street fighter 4 iphone/touch

Geralds

Kula's Candy
I was looking at this the other day and i just thot it was weird. The iphone/touch as no buttons so they have virtual buttons. I just think its a bad idea sound like another way to brake one of them things. Well besides that the grafixs dont even looks like they do on the console i just think why not a better hand held like the psp that problay could hadle it better imo.

Last edited:

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I think Capcom is just looking at another cheap way to cash in, like they ported Resident Evil 4 to the iPhone... it was just terrible, animation was bad, the chainsaw Ganados gets BLOWN BACK by a shotgun blast, enemy attacks and movements were slow, etc.

J. Max

judas,
This looks like a bad, bad idea. If there's one thing that the iPhone doesn't have, it's precise controls. If there's one thing SFIV needs, it's precise controls.

FortNinety

n00b
I'm almost certain that this won't be an actual fighting game, but more like a series of QTE events, in which you have to hit certain "button" combinations to win a pre-canned fight. Seems to be the only way to do the game on such a platform.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm almost certain that this won't be an actual fighting game, but more like a series of QTE events, in which you have to hit certain "button" combinations to win a pre-canned fight. Seems to be the only way to do the game on such a platform.

Wrong. Watch the videos. It is a fighting game.

Geralds

Kula's Candy
Iv seen videos. To me it still looks like a bad idea. A touch screen only system trying to play a fighting game?

JimmyDean

n00b
Yeah, I hate Capcom now. Its all about the money. Hell, think about SHEEP MAN! SHEEP MAN! WTF!

Let's face it, megaman sucks now....:crying:

Geralds

Kula's Candy
Lol i had enough with mega man when in mega man 9 wtf were is base.

J. Max

judas,
OK, here's my review...I'm playing on an iPhone 3GS 32GB if anyone is wondering.

Good:

-Gameplay is fast and fluid.
-Graphics are excellent for the characters, especially during the Ultras.
-Control is surprisingly responsive. The touchpad controls aren't as irritating as I thought they would be...they seem to be modeled after the GBA SFII Turbo Revival.
-They've captured the "feel" of SFIV pretty well.
-Sound is PERFECT.
-Lots of gameplay modes, including training.

Bad:

-Background graphics are TERRIBLE. Completely static and blurry.
-Controls need to be tweaked...the game is unplayable without using the separate touch button for special moves. The "touchpad" SUCKS for special move input, but the special move button makes up for it a bit. It still encourages a lot of button matching, and takes a lot of the technique out of the game.
-The amount of characters (8) is very limited.

Here's the thing: If you're a serious SFIV tourney type player, don't bother with this. You'll HATE it. If you're a casual fighting game fan, it's probably the best attempt at a fighting game on the iPhone, and it does play really well, but it isn't the console game.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'll give it a try eventually. Sadly, this is probably the only version of SF4 I'll be playing in the foreseeable future. But man, with such a small roster, it's disappointing they still feel the need to waste space by having both Ken and Ryu. Yeah, yeah, I know they play differently, but shit. I'd rather they had included someone completely different in the place of one of them. Almost anyone, really.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I really like it. Maybe I should have waited on the price to come down, but I had a real urge to try it today, and i'm glad I bought it.

I was looking at this the other day and i just thot it was weird. The iphone/touch as no buttons so they have virtual buttons. I just think its a bad idea sound like another way to brake one of them things. Well besides that the grafixs dont even looks like they do on the console i just think why not a better hand held like the psp that problay could hadle it better imo.

Well, here it is. SFIV on the iphone! At first glance I felt the same way like WTF is this trash, but I was pleasantly surprised and decided to give those some oversight that might have been on the fence.

SF4 iphone review:
http://www.dasreviews.com/das-game-videos/street-fighter-iv-iphone-review-sf4-iphone-gameplay-review/

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I think it's awesome, plays great, very smooth. The touch screen controls are excellent and fully customizable. I would have liked to see C Viper and Rufus in the roster along with abel. Pretty lame that they only included one of the new characters from iv in a mobile version of iv. Backgrounds are trash, but character sprites are great screen captures. Lot's of fun on the go but hardly worth $10 to me. Hopefully they update the roster in the future without charging more.

Josh

Banned
No bad at all just couldnt see myself enjoying a game where, not because of the touch screen, but the fact that the screen is blocked partially with by the control setup. ie like most of the DS shovelware.

Is the iphone more powerful than the PSP or something?

J. Max

judas,
No bad at all just couldnt see myself enjoying a game where, not because of the touch screen, but the fact that the screen is blocked partially with by the control setup. ie like most of the DS shovelware.

Is the iphone more powerful than the PSP or something?

