Astro City Club

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I'm a long way off from knowing my way around the astro. Wish I could help, hopefully a more knowledgable member can chime in. Does yours have an MS8 or MS9?

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I do believe MS8, based on the remote board. I'll remove the monitor soon enough, discharge it, and then remove the chassis and get right down to it.

I have a feeling I'll be ordering caps pretty soon. Thankfully the AO wiki has a MS8 cap list.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Probably not caps, since it was working before you broke it down, ya?

Edit:

Just spit balling, but check to see that the remote board is attached properly, and take a look at the yoke to make sure things are still plugged in there as well.

My guess is its something very simple, so take it easy and give it a once over before you even take it all the way out.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Chem, the all green looks really nice and classy. Fruit loops version looks real fun, maybe save that line up for the weekend? :) Those are the Virtua Fighter colors, right?

I saw those colors, in that array during the 'how to play' screens for Virtua Athlete. Totally plausible that VF panels have those colors too. Methinks it's a sega thang, and I like it.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I broke down my Astro for a clean up, wired everything back up and now I get this....

Vertical collapse? Methinks I need to do a cap kit, but I'm open to other suggestions as to what is causing this.

'Noob suggestion'
There should be a connector with twin wires that have a specific coloration: either with one brown and one yellow wires, or it might be green and yellow wires that go from the chassis to the vertical deflection coil in the yolk. If one of those is unplugged it it will make a single horizontal line. Usually it goes from one side to the other, yours seems more centered.... Like I said 'noob suggestion' but maybe worth a second look.

I got this from watching a bit of that video posted in the CRT Fetish Thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZ5PJB-w2s&list=WLD594826334A13CAE
skip ahead to about the 40 minute mark

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Chem,
I dig the green blue pink.

Just from a quick look at Japanese Virtua sticks used that combination and I'd be surprised if the cabs didn't as well. Funny that Jp Saturn controller's ABC buttons are green yellow blue. Seems like a missed opportunity that kinda messes with my personal OCD now :loco:

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
@ECZ- I thought it might be related to the remote board at first, but everything is hooked up nice and snug. Truth be told, I didn't test the monitor before I broke everything down. Too focused on getting it cleaned up and indoors out of the cold.

@K-2- Thanks for the link. Those videos are really quite fascinating! When I first fire up the machine the horizontal line will be one long line from side to side. After about 20 seconds or so it shrinks down to the middle.

I appreciate the suggestions. Looks like I'm on my way to order some caps. I really hope it has to do w/ the chassis and not the tube itself.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Turn down the brightness a ways before doing anything else. All them electrons in one concentrated line could cause a bit of burn. You are probably fine, but just play it safe imho.

Did you check the connections on the chassis and neck board? I would unplug and replug everything to rule out the silly stuff.

Does the vertical size pot on the chassis itself have any effect on the picture?

Also, your tube is fine, that issue is chassis-related most certainly.

Where are you at, geographically btw?

Last edited:

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Glad to hear the tube is fine.

Vertical size pot doesn't seem to effect the picture. The H size and another pot seemed to have been for lack of a better term, 'gooped into place.' I'm going to pull this out on my next day off and have a go at it.

I'm up in Maine aka vacation land aka 'the way life should be' aka 'isn't that part of canada?'

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Ahh, Moxie country. Yum.

What chassis do you have? Im sure you have, but did you check all the connectors?

Let's get some pics of how things look in and around that chassis bro!

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
For the record, my Astro does have a little burn on the screen. Found it yesterday when I was troubleshooting a board that was giving me a blank bright white screen. Turns out my cab must have played a fair amount of Daimakaimura :cool:

Wish I could join this club one day. What is the best way in going about and picking up an Astro? I would imagine Ebay would be the last place you would want to buy one.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Wish I could join this club one day. What is the best way in going about and picking up an Astro? I would imagine Ebay would be the last place you would want to buy one.

ebay is the last place you want to buy anything arcade related.

Sometimes this forum does group buys. It's a gamble but can end up saving you some bucks if you luck out.

Otherwise a common "soluton" is Ken at thegameroom.com:

http://thegameroom.com/arcade-games.shtml

Be prepared to pay a few hundred bucks in freight.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
ebay is the last place you want to buy anything arcade related.

There are lots of good deals on ebay, not necessarily for cabs generally, but for games you just have to spend every waking hour watching all the new listings and snipe when the snipings good :vik:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
There are lots of good deals on ebay, not necessarily for cabs generally, but for games you just have to spend every waking hour watching all the new listings and snipe when the snipings good :vik:

True. Not trying to derail the club thread, but, you can definitely get lucky if you watch listings regularly. I've picked up a few things on ebay over the years. I've also had a lot arrive with horribly inadequate packaging :/

Just always use a credit card with paypal in case you get fucked and have to file a chargeback outside of the paypal dispute. For that reason alone I prefer to hound my local craigslist. All 3 of my cabs were incredibly lucky craigslist finds, and I was able to check them out in person before forking over any cash.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Keep your eyes peels here. There's someone selling a few cabs on the board RIGHT NOW. Location is also everything.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
For what its worth, I live 50 miles away from Ken @ thegameroom and have seen his stock. He doesn't clean them up, but he keeps them running and will take care of you. I got my first cab from him and was able to hand-pick it. When you're ready, he'll be there. If you road trip to get it, I may just buy you lunch.

That offer is open to anyone visiting Utah :D

skate323k137

10 Year Member
For what its worth, I live 50 miles away from Ken @ thegameroom and have seen his stock. He doesn't clean them up, but he keeps them running and will take care of you. I got my first cab from him and was able to hand-pick it. When you're ready, he'll be there. If you road trip to get it, I may just buy you lunch.

That offer is open to anyone visiting Utah :D

I'd love to take you up on that, but I'd be looking at about $400 in gas and 48 hours of total driving time :lolz: