Weird Al vs. Lady Gaga -- Vid and story

aria

Former Moderator
Weird Al made a parody of Lady Gaga's "Born This Way", and she rejected it.

As Al points out, he doesn't need permission because it's Fair Use, but he gets it out of respect and won't put something on an album unless he has permission (still, given the circumstances of the story, he still put it online).

Video and story from Al's own blog:

The Gaga Saga

I was really hoping that this blog entry would be all about me announcing the release date of my new album.

Sadly, it’s not.

In a metaphorical nutshell, here’s what happened.

I wrote and recorded what I thought was going to be the first single off of my new album: a parody of “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga called “Perform This Way.” But after hearing it, Lady Gaga decided not to give me permission to release the song, so… it won’t be coming out commercially anytime in the near future. Sorry.

Okay, now the long version.

I had written, recorded, mixed and mastered 11 of the 12 songs for my new album and was just waiting to come up with that one elusive “big idea” for a parody that I thought I could turn into the lead single and video. I was well aware that “Born This Way” was coming out, and I thought that just might be the pop culture juggernaut I had been waiting for… but after hearing the song, I was reluctant to tackle it. Because it was such an earnest human rights anthem, I thought some people might consider a parody to be in poor taste. Plus, I was really kinda predisposed not to do a Lady Gaga parody anyway because, well, that’s what everybody in the universe was already assuming I would do, and I hate to be so predictable.

But a few weeks later, a parody idea popped into my head, and I thought it had a lot of potential – enough to warrant telling my record label that I’d finally found my next single. Based on my concept, I was reasonably sure that my parody wasn’t really going to offend anybody… but I still decided, as an act of good karma, that I would donate all the money from sales of the song and music video to the Human Rights Campaign.

I was very excited now, because I knew that the second I got the official blessing from Lady Gaga, I could lock in an official release date for my album and announce it to the world. (My record company needs 8 weeks of advance notice to confirm an album release date – so in order to be as timely as possible, I almost always have to lock in the date before I’ve even started writing the lead single.)

I had my manager contact Lady Gaga’s manager to see if she would okay the parody. Here was the exact pitch:

I’d like to do a parody of Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” called “I Perform This Way.” The basic concept is that I, as a Lady Gaga doppelganger of sorts, describe the incredibly extravagant ways in which I perform on stage. Meat dresses and giant eggs would most likely be referenced, but also much more ridiculous made-up examples of bizarre wardrobe and stage production. As with all my parodies, it would be respectful of the artist, while having a bit of fun with her larger-than-life image.

I hadn’t written a single line of the song at this point, but that was the concept I had in my head. Because of my 30-year track record, most artists know that my songs are all in good fun and they’re more than happy to approve a parody just based on the concept alone.

We eventually got a response from the Gaga camp: she would need to “hear it” before she would approve it.

Okay, I thought, she wants to know exactly what the lyrics are going to be before she signs off on the parody. Some artists just are a bit more protective of their material and don’t want to take any chances. Fair enough.

I was right in the middle of my Australian tour and I didn’t have a whole lot of free time, but I cranked day and night until I had a set of finished lyrics.

We send the lyrics to Lady Gaga and wait on figurative pins and needles for her to give us the go-ahead. After a few days, we get our answer: “She actually needs to hear it. Otherwise the answer is no.”

Hmm. Well, this was mystifying to me. At this point she has the lyrics… and hopefully she is familiar with her own song… and the parody is basically her music… with my lyrics. It really shouldn’t be that hard to decide – based on having the lyrics right in front of you – whether or not you’d be “okay” with a parody. But, alas, we’d been given an ultimatum. If she didn’t hear it, she wouldn’t approve it.

Okay then. I decided – based on my belief that people are basically good – to go through the trouble and considerable expense of actually recording the song. Now, I never do that – never. But because I was really excited about this parody, I decided I would faithfully jump through as many hoops as Gaga deemed necessary.

After the Australian tour, I was supposed to go on a long-awaited family vacation over my daughter’s spring break – but because I now had to record what ostensibly was going to be my “hit single” as quickly as