NG.com Beer Thread/Beer Discussion

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Guess who works at the 2012 GABF Large Brewpub of the Year?

w00t.

4 medals for us!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Kickass!

Congrats man, you get a medal or trophy or something like that? Display it with pride.

lithy

20 Year Member
Kickass!

Congrats man, you get a medal or trophy or something like that? Display it with pride.

Here is Matt, our brewer that went out this year.

57899_10151196785949820_1789140638_n.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have to get some of your guys' brew.

Also...the BREWING NETWORK!?!

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Congrats, lithyness! Did the employees get any awesome perks thanks to the win?

Also, this Krunkin' Pumpkin is lethal. It's spicy, a little sweet, and heavy as a mofo. I'll be keeping the bottle since it's so limited.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
My brother sent me a beer gift bucket with 5 kinds of brews:

Sam Adams Winter Lager
Magic Hat #9
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Long Trail Hibernator
Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale

I can't wait to dig into those last two. I've never seen them before.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Back in October, I bought this:

MSsNE.jpg

It was Saint Arnold's limited fall release. At the recommendation of my manager and beer guy, I let it sit for about two months before drinking it.

And yes, I'm glad I let it age up a bit.

It's like someone took an Imperial Stout and mixed it with a pumpkin pie... and succeeded. It's so fragrant and lovely and mellow, yet it retains its stout strength. Definitely not for the weak.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I recently picked up a 4-pack of Sierra Nevada Narwal Imperial Stout. My wife and I shared one the other night, and it was great - thick, roasty yet smooth, super tasty, and with good amount of light brown head that stuck around for a while. I'm putting the other three bottles away for a while. I can't wait to try them after a year or two.

lithy

20 Year Member
Was just in Jacksonville, FL over the holiday and got to tour Intuition Ale Works and sample their beer. Very positive stuff going on beer-wise in Jax, and especially at Intuition.

Then left FL for St. Louis, MO. Got a special tour at the downtown location of Schlafly Brewing. Sample some beer, traded beer with the tour guide and left with some nice stuff. Found my new favorite beverage. Schlafly Single Malt Scotch Ale (beer aged in Islay whisky casks). Beer, that tastes like Scotch! Nice.

Then toured the historic Anheuser-Busch facility. Very impressive buildings. Much older than the Jacksonville AB plant I have toured previously. Awesome 4 story hop chandeliers in the brewhouse area. An absolutely insane cellar. 3600BBL tanks 11 wide and stacked 6 high for nearly 250,000BBL lagering capacity every three weeks. For reference. My brewery (large by brewpub standards) does 2500BBL ANNUALLY.

All in all, a good family trip with daily drinking and some beer focused activities.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I recently picked up a 4-pack of Sierra Nevada Narwal Imperial Stout. My wife and I shared one the other night, and it was great - thick, roasty yet smooth, super tasty, and with good amount of light brown head that stuck around for a while. I'm putting the other three bottles away for a while. I can't wait to try them after a year or two.

Yeah I really liked that one. Sierra Nevada generally puts out good stuff.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
What is your favorite Beer? - Probably Tannen Zaepfle
What beer do you drink most often? - Depends on the time of year. Bock in Autumn/Winter, Wheatbeer in Summer
What's your favorite "cheap" beer? - Franziskaner Hefeweissen, 1 euro per pint can. You can't say fairer than that!
Any good local breweries near you? - Any Belgian ones. Really nice local one called Gulpener Bierbrouwerij
Do you brew your own beer? - No, but I'd really like to!

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Tonight I'm trying out an Old Brown Dog Ale from Smuttynose Brewery. It's a touch hoppy but very VERY smooth. I'm not even a big fan of hops and I'm liking this.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
What is your favorite Beer? - Probably Tannen Zaepfle
What beer do you drink most often? - Depends on the time of year. Bock in Autumn/Winter, Wheatbeer in Summer
What's your favorite "cheap" beer? - Franziskaner Hefeweissen, 1 euro per pint can. You can't say fairer than that!
Any good local breweries near you? - Any Belgian ones. Really nice local one called Gulpener Bierbrouwerij
Do you brew your own beer? - No, but I'd really like to!

Interest set of questions there. I'll give my go at it.

What is your favorite beer? - Dogfish Head Burton Baton
What beer do you drink most often? - Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - it's delicious, strong, and relatively affordable. Easily the best "bang for your buck" in the commercial beer market.
What's your favorite "cheap" beer? - Besides the beer I brew (which is very affordable), I guess Dos Equis Amber, preferably with a lime wedge, is about the cheapest beer that I drink on a semi-regular basis.
Any good local breweries near you? - I live very close to Hoppin' Frog Brewery, which is consistently ranked in the Top 20 on ratebeer.com. I'm pretty close to Thirsty Dog, Great Lakes, Lagerhead's, and Brew Kettle, as well.
Do you brew your own beer? - Yes. My wife and I have been homebrewing for about three years. We mostly like to make IPAs and seasonal beers with fresh additives like pumpkin, carrots, vanilla beans, and fruit (many of them from our own garden).

