138 in 1 mod for multi-slot

wiseman9986

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
im pretty sure you have to put the number 1 dip switch on before you turn it on to get in the bios

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You need to access your test menu NOT the hardware test. Push your test button. If you have a unibios on the splash hit B+C+D.

klargon

n00b
I think that's what I'm referring to, just not by the right name. The test switch on my supergun does nothing after launching a game on the 138-in-1. It works fine with other multi-carts. I take it the same mod as this thread was created for is not possible with connection 15 on the jamma strip? It's clearly invoking it in the background to change the settings, hence the 30 second delay loading a game. I wonder if the unibios is my best route.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's likely that the pin isn't active on the 138-in-1 sub pcb.

klargon

n00b
Finally got round to buying and installing the Unibios. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem, though. Still no way of accessing the test menu. The in-game unibios menu can't be invoked, either.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
It can.... use a+b+c+start in game to get to the ingame unibios menu.... then choose the soft reset option. Hold b+c+d as the reboot happens to get into the testmode menu.

silverstar

New Challenger
I recently got hold of a 138-in-1, but I'm having problems running it:
When I connect both the harness and the cart, it takes me to the game select menu just fine, except it doesn't respond to joystick input at all, so I can't choose/start the games I want. It basically just sits there in the menu, you can't do anything :(
If I leave the harness out and only insert the cart it starts up the first game on the game-list (KOF2002 MAGIC II) and everything works, joystick input etc, no problems at all.
I've tested with different joysticks and it's the same, joystick input doesn't work in the game select menu. I've also tested the different switch settings (S1 and S2 on the harness), makes no difference to the joystick input problem.

My setup:
Vogatek MK III supergun, 2-slot MVS board, original bios (have also tested with 4-slot, orig bios). I'm using the joystick ports on the MVS boards since the Vogatek doesn't have joy ports on it.

My guess:
Since the 2- and 4-slot boards aren't 100% Jamma this might cause a problem, since the 138-in-1 harness expects a Jamma board. Could this be the problem?
Could this be fixed by some sort of MVS to Jamma harness?
Also, could the supergun + harness combo cause problems?

Your help is appreciated (and yes, I'm aware that multicarts generally aren't cool, I consider this cart a way to check out which original games to buy next).

SSS

neo retired
Your help is appreciated (and yes, I'm aware that multicarts generally aren't cool, I consider this cart a way to check out which original games to buy next).

That's why god invented Mame.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I recently got hold of a 138-in-1, but I'm having problems running it:
When I connect both the harness and the cart, it takes me to the game select menu just fine, except it doesn't respond to joystick input at all, so I can't choose/start the games I want. It basically just sits there in the menu, you can't do anything :(
If I leave the harness out and only insert the cart it starts up the first game on the game-list (KOF2002 MAGIC II) and everything works, joystick input etc, no problems at all.
I've tested with different joysticks and it's the same, joystick input doesn't work in the game select menu. I've also tested the different switch settings (S1 and S2 on the harness), makes no difference to the joystick input problem.

My setup:
Vogatek MK III supergun, 2-slot MVS board, original bios (have also tested with 4-slot, orig bios). I'm using the joystick ports on the MVS boards since the Vogatek doesn't have joy ports on it.

My guess:
Since the 2- and 4-slot boards aren't 100% Jamma this might cause a problem, since the 138-in-1 harness expects a Jamma board. Could this be the problem?
Could this be fixed by some sort of MVS to Jamma harness?
Also, could the supergun + harness combo cause problems?

I think it's because you're not using the controller through jamma. You'd want to use the supergun controller, not the controller ports on the 2-slot.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think it's because you're not using the controller through jamma. You'd want to use the supergun controller, not the controller ports on the 2-slot.

You can use either one, they both connect to the same thing.

You might want to try clearing your backup ram in the hardware test, if you don't know how to get there flip dip 1 before turning the unit on and keep hitting start until you get to the clear backup ram screen.

If that doesn't fix it then something is shorting when you connect the harness so maybe you are connecting it backwards.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You can use either one, they both connect to the same thing.
Of course in the case of the MVS board alone that's true, but I was thinking because this is one of the multicarts that has the jamma adapter, it might require the controller be hooked up through the jamma adapter.

Last edited:

silverstar

New Challenger

I tried wiring up a controller-port on the supergun instead of using the joy ports on the MVS board and now the joystick input works in the menus!
I guess the jamma adapter on the 138-in-1 didn't read the joystick input when I was using the joy ports on the MVS board.

How are the joysticks normally connected in an MVS arcade cab? Are they usually connected via the Jamma edge or directly via the controller ports on the MVS board?

Thank you for the help Neo Alec and Xian Xi :vik:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Somethings not right with your setup if the onboard controller ports don't work but the jamma edge ones do.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Of course in the case of the MVS board alone that's true, but I was thinking because this is one of the multicarts that has the jamma adapter, it might require the controller be hooked up through the jamma adapter.

Oh those ones with the sub PCB right? Ya then you need to use the supergun controllers. When he said harness I was thinking of the ones that had the harness coming out of the cart with the button.

Also don't these ones not have the select button wired? I remember someone had to jump the select button pin so it would work when running more than 1 cart.

i just brought a 138 in 1, im running it through my 4 slot cause thats the only board i have, a few quick questions
1. how do i get free play... when i use dip 7 on the neo board i get free play but when you load a game it starts already before the screen is loaded.
2. some of the games sound is crackerly. is it because a 4 slot isn't jamma?
3.what are dip switch 1 and 2 used for on the little board that comes with the multicart.

coinMark

n00b
Player two

I can't get the second player to work on some of the games on my 138 in 1. Any advice??