I Am Legend coming to HDDVD

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
I really don't want to wait 3 weeks for the HD DVD copy. I'll be picking it up on Blu-Ray.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
kobylka68 said:
I really don't want to wait 3 weeks for the HD DVD copy. I'll be picking it up on Blu-Ray.

Good for you bro.

But some of us didn't waste the money on a PS3 yet.

Have fun watching movies on your videogame console.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
DurandalThoth said:
Also just picked up an HD-A35 for 269 from amazon, cheapest 1080p player on the planet, and passes HD audio via bitstream for encoding by your reciever, even the PS3 can't do that....

No, because bitstream is retarded if you like PiP and Advanced Authoring. None of those features can be used unless the audio is decoded in the player!

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Um, the PS3 does allow Dolby TrueHD via bitstream for decoding. Only DTS-HD MA isn't supported--just like every other HDM player. It'll be funny when they finally add it via firmware though.

Or, you can skip that nonsense altogether and send the uncompressed PCM audio that most Blu-ray titles have thanks to the extra space.

lol @ compressed audio and HD-DVD's last stand supported by fire sale prices and studio contractual obligations

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
thirdkind said:
Um, the PS3 does allow Dolby TrueHD via bitstream for decoding. Only DTS-HD MA isn't supported--just like every other HDM player. It'll be funny when they finally add it via firmware though.

Or, you can skip that nonsense altogether and send the uncompressed PCM audio that most Blu-ray titles have thanks to the extra space.

lol @ compressed audio and HD-DVD's last stand supported by fire sale prices and studio contractual obligations

I think it is interesting how Sony will only release firmware updates enabling new BD features on the PS3 when the standalone players have the capability to do so.

On the subject of the original topic, I just lol'd when I read it.

It releases 3 weeks later than the BD version.

Buying it knowing that Warner is dumping HD DVD in May is the height of stupidity.

I also wonder how true some of the rumors are floating around with regards to Best Buy considering eliminating HD DVD from the stores altogether. I think I would lol even more if that happens and the Warner HD DVD releases become pointless.

Hooray for firesales and 2 studio support for a shit format!

I like how the HD DVD fanboys over on AVS try to spin all the studios underneath Warner leaving by saying, "BBC is still supporting HD DVD." This all reminds me a lot of the Titanic sinking and the band continuing to play on as the ship was going down.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
I swear DangerousK, you are a true asshole. I can't picture you having any friends in real life, because you just act like a complete fanboy douche.

I've made piece with smokehouse, cause he's actually a good guy who I just misunderstood, but christ K, you are a moron.

HDDVD is not dead, nothing has changed since the warner announcement. Warner is still releasing movies on HDDVD for the time being. Don't be such an assuming faggot.

And Toshiba is only going to sell more players with the recent price cuts.

Just because bluray might win the "Special Olympics" relay race with HDDVD. Doesn't mean DVD and Digital Downloads won't kill bluray.

And even if Toshiba starts making bluray players next year, it's almost assured they will include HDDVD support in them for quite awhile, so HDDVD collections will play fine, for years (I still own Laserdiscs).

In 2007, 16 billion DVDs were sold worldwide.

In 2007, Only 11 million HDDVD/Bluray discs were shipped, WORLDWIDE.

Don't act like some trust fund baby who just inherited something, because your format will probably also die off the ways things are now. And with SONY completely running the fucking show now, you can almost bet on it.

And with Toshiba and co. not around to have price wars and bogos, you can expect BD pricing to level off, they will have no rush to lower prices, and will have no reason to give discs away anymore. Have fun paying full price for everything.

This is probably the last time I'll post about HDM at this forum, because there are so many BD fanboys here, and anyone else chiming in doesn't really know a damn thing about HDM.

Moron.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Funny how the tune changed once it became obvious how wrong you've been this whole time.

Digital downloads? Are you serious? It'll be a decade before truly fast broadband will achieve enough penetration to challenge traditional optical media.

All your predictions have been wrong, and they will continue to be wrong.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
DurandalThoth said:
I swear DangerousK, you are a true asshole. I can't picture you having any friends in real life, because you just act like a complete fanboy douche.

I've made piece with smokehouse, cause he's actually a good guy who I just misunderstood, but christ K, you are a moron.

HDDVD is not dead, nothing has changed since the warner announcement. Warner is still releasing movies on HDDVD for the time being. Don't be such an assuming faggot.

And Toshiba is only going to sell more players with the recent price cuts.

Just because bluray might win the "Special Olympics" relay race with HDDVD. Doesn't mean DVD and Digital Downloads won't kill bluray.

And even if Toshiba starts making bluray players next year, it's almost assured they will include HDDVD support in them for quite awhile, so HDDVD collections will play fine, for years (I still own Laserdiscs).

In 2007, Only 11 million HDDVD/Bluray discs were shipped, WORLDWIDE.

Don't act like some trust fund baby who just inherited something, because your format will probably also die off the ways things are now. And with SONY completely running the fucking show now, you can almost bet on it.

And with Toshiba and co. not around to have price wars and bogos, you can expect BD pricing to level off, they will have no rush to lower prices, and will have no reason to give discs away anymore. Have fun paying full price for everything.

This is probably the last time I'll post about HDM at this forum, because there are so many BD fanboys here, and anyone else chiming in doesn't really know a damn thing about HDM.

Moron.

Do you want a tissue you little faggot?

Most of the people who post about HDM here are more knowledgeable about it than you are.

