Horrible MAMEcabs

SSS

neo retired
There's nothing wrong with MAME. Wonderful program. It's what people do with it that's horrible

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
SSS: I couldn't agree with the above statement more. MAME in a cab is fantastic, but it needs to be done correctly. Slapping a joystick and a monitor on a ikea night stand isn't the way to go about it. Thats why I love this thread, more then providing us with humor it also stands as a constant reminder of how not to MAME.

ben76

n00b
Love these kind of threads, lots of lovely monsters out there pride of place in people's homes :D
- Ben

fox

n00b
Here is my own Mame Cab, Make fun if you must.
My son and I spend maybe 10 hours on this from start to finish, Running Hyperspin with all the emulators on a 25" HD flat screen, Still plays golden tee live too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Fox: Your actually getting a pretty accurate playing version of Millipede with that cab, thanks to the 3" Happ trackball inside (and depending on how you've MAME'd of course). My only complaint with your setup is the joysticks/buttons. I would have left it dedicated for trackball games (Centipede/Millipede/Missile Command/Marble Madness/Golden Tee) which I'm sure play nicely. By trying to do (looks like fighters) it all with one cab, you now have a cab that isn't really perfect for either. This is a very common problem with MAME cabs, I'm not trying to single you out.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
2012 version? thats an expensive conversion.

fox

n00b
Fox: Your actually getting a pretty accurate playing version of Millipede with that cab, thanks to the 3" Happ trackball inside (and depending on how you've MAME'd of course). My only complaint with your setup is the joysticks/buttons. I would have left it dedicated for trackball games (Centipede/Millipede/Missile Command/Marble Madness/Golden Tee) which I'm sure play nicely. By trying to do (looks like fighters) it all with one cab, you now have a cab that isn't really perfect for either. This is a very common problem with MAME cabs, I'm not trying to single you out.

I did not go overboard though, Kept it pretty simple. Works well with the fighting games, and Bowling and golf work great. Everything is a little stretched with the wide screen monitor, but plays nice. I do not have over $1000 in total invested. My kid wanted the big control panel with separate 4 way and 8 way joystick, spinner, lcd light guns and everything, I though this was more classy. I like it.

Feel free to make fun of it, That is why I posted it. Better than 99% of the overdone cabs I have seen.

I probably deserve some crap due the to fact that I sold my Candy cab to someone who told me they were going to Mame it. I could not pass up the offer because I over doubled my money and was done with the cab after fixing everything on it and cleaning it so much. It was an ashtray when I bought it and did not work.

Last edited:

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I love how bulky it looks, like if you were to lift it you would need heavy equipment. That control panel must be 70% of the total width, hope it comes off easy... :D

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member

image.php

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If anyone leans on it, the weight of the control panel could cause it to tip over and crush his feet. XD

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I can't get my head around what these people were thinking when they built them. Eugh!!

index.php

Last edited:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Chopped, repainted GAUNTLET cab. Kill this guy:

3Fa3Ic3J95N95G15M4ccc0f06d1d0153e16d2.jpg

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Chopped, repainted GAUNTLET cab. Kill this guy:

3Fa3Ic3J95N95G15M4ccc0f06d1d0153e16d2.jpg

The Tilt @ Vorhees Town Center had a stock Gauntlet 4p for sale, right before I moved. Thought for sure you scooped it.

Also: your services are needed in the Shooter of the Month thread. ^_^