Yes, it is.

PSP:

Wikipedia said:
PSP CPU Core:

* Sony CXD2962GG CPU
* Based on MIPS R4000 32-bit Core
* 90 nm Semiconductor CMOS Process
* 1-333 MHz (set at 222 MHz by default) @ 1.2V
* 16 KB Instruction Cache / 16 KB Data Cache
* SiP:

* 8 MB eDRAM @ 2.6 Gbps
* Embedded FPU
* Embedded Vector FPU @ 2.6 GFlops
* Embedded Graphics Core:

* 1-166 MHz (set at 111 MHz by default) @ 1.2V
* 256-bit Bus at 5.3 Gbps
* 2 MB eDRAM (VRAM)
* 3D Curved Surface and 3D Polygon
* Compressed Textures
* Hardware Clipping, Morphing, Bone(8)
* Hardware Tessellator
* Bezier[disambiguation needed], B-Spline (NURBS)

* 4x4, 16x16, 64x64 Subdivision

* Rendering Engine and Surface Engine
* Pixel Fill Rate: 664 Megapixels/s
* Up to 33 Million Polygon/s (with Transform & Lighting)
* 24-bit Full Color: RGBA

* 128-bit Bus at 2.6 Gbps
* 3D-CG Extended Instruction Set

Media Engine Co-Processor:

* Sony CXD1876 CPU
* Based on MIPS R4000 32-bit Core
* 90 nm Semiconductor CMOS Process
* 1-333 MHz (set at 222 MHz by default) @ 1.2V
* 16 KB Instruction Cache / 16 KB Data Cache
* SiP:

* 2 MB eDRAM @ 2.6 Gbps
* Embedded Virtual Mobile Engine (VME) Sound Core

* Reconfigurable DSP Engine
* 1-166 MHz (set at 166 MHz by default) @ 1.2V
* 128-bit Bus
* 24-bit Data Path
* 5 GFlops

* Embedded MPEG-4 (H.264/AVC) hardware decoder
* Embedded FPU

* 128-bit Bus @ 2.6 Gbps

Memory:

* Samsung K5E5658HCM-D060
* Main Memory: 32 MB 333 MHz DDR SDRAM (64 MB in PSP-2000 and later models)
* 8 MB reserved for Kernel

iPhone:

Wikipedia said:
CPU Original & 3G: Samsung 32-bit RISC ARM 1176JZ(F)-S v1.0[6]
620 MHz underclocked to 412 MHz[7]
PowerVR MBX Lite 3D GPU[8]
3GS: Samsung S5PC100 ARM Cortex-A8[9]
833 MHz underclocked to 600 MHz
PowerVR SGX GPU[10]
Storage capacity Flash memory
Original: 4, 8, & 16 GB
3G: 8 & 16 GB
3GS: 16 & 32 GB
Memory Original & 3G: 128 MB eDRAM[11]
3GS: 256 MB eDRAM[9]

The CPU and GPU on the iPhone are both faster, and the iPhone has more RAM. Remember, the iPhone came out in 2007, (the more powerful version, the 3Gs, came out in 2009) which was 3 years after the PSP. Any electronic product that came out 3 or 5 years later than another is bound to be more powerful than one that came out earlier.

Last edited:

Josh

Banned
Thats really interesting. My phone to completely outdated. I had no idea iphones were that powerful. too bad theres not a dedicated portable running at those speeds out yet.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Thats really interesting. My phone to completely outdated. I had no idea iphones were that powerful. too bad theres not a dedicated portable running at those speeds out yet.

I'm sure there will be soon.

Also, I'm surprised this game isn't rubbish... Who knew?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
too bad theres not a dedicated portable running at those speeds out yet.
My iphone practically IS a dedicated gaming portable.

I've been playing it more in recent months than my psp. And it's now starting to get ports of DS and psp games (or ports of psp ports) that are the equal of the DS and psp versions, but for a third of the price. I don't think I've seen a game on the iphone yet for more than $10, and most of them are a lot less... Generally the $1-$5 range.

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
My iphone practically IS a dedicated gaming portable.

My friend coaches a soccer team of 12-13 year olds, and apparently they all either have or want an iphone or an ipod touch--for the games. Anecdotally, the iPhone is already poised to be a big threat to Sony and Nintendo handhelds, regardless of touchscreen input issues.

In the very-unlikely event that Apple releases a model with a d-pad and some buttons, things could get really interesting.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
If Apple could somehow create a real controller that you could plug into the bottom of the iphone, it would open the door to a whole new experience in gaming.

Silky Johnson

Zero's Tailor
If Iphone has a faster CPU and GPU, why do all 3D games look like watered down DS versions?