The Comic Book Thread

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Holy Terror? The Elseworlds book from 1991 or was there something else that used that name? :scratch:

Edit: DERP...I forgot about this...

View attachment 30840
I just saw this in a bookstore in Japan yesterday. What a fucking tragedy that some idiot tricked some Japanese publisher into translating and releasing this drek on an unsuspecting and defenseless public as an example of American comics.

I AM a fan of Miller. Even batshit crazy post-emotional and mental breakdown dementia Miller. Even if he is now more Plan 9 From Outer Space than the Citizen Kane he once was. But Holy Terror was just awful. There is not one even halfway redeeming thing on even one page. It's not even enjoyable as a joke.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Going through comics to figure out what to keep and what to dump, seeing STK's name on a lot of comics I own, it's like that Kevin Bacon game at this point

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
I used to love to collect, and worked in a comic store for a while. I actually just posted the entire shortbox of comics and graded issues that I have accumulated in the last year. I'll probably go back to collecting eventually, but I think I will just stick to graded books that I can put in a display. I never read them anyway, I just go to HelloComic to read the issues I bought :p

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I used to love to collect, and worked in a comic store for a while. I actually just posted the entire shortbox of comics and graded issues that I have accumulated in the last year. I'll probably go back to collecting eventually, but I think I will just stick to graded books that I can put in a display. I never read them anyway, I just go to HelloComic to read the issues I bought :p

Why buy them if you won't read them? That's the whole fun of having a physical book over digital.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
I have reread almost everything I own more then once, hell I even reread things I've had signed

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Saga of the Swamp Thing is so ridiculously good. Possibly the best thing Alan Moore has ever done.

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Saga of the Swamp Thing is so ridiculously good. Possibly the best thing Alan Moore has ever done.

I just recently started getting back into comics / trades and picked up the new 52 Swamp Thing. I'm enjoying it as it is really my first exposure to Swamp Thing, but I have heard the Alan Moore Swamp Thing is leagues ahead. I'm looking forward to picking those up soon.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I haven't read much of the N52 run yet but I have heard good things. I have all seven trades, just waiting to finish Saga of the Swamp Thing before I junp into them.

Last edited:

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Any one headed out to the Emerald City con up in Seattle next month?

Mikhail and I and a couple others will be flying up for the festivities. I think we get in Thursday and heading out Monday.

Edit - Show dates are April 7-10

Last edited:

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent

Mikhail and I and a couple others will be flying up for the festivities. I think we get in Thursday and heading out Monday.

Didn't have the funds for a con I'd have to fly to, but I will have a table at some local cons as well as San Francisco comic con, which I think is new this year

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member

I am, the missus gave me the task of finding a Pop vinyl BB-8 and a Stitch print from Disney artist James Silvani

Didn't have the funds for a con I'd have to fly to, but I will have a table at some local cons as well as San Francisco comic con, which I think is new this year

I think I might be going to that one, Whalice Portacio is going and he's on my list of artist to meet

Last edited:

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Just grabbed HeadLopper issue 3 and man I love this book and everything about it from its size to the release schedule and of course Andrews art and storytelling. Will be sad when its over.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I am, the missus gave me the task of finding a Pop vinyl BB-8 and a Stitch print from Disney artist James Silvani

Ha, awesome.

Less than a week away, this kinda snuck up on me. Pumped to see Ed Brubaker (one of my faves). He will be at the Image booth Thurs/Fri.

Edit - lol, didn't realize you had your screen name changed. See ya Thurs @ SFO.

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Ha, awesome.

Less than a week away, this kinda snuck up on me. Pumped to see Ed Brubaker (one of my faves). He will be at the Image booth Thurs/Fri.

Edit - lol, didn't realize you had your screen name changed. See ya Thurs @ SFO.

I have so much Brubaker stuff it's hard to pick which to bring

It's gonna be a rowdy party at SFO

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
5CD903A4-B707-4A5B-90F7-D769FCE52CC1_zpsg9yrqbvr.jpg

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
The Lidi's Social Club rides to SF for shenanigans with Greg Rucka!

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Darwyn Cooke passes away

Darwyn Cooke, the comic book artist best known for his vibrantly imaginative work on DC superheroes and noir crime stories, has died. He was 53.

Cooke's wife, Marsha Cooke, said he died Saturday morning at his home in Florida following a battle with lung cancer.

Cooke famously reimagined the Justice League members in 2004 with a signature retro style in "DC: The New Frontier."

His other work included gritty adaptations of Richard Stark's "Parker" novels, a modern interpretation of Catwoman and the "Solo" graphic novel series, which earned Cooke an Eisner Award, considered to be the Academy Awards of the comics world.

"This is an industry-wide loss that I feel personally, but the sadness is mitigated in the knowing that the beauty and grace of his art will forever stand the test of time and be a monument to all that is great about comics," said DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio in statement.

The Toronto, Canada-born artist also worked as a storyboard artist on the 1990s shows "Batman: The Animated Series" and "Superman: The Animated Series."

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sad news. I'll have to watch the animated adaptation of New Frontier tonight in his honor.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Batman #52 was garbage and Transformers VS G.I. Joe is the greatest comic ever. That's it for my weekend update. Oh and Alfred getting his hand back was lame.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
and Transformers VS G.I. Joe is the greatest comic ever.
It is indeed pretty fucking great. Probably the most I've enjoyed something I've bought off the stands in years, other than Love & Rockets. Sucks there's only one more issue. I'm hoping they do an oversized hardcover like G0dland got. I would douple-dip for that in a heartbeat.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
You would have to read it bro. It's amazing. Plus Megatron fucking eats people because they taste good. I 'm gonna be bummed after this last issue. The art and story were so rad.