sega genesis mods

24-bit

Kuroko's Training Dummy
hello,
I realize this is not a neo concern, but does anyone here do s-video mods on the genesis? if so how much? thanks

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
hello,
I realize this is not a neo concern, but does anyone here do s-video mods on the genesis? if so how much? thanks

There's enough Saturn and Dreamcast threads that your post is prolly right at home. ;)

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I do, but I'm sure you'll be able to find someone much closer than me..

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What model/version Genesis is it? Some Genny 1s have a problem with S-video showing lines and stuff.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I do, but I'm sure you'll be able to find someone much closer than me..

Oh man, Hewitson. I just noticed your sig. LMFAO.

Anyways, my Genesis is a model 1 with the red stripe and headphone jack. Is that one of the good ones to mod, or are there a bunch of revisions like teh Neo?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Oh man, Hewitson. I just noticed your sig. LMFAO.
:lol:
Billkwando said:
Anyways, my Genesis is a model 1 with the red stripe and headphone jack. Is that one of the good ones to mod, or are there a bunch of revisions like teh Neo?
There is a bunch of revisions. The audio quality is the main difference, with the non-TMSS units having the best sound.

I would not bother modding a machine unless it's an early one with out the TMSS. The sound is just so much better. Clearer, and much nicer bass.

Edit: In case you are unfamiliar with the term TMSS, it is when you switch the machine on and it says "Produced by or under license for sega enterprises ltd".

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Edit: In case you are unfamiliar with the term TMSS, it is when you switch the machine on and it says "Produced by or under license for sega enterprises ltd".

Yeah, I was gonna ask. So this shows up on the screen before the Seeeegaaaaaaaa or whatever? Prolly a good sign that it doesn't sound familiar, but I know this one was bought after the Sega CD came out and came bundled with Streets of Rage 2 (IIRC), so I sincerely doubt it's an early enough model.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Yeah, it's the very first thing you see when you switch on the machine.

%5BBIOS%5D%20Genesis%20TMSS%20(U).png

Mike26

McWow,
i remember reading about a solder job to disable that annoying TMSS screen but the catch was if you did the mod, you could not use a 32x or sega cd addons.

Lemme see if i can find the mod link somewhere back in 2000 or even 1990s.

EDIT:

Wow i am retarded i reread the op and realized hes looking for specific svideo mod. Sorry peeps

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
i remember reading about a solder job to disable that annoying TMSS screen but the catch was if you did the mod, you could not use a 32x or sega cd addons.

Lemme see if i can find the mod link somewhere back in 2000 or even 1990s.

EDIT:

Wow i am retarded i reread the op and realized hes looking for specific svideo mod. Sorry peeps

Totally fooled me. I was kinda wondering how removing the screen would improve the audio quality.

I don't find that screen annoying. I wanna hump it. As a matter of fact, the rest of you can send me your unwanted TMSS screens. By the time I'm done, my Genesis will show that message for a full 5 minutes every time I turn it on! Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!

Last edited:

Mike26

McWow,
Totally fooled me. I was kinda wondering how removing the screen would improve the audio quality.

I don't find that screen annoying. I wanna hump it. As a matter of fact, the rest of you can send me your unwanted TMSS screens. By the time I'm done, my Genesis will show that message for a full 5 minutes every time I turn it on! Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!

welp then you wouldn't like this chap's Genesis 2:

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3337.0

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
That thing still works? Most be annoying to have to open the case up everything you want to switch something. :S

Whats with the VFD tubes?

sonofx51

If you're even THINKING about TRADING with this us
That thing still works? Most be annoying to have to open the case up everything you want to switch something. :S

Whats with the VFD tubes?

I believe that he has the cover off at all times, also the VFD Tubes say "5E6A" when on.

sonofx51

He posts over on sega-16, he's made some awesome mods available for the Genesis 2/MD2. I read somewhere that he has the cover off of his MD2 all the time, and there was a picture of the MD2 on with the VFD tubes lit up, it looked awesome.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Well I never been one for random leds lighting up everything to begin with. ;)

Mike26

McWow,
Fo reals. That thing is gonna become self-aware and kill us all.

amen to that!

i think the issue was that the guy kept osting it in every gadforsaken forum and referring to it every 10 posts when he first came out with it. Everyone just kinda ignored it. Honestly, this isn't the original mod i was talking about, but after searching google this guy's mod was every friggin result

sonofx51

amen to that!

i think the issue was that the guy kept osting it in every gadforsaken forum and referring to it every 10 posts when he first came out with it. Everyone just kinda ignored it. Honestly, this isn't the original mod i was talking about, but after searching google this guy's mod was every friggin result

His main post is about the CCAM - Crystal Clear Audio Mod for the Genesis 2 systems, it makes a HUGE difference and sounds better than the non-tmss systems in my opinion. You can read more about it here http://sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7686

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
From the TF4 sample it just sounds like he built a mid-high pass crossover.

sonofx51

From the TF4 sample it just sounds like he built a mid-high pass crossover.

I don't pretend to know anything about sound other that what my ears hear and like. To me it makes a HUGE difference in clarity. I've tested it side by side with a Non-TMSS Gen1, a TMSS Gen 1, 2 different Gen 2's, Gen 3, CDX, X'Eye, Wondermega 2, as well as with Sega CD attached which improves sound on Gen 2's without mods. I like it better than any combo and without mods. I think as far as stock systems the CDX is the best followed by the non-tmss, then the x'eye or wondermega 2, then Gen 3 even if it's mono without mods, then TMSS Gen1 and worse is the Gen2's.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think he should offer a pre-built circuit for the people that can't do that mod. That way everyone can enjoy it.

sonofx51

I think he should offer a pre-built circuit for the people that can't do that mod. That way everyone can enjoy it.

He does, they are 21 euro shipped to anywhere in the world. He emails instructions as well. It only works for a few models of the Genesis 2 but they are pretty common models especially in the US.