So many things wrong with your post I can't even be bothered to respond.

But then again, I don't need to since your track record speaks for itself.

Good riddance, make sure you run a razor blade up and down your arms so the world becomes a better place.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
thirdkind said:
Funny how the tune changed once it became obvious how wrong you've been this whole time.

Digital downloads? Are you serious? It'll be a decade before truly fast broadband will achieve enough penetration to challenge traditional optical media.

All your predictions have been wrong, and they will continue to be wrong.

thirdkind,

What cracks me up about his posting about digital downloads is the thread over on AVS about it. Not sure if you've seen it. But, it's really comedy gold. All of the HD DVD fanboys were in their various states of denial over the end for their beloved format coming. He can't even think for himself since he had to bring up a topic that started over there. Really pathetic.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
DurandalThoth said:
Have fun watching movies on your videogame console.

:conf:

xbox360-hddvd-lg.jpg

legendofspeed

B. Jenet's Firstmate
DurandalThoth said:
But some of us didn't waste the money on a PS3 yet.

And buying HD-DVD isn't a waste because... :conf:

HD-DVD = the next neo•geo! I'm just playing on that one, but I wouldn't be suprised if in a couple of months Dashy tries to making us think HD-DVD is the new ub3r ultr4 r4re :oh_no:

DurandalThoth said:
HDDVD is not dead, nothing has changed since the warner announcement.

True, some things change in life and some things never change at all. Like how you can't accept you're wrong on the whole hd-dvd vs. bluray war and now up to your neck in your own bullshit you created. Dashykins, just accept you were wrong and people on this forum will respect you more.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I am Legend wasn't even that great to begin with lol. God it's amazing how immature people get when they're challenged, like some people are blind to truth.

Stupid thread.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Is it worth it to link this thread in my sig too? This is hilarious. Everything he says is wrong, and then when it's proven false, he just never responds to anyone and tries to change the subject.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
LMFAO.

I must say this though, I will miss the BOGOs. Competition in the market does have it's pluses.

Still glad it's over though. Time to focus on BD now. :)

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
thirdkind said:
Um, the PS3 does allow Dolby TrueHD via bitstream for decoding. Only DTS-HD MA isn't supported--just like every other HDM player.

Actually it doesn't. It can decode the TrueHD and then send it out as if it was PCM, exactly like the PCM that is found on most Blu-ray releases still. You are right that there are no players out yet that decode DTS-HD, but there are a number of them that can bitstream it. I believe the A35 is one of them.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
DurandalThoth said:

In 2007, Only 11 million HD DVD/Blu-ray Discs were shipped, WORLDWIDE.

And how many years have DVD been out?

aluisi

Geese's Thug
The last act of a desperate company price cuts LOL
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/GadgetGuide/wireStory?id=4131188

Also the PS3 is the reason why Blu-Ray won. Look at the install base around the world of PS3's vs. Xbox 360 HD-DVD drives. you will see why blu-ray won. If Toshiba wrent such dumb asses and made sure Microsoft included a HD DVD drive standard in the 360 from launch day rather then a normal dvd drive HD DVD would have won. This goes to show how much pull the gaming community has.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Kristian Meller said:
Actually it doesn't. It can decode the TrueHD and then send it out as if it was PCM, exactly like the PCM that is found on most Blu-ray releases still. You are right that there are no players out yet that decode DTS-HD, but there are a number of them that can bitstream it. I believe the A35 is one of them.

Are you sure? what is the bitstream sound out option for then on PS3, i'm not sure about this. I was pretty convinced this allowed your reciever to do the decoding.

For the record, I am legend was far from legendary, the hive creatures were frankly, awful.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
The bitstream option is only for the optical output, where you're not getting any high definition sound out in any case. I know this because I was looking through those settings last night before watching Blade Runner...

The PS3 just doesn't bitstream high definition sound, and won't be able to because the HDMI chip was custom designed for it. But when they add DTS-HD decoding, it won't matter anyway.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Just wanted to also add that the day Toshiba dropped their HD DVD player prices to those firesale costs sealed their fate. How can you expect any major CE company to come on board when you've effectively lowered the price so much they would never be able to compete. They do want to make money, and HD DVD was not the smart choice for making money.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Kristian Meller said:

Yup, I did some more research and you're right. My mistake. Thankfully, it does decode it internally and send it out as PCM, which is what the receiver's decoder is doing anyway (decompressing into the original PCM). I'm sure the same decoding will be added for DTS-HD MA.

There has always been this stigma that decoding done in the player is somehow inferior to decoding done in the receiver. Audiophiles will go on and on about the benefits of a dedicated processor. I used to be a supporter of such snobbery, along with the snobbery of dismissing a game console as a Blu-ray player because it couldn't possibly provide the same quality as a high-end player.

The PS3 is as high-end as it gets. Built like a tank, fantastic image quality, and huge amounts of processing power allowing significant performance and feature enhancements. The only thing I find somewhat disappointing is its appearance. Something more PS2-like would've made for a cool A/V component.

And the difference between decoding in the player and sending PCM and decoding in the receiver? I'll give any audiophile $1000 if they can reliably tell the difference (80% accuracy or better) in a double blind listening test.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Yeah, this probably shouldn't be called 'decoding', because that seems to make people think there's bad and good decoding. It's actually closer to 'unpacking', where unpacked TrueHD or DTS-HD is exactly the same as the PCM track many manufacturers just put on the disc anyway. 300 had both TrueHD and PCM, which seems rather pointless...