I can't end this post without listing honorable mentions for the first question: Troeg's Nugget Nectar, Three Floyds Zombie Dust, Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin', North Coast Old Stock Ale (aged for a few years), Founders Porter, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale, and Dogfish Head Raison d'Extra (this theme of loving Dogfish Head transcends into the bar area in my basement - I'll take/post pictures one day). Honestly, I love pretty much anything by Dogfish Head, Founders, Three Floyds, Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada, Stone, Cigar City, Pizza Port, Southern Tier, Hoppin' Frog, New Glarus, and Victory.

lithy

20 Year Member
Hill Farmstead is doing some very good stuff. What I've been able to have from them is solid, the hype is a bit ridiculous, but you can't blame them for that. I hope to make it up there someday.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I agree. Beer is good, but nothing near to the hype. I think it's mostly because it's tough to get a hold of. My family is all in Pittsburgh, I can always bring some VT product down there.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Giant Beer Post Ahoy!

Last month, I visited South Florida, and I had a TON of brews:

Randy's Fishtail Ale - The house brew at Randy's Fish Market and Restaurant in Naples, FL. Kinda hoppy and heavy for such a climate, but damn it pairs well with conch fritters.

59qV5iU.jpg

Blue Point Brewery Toasted Lager - Toasty! indeed. Also pretty light and crispy... yes, crispy. Got this at at Marco Island Brewery, which oddly enough had no actual house brews. And they were out of half the stuff I wanted.

VnJMo88.jpg

a6cd7SH.jpg

Big Wave Golden Ale - From Kona Brewing. Tastes kind of like wheat and passion fruit. It's really refreshing and goes well with a giant crab cake sandwich.

pDvQXxR.jpg

Agave Wheat - From Breckenridge Brewery. I found this at a Mexican joint in Ft. Lauderdale. Kind of sweet, but in a good way. Probably my second favorite of the trip.

4FhPjl8.jpg

Key West Sunset Ale - From Florida Beer Co. Probably the least impressive. Drinkable, but nothing special.

Vjsxfg8.jpg

Maduro Brown Ale - From Cigar City Brewing, Tampa, FL. My favorite of the trip. Nice and strong with a toffee aftertaste. I can see this going well with dessert... or a cigar.

HxyGBHF.jpg

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When does beer go bad in a can? I just bought some imported German beer but it says it was manufactured July of last year. It tasted good, yeah, but something was a little off about it.

I'm not asking about expiration, I'm asking when the taste goes bad.

When does beer go bad in a can? I just bought some imported German beer but it says it was manufactured July of last year. It tasted good, yeah, but something was a little off about it.

I'm not asking about expiration, I'm asking when the taste goes bad.

Doesn't tempter condition affect that? like at least because im sure if you have a semi old canned beer thats been kept in a neutral tempter environment it will still taste good.

i deal with wines at work and some times stuff thats supposed to be new stock can come to us a bit skunky but thats do to shipping and what not.

lithy

20 Year Member
I could have swore that I typed up a reply to you LoneStage.

Basically, beer in cans goes bad for much the same reason that beer in bottles does.

Truthfully, it never goes 'bad', but it will get old, stale, and generally not taste good.

Cans don't have to worry about UV rays which cause lightstruck or skunky flavors. UV reacts with certain hop chemicals and actually changes them into the exact chemical compound in skunk spray. Cans aren't penetrable by light so this isn't an issue.

Oxygen is the biggest destroyer of beer. Any pickup and any point in process following primary fermentation will begin to deteriorate and oxidize the malt and hops in beer. Oxidized malt usually present as papery or cardboard flavors, some oxidized flavors in bigger beer (think over 10% ABV) can be somewhat pleasant such as sherry or port, oxidized hops are harder to describe, but generally are cheesy. We measure our beer at packaging to picking up about 20ppb O2, ideally we should be in the single digits.

I personally can tell a difference between beer on the day of packaging and week old beer that has already begun to oxidize, this is harder to do if you can't pull beer from the line to sample and most consumers don't see beer on the shelf until it is at least 2 weeks old already.

We have a pull date for our product of 3 months, like I said, after that it isn't going to kill anyone, but it won't taste good. Certain beers do better at surviving oxidized flavors like I said, our Dunkel (German dark lager) is more shelf stable than our IPA.

Hope that this mostly answers your question, basically look for beer dated under a month when possible, buy local beer, and know that beer is a product best drank fresh.