The Comic Book Thread

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
What's that Priority: White Heat one about? Never heard of it, although the cover art looks nice.

The only comics I've read lately are a couple of back issues of Shonen Jump that I got for dirt cheap (Shaman King is surprisingly cool; I'd heard of it before, but never tried it) and the second volume of a Korean manga, Utopia's Avenger, which has nice art, but the story is pretty blah as it's nothing but one drawn-out fight scene after another with little substance to back it up.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
It's a spy action thriller from the 80's

I had never heard of it until I saw it at that shop, not much gun play leads to deaths but a lot of people including her have the weakness of blunt objects to the back of the head take them out real quick

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I have to say I've been enjoying Batman. Mr. Bloom is the most sadistic villain in Batman's gallery of rouges in a loooong time.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
After DKII and Holy Terror I'm way off the Miller hype train

Holy Terror? The Elseworlds book from 1991 or was there something else that used that name? :scratch:

Edit: DERP...I forgot about this...

Holy-Terror-cover-Frank-Miller.jpeg

I never was a big Frank Miller guy to begin with though this is one of my absolute favorite covers...

37b6eae80d6861314a83c94bd8da9123.jpg

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
His DD covers and run are great, really dug his covers for Lone Wolf & Cub

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Went on a big Swamp Thing kick lately

I got:
-Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing volumes 1-6 in TPB format
-Swamp Thing New 52 volumes 1-7 in TPB format
-Swamp Thing on Blu Ray
-Return of the Swamp Thing on DVD
-Swamp Thing the Series on DVD

And I've been picking up the new Len Wein monthly mini series in single issue format. So far the first two are out.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Went on a big Swamp Thing kick lately

I got:
-Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing volumes 1-6 in TPB format
-Swamp Thing New 52 volumes 1-7 in TPB format
-Swamp Thing on Blu Ray
-Return of the Swamp Thing on DVD
-Swamp Thing the Series on DVD

And I've been picking up the new Len Wein monthly mini series in single issue format. So far the first two are out.

I actually met Steve Bissette, John Totleben, and Rick Veitch at a con last year, Biseete even did a free sketch of swampy in my volume one of the Moore run

famicommander

15 Year Member
That's pretty awesome.

I also just picked up Roots of the Swamp Thing volume 1, which covers the beginning of Wein's original Swamp Thing run.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Anyone grab Master Race yet? Cant wait to tear into it!

I'm really digging it so far. It's pretty great.

Even though it follows the awful DK II, it feels like a more worthy successor to the original.

As I understand it, Miller is only involved with the plotting but Azarello is doing most of the scripting.

It's one of my favorite reads right now.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member

Even though it follows the awful DK II, it feels like a more worthy successor to the original.

As I understand it, Miller is only involved with the plotting but Azarello is doing most of the scripting.

Same here, extremely well done.

I'm reading DK III on the DC app. Often times I'm a physical media whore but digital comics are great! So nice to read a few panels when I'm waiting around or right before bed.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent

I'm surprised by how much I've enjoyed DKIII, but I still think they're charging too damn much for it

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Same here, extremely well done.

I'm reading DK III on the DC app. Often times I'm a physical media whore but digital comics are great! So nice to read a few panels when I'm waiting around or right before bed.

I just splerged on the IDW sale Comixology is having, bought the last couple of TMNT trades

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Starting up the start of the Abnett & Lanning w / Coipiel run on Legion Of Superheroes

I've always had a weird relationship with The Legion as my intro to them was the era Chris Sprouse was doing the art and everything else just seemed weird or confusing to me( I was a teen and my attention span was short as shit ) until I came across some of Keith Geffin's run by way of Jason Pearson.

I did like the short lived cartoon even when they damn near killed off all the female characters in the second season

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Starting up the start of the Abnett & Lanning w / Coipiel run on Legion Of Superheroes

It's great all the way until DnA leave the series. At which point, it immediately tanks. Gail Simone helps tank it, actually, which is a surprise.

Starting with 'Legion of the Damned' in the main book, it continues into

Legion Lost (12 part mini-series), also with Coipel. This is the one from 2000, not the pointless 2011 series of the same name.
Legion Worlds (6 issue mini-series)
and then a book just called The Legion (issues #1-33)

On a side note, I lettered almost all of their run, from their first issue until about issue #20 or so of 'The Legion'. I really loved doing that book.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
It's great all the way until DnA leave the series. At which point, it immediately tanks. Gail Simone helps tank it, actually, which is a surprise.

Starting with 'Legion of the Damned' in the main book, it continues into

Legion Lost (12 part mini-series), also with Coipel. This is the one from 2000, not the pointless 2011 series of the same name.
Legion Worlds (6 issue mini-series)
and then a book just called The Legion (issues #1-33)

On a side note, I lettered almost all of their run, from their first issue until about issue #20 or so of 'The Legion'. I really loved doing that book.

Thanks STK as I didn't know there was anything after Legion Lost and I walked away from the bargin bin. I gave that nu52 Legion Lost and man do I regret the purchase of the first tpb and I hope the poor souls who rent it from the library I donated it too can forgive me and damn man you're becoming the Kevin Bacon of my comic collection.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
I just splerged on the IDW sale Comixology is having, bought the last couple of TMNT trades

The recent TMNT series is quite good, I like the blender it has become although I'm an old school Mirage fan even up to Peters Vol4 run. Anyone reading Headlopper its amazing

famicommander

15 Year Member
So DC's major books are going twice monthly, but dropping in price per issue.

I pretty much just read Flash and Aquaman as far as ongoing books go, so this won't be too expensive for me.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Batman has been kind of pissing me off the last couple of issues.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Batman has been kind of pissing me off the last couple of issues.

It wont matter when "Rebirth" starts anyway. DC should just stop printing and stick to movies. Hollywood loves constant reboots.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Rebirth isn't a reboot though. They're just changing up their lineup and release schedule.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
I'm only reading Robin, Son Of Batman and since the creative team is leaving that I've found my jumping off point

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Rebirth isn't a reboot though. They're just changing up their lineup and release schedule.

True its not a "reboot" but ...it is. They are dropping the events from New 52 and going back to focus of the DC old universe due to core Fan outrage. This means no more erasing Tim Drake with Damian, and Dan Didio's blatant hate of everything Nightwing will stop. Now don't get me wrong I'm not a huge DC fanboy but this much has been talked about amongst those in the industry, and its pretty public with fans of Tim and Dick. I hope it means Barbra is back in the wheel chair as oracle is an important character to have in comics and putting her in the chair in the first place was a big deal in the first place. That said Marvel and DC have made so many decisions in the last 12 yrs that they've both scared my money away.

If you haven't sen Geoff Johns video addressing the "reboot" find it.