Project Interest: Mini-Marquee archive?

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
I was thinking about trying to get hi resolution scans of the mini-marquees and maybe putting them in an archive and serving them as a torrent or something similar. Would anybody else be interested in this? Would a project like this be considered taboo? If it doesn't step on anybodies toes and there's enough interest I can come up with some requirements for the scans. Something like 300 dpi tiff files without color correction. Maybe scan them a little big so they can be correctly cropped the right size. Opinions?

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks for the link. The problem with those is they are low resolution scans and are not capable of being reproduced at high quality on a inkjet or other printer. That website will make a good reference though. If I'm missing something, please correct me if I'm wrong... like you guys wouldn't anyway. ;)

Correction: Most of those are low res, but I would still like to create a controlled archive with set standards.

Last edited:

zer010gic

Kabuki Klasher
A high scan archive would be nice. I have been working on finding a print shop that could reproduce minis for me. Its a little harder of a process then you would think.

Corey

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
Okay, a day with no objections, so I'm starting to do some research. I noticed that it seems some games were released without mini marquees. I've found that KOF 2K3, Matrimelee, MS4, MS5 & Nightmare in the Dark have full size marquees in lieu of minis. Can somebody confirm? Does anybody know of any other games released without minis? I've seen some home brew mini marquees for some of these games. I would like to include them, but also verify that there are no legitimate marquees produced and label the custom ones as such. I'm compiling a list to include in the archive so at a glance people will know what we have and what we need.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Witchboard said:
Okay, a day with no objections, so I'm starting to do some research. I noticed that it seems some games were released without mini marquees. I've found that KOF 2K3, Matrimelee, MS4, MS5 & Nightmare in the Dark have full size marquees in lieu of minis. Can somebody confirm? Does anybody know of any other games released without minis? I've seen some home brew mini marquees for some of these games. I would like to include them, but also verify that there are no legitimate marquees produced and label the custom ones as such. I'm compiling a list to include in the archive so at a glance people will know what we have and what we need.

SSVS, SSV, Zupapa, KOF2k2 and Rage of the Dragons all have either no mini marquee or paper marquees.

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks for the tips. I thought SSVS was a hack. Is it a legitimate Playmore release? I've honestly always been confused about this.

Also, would it be possible to elaborate on which games had paper and which had none? I think paper would be fine since that's most likely the media these will be created on, but I would like to note it in the archive. Thanks again.

Last edited:

zer010gic

Kabuki Klasher
Witchboard said:
Thanks for the tips. I thought SSVS was a hack. Is it a legitimate Playmore release? I've honestly always been confused about this.

Also, would it be possible to elaborate on which games had paper and which had none? I think paper would be fine since that's most likely the media these will be created on, but I would like to note it in the archive. Thanks again.

SSVS is totaly legit it was the last MVS release by Playmore period.

Corey

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
Well, that asnwers that question. :D I'll start a new thread asking what the difference is so we can keep this one on topic.

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
Whats the exact size of a MM? Dont have a ruler handy to measure one heh.

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
Borman said:
Whats the exact size of a MM? Dont have a ruler handy to measure one heh.

Yes. It's 5 7/16" by 4 7/16".

It seems my MS3 is a bit taller than my older minis. I've got a few scanned in and cropped them 5.387" by 4.437". This cut down the MS3 by maybe an 8th of an inch or so. The final file size is 6.16MB each. I've uploaded the MS3 scan here as a preview. This will be a large archive so it will probably have to be a torrent. Any suggestions on how something like this should be hosted?

Last edited:

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
Might as well start with the begging:

Please email your submissions to witchboard@gmail.com following the below guidelines with your name so you may be given credit for your contribution.

Please submit an original scan and not a scan found on the Internet as those may have been altered by either color correction or re-sampled to acquire a specific dpi/size.

Use a piece of black construction paper to back lightly colored marquees so the edges are easily identified.

Scan your original marquee at 300 dpi with no automatic color/contrast corrections.

Allow extra room around your marquee when scanning so it can be cropped to a standardized size.

Save as an uncompressed TIFF (.tif) file for lossless quality. Each image will be approximately 7MB in size.

I've setup a page at my website about the project located here.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
If this gets going strong, I can host it off a dedicated server.

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
I appreciate the offer. I'm hoping with all the guys we can get a good archive going. If it does, I would love to take you up on that. I'll probably keep seeding the archive as a whole on bittorrent, but a dedicated host would be good for single image downloads.

I really like your idea, it's something I've been thinking about too. I'm in the process of trying to acquire a good sized lot of marquees and would like to help with this. Great initiative!

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
Is this just going to be Mini Marquees or do you also want to upload Flyers and Stickers as well? Just wondering

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
El Castigador said:
I'm in the process of trying to acquire a good sized lot of marquees and would like to help with this.

We would welcome any help you could offer. :D

Is this just going to be Mini Marquees or do you also want to upload Flyers and Stickers as well? Just wondering

This is a good question and an interesting thought. If you would like to scan the rest of your kit you are welcome to send it. This is something I would like to have input on from the rest of the community. As cool as it would be to have the entire kit scanned, it unfortunately may also make it easier for unscrupulous people to take advantage of. I would hate to see an entire bootlegged kit up on eBay.

Opinions?

pellucidity

Rugal's Thug
Witchboard said:
We would welcome any help you could offer. :D

This is a good question and an interesting thought. If you would like to scan the rest of your kit you are welcome to send it. This is something I would like to have input on from the rest of the community. As cool as it would be to have the entire kit scanned, it unfortunately may also make it easier for unscrupulous people to take advantage of. I would hate to see an entire bootlegged kit up on eBay.

Opinions?

I think we could have a site up with the images hosted, maybe I could use my .mac or something for the images - but only make the mini marquees publicly available without a watermark. I know "ruined" images suck, but piracy killed the Neo and it could hurt the market more.

I would be willing to be involved in this, and merge it with the effort to have sample images of non-boot boards for all MVS games. A Neo-Archive. Scans of the PCBs to help with fixes. All those big heavy images that people imageshack and let expire now - a counterpart to HardMVS

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
There's already a number of high res scanned flyers at The Archive Flyer Database. What I may suggest is to check there and see if the Flyers have already been scanned. If not, send them their way. There's no sense in recreating the wheel. I just haven't seen any nearly complete mini collection that's standardized with dpi and size. We'll have to see how it goes. According to Mininova the archive has been downloaded 158 times, so hopefully the word is getting out.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
if we start worrying about piracy we wont get anything worth whiled done.

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
I can see a legitimate interest in having the scans of the move stickers, but the flyers? What else do you do with them other than keep them in the kit box?

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
as neogeo is getting older at some point we must perverse the fagile paper documents with more time it will be harder to collect