GameCube Controller Logic Help?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Anyone know anything about the GameCube controller logic?

This might seem like a strange question but I'm determined to have a decent controller to use with the Metal Slug Anthology on the Wii.

Unfortunately a arcade stick won't work because SNKP didn't program the dpad as a movement control option, only the analog stick.

So, is there anyway to have a signal be sent (like say from a microswitch for left) as a signal for left on the analog stick?

Seems hard to phrase which makes me think it will be hard/impossible to do, but I want digital controls sent through the analog joystick to the GameCube/Wii. I don't want a microswitch to act as an analog control I know that's impossible.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
lithy said:

This might seem like a strange question but I'm determined to have a decent controller to use with the Metal Slug Anthology on the Wii.

Unfortunately a arcade stick won't work because SNKP didn't program the dpad as a movement control option, only the analog stick.

So, is there anyway to have a signal be sent (like say from a microswitch for left) as a signal for left on the analog stick?

Seems hard to phrase which makes me think it will be hard/impossible to do, but I want digital controls sent through the analog joystick to the GameCube/Wii. I don't want a microswitch to act as an analog control I know that's impossible.

The left stick of the GCN uses 4 Hal-effect sensors right?

If so, a hack would be very similar to hacking the stick of the dreamcast...

lithy

20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
The left stick of the GCN uses 4 Hal-effect sensors right?

If so, a hack would be very similar to hacking the stick of the dreamcast...

Which would involve.... ;)

To be honest I don't know much about electronics involving logic chips.

When its a straight wire connecting the pin out and the button I'm a boy genius, but after that I need my mommy.

I'm doing my best to find any tech related writeups about the controller, so far I haven't seen any mention of what sensors it uses for the analog stick. I've only come across some pictures of the board.

Blurry pic of the front without the sticks mounted.
http://www.porkchopsammiches.com/tendomod/DCP00623.JPG

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
lithy said:
Those aren't my pics and I don't have a gamecube controller on hand anymore, but from what I remember that little box is soldered down to the board.

So that's a maybe?

lithy

20 Year Member
Ok best I can tell from pictures and comparison, the GameCube controller looks like it works with potentiometers rather than hall effects sensors.

Couldn't find a direct source but anyway, both are apparently hackable into a digital signal it is just might be harder with the pots than the sensors.

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_consoles.shtml#analog

Either way, guess I need a controller.

toodles

Zero's Secretary
lithy said:
I'm still working on getting GameCube support into the UPCB, but I've spent a lot of time reading up on the GC protocol. I have most of it implemented in the UPCB but havent gotten it completely working yet. But it doesn't sound like you're worry about the GC protocol itself, just how to hack the pad.

If you dont want to hack a pad, you'll either have to wait for me to get GC support working in UPCB, or modify the code at http://www.ppl-pilot.com/ (the receiver half, not the transmitter) to do what you want.
lithy said:

Depending on how hardcore you wanted to do it, sure, theres tons of ways. If you're making a dedicated arcade stick for it, then the easiest would be to use a stick that doesnt use a common ground like a Happ Competition or most Seimitsu's. If you want to use a JLF, remove the microswitch board and replace it with 4 cherry microswitches.

The potentiometer for Up and Down on the Gamecube controller has three pins; a high, a low, and a middle wiper. You want the microswitch for Up on your stick to connect the low to the middle wiper. You want the microswitch for Down on your stick to connect the high to the wiper. You are going to want to test because I may have the Up=low and Down=high mapping backwards, but either way, the connections are the same. One direction connects the middle pin to one of the outside pins, and the other direction connect the middle pin to the other outside pin.

Repeat for the X axis. Find the pins on the pot, have the left switch connect the middle to one of the outer pins, and have the right connect the middle to the other outer pin.

You should be able to figure out which pin is for each direction by seeing how the analog stick moves. The stick moves towards the outer pin the direction should move. The Down pin is the one on the up/down pot closest to the d-pad, for instance.

That's the easiest hacky way of doing it. Make sure to hot glue the analog stick to it says forever in neutral.

Last edited: