Don't Talk to the police.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I long ago made the decision to never speak to the Police under any circumstance unless compelled to by law.

Edit: Thanks for the videos, they're also on youtube.

Edit2: Video by the cop was doubly interesting with regard to their tactics.

I liked the quote the most about how the 5th amendment is their to protect the innocent, because the Prof was right and that we too often view it as an amendment to shelter the guilty.

Last edited:

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Cops don't like me and I...Don't like cops.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Over here in the land of crumpets and chavs, it's not quite the same.

Here is our 'Miranda' warning;

"You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something that you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence against you."

So therefore if you are arrested in the UK, just start screaming "I'M RATHER INNOCENT AND ALL THAT!!" Otherwise they will just say 'You never denied the charges or claimed innocence therefore you're off to the clink.'

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Over here in the land of crumpets and chavs, it's not quite the same.

Here is our 'Miranda' warning;

"You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something that you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence against you."

So therefore if you are arrested in the UK, just start screaming "I'M RATHER INNOCENT AND ALL THAT!!" Otherwise they will just say 'You never denied the charges or claimed innocence therefore you're off to the clink.'

Here is another reason why
America is the greatest country ever...

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Skipped here and there the first 15 minutes. *yawn

I like the part when the lawyer asks the officer, (along the lines of) "How many times have you gone up to someone you were about to arresest or had solid evidence against and they sweet talked you into letting them go" and you hear the officer off-camera say, "I don't even know how to answer that" and the lawyer interject emphatically, "Never!".

This video looks like a criminal defense lawyer trying to make a cop (read: anyone other than himself) look bad.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Watched the video an hour or so ago. I'm pretty sure he said that

a) He didn't even need to answer that.

or

b) He (the professor) didn't even need him (the cop) to answer that.

The lecturers were quite amicable.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
This video looks like a criminal defense lawyer trying to make a cop (read: anyone other than himself) look bad.

No thats not what happened at all.

The cop is actually is actually one of the law school students and he in fact gives a presentation (see video 2) that agrees with the Prof. He just goes over people making statements from a police perspective.

I believe Stickman's first choice is what the officer said "i don't even need to answer that."

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
the 5th amendment is their to protect the innocent, because the Prof was right and that we too often view it as an amendment to shelter the guilty.

You've been making there, they're, and their mistakes quite a bit lately Duf.

Not hatin', just sayin'.

Protek ya neck, yo.

:emb:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You've been making there, they're, and their mistakes quite a bit lately Duf.

Not hatin', just sayin'.

Protek ya neck, yo.

:emb:

I'm too hasty.

Like Luke Skywalker.

One day i'll be a Jedi.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
No thats not what happened at all.

The cop is actually is actually one of the law school students and he in fact gives a presentation (see video 2) that agrees with the Prof. He just goes over people making statements from a police perspective.

I believe Stickman's first choice is what the officer said "i don't even need to answer that."

So much for the lawyer's, "I'm giving him the last word to contradict me" schtick. Hardly an impartial situation, then.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I didn't watch the video...

But all this discsion reminds me of that part in that movie Empire....

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Fuck all o' y'all!

I'd be a mothafuckin EWOK any day bitches! You get to shit and piss all over the place and when a bitchass comes up to you, they don't even know they about to die cuz you got the cute and cuddly shit goin on son!

They come up with smiles and you walk away with their blood.

Nyak Nyak nuccas.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Skipped here and there the first 15 minutes. *yawn

I like the part when the lawyer asks the officer, (along the lines of) "How many times have you gone up to someone you were about to arresest or had solid evidence against and they sweet talked you into letting them go" and you hear the officer off-camera say, "I don't even know how to answer that" and the lawyer interject emphatically, "Never!".

Stop skipping around and watch the videos.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Stop skipping around and watch the videos.

Sorry, it was really painful to listen to the lawyer talk. I have nothing against lawyers - but my spidey senses were going off listening to the guy. Sounds like he was trying really hard to be my friend. Me trust me > him.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Sorry, it was really painful to listen to the lawyer talk. I have nothing against lawyers - but my spidey senses were going off listening to the guy. Sounds like he was trying really hard to be my friend. Me trust me > him.

I've really got no clue what you're talking about dude. The guy was just a fast talker.

He wasn't trying to be your friend.

Just offering his opinion on why you shouldn't make a statement to the police under any circumstance and basing it off of a few cases and his experience as a lawyer.

The police officer that followed (assumedly one of his students to boot) echoed his sentiments.

If anything it's an interesting look at the 5th Amendment, presented in a view that the laymen, myself included, could understand. Basically put it in a light that is not normally how we are taught to percieve someone invoking their fifth amendment rights.

Usually we think it's because they have something to hide.

Last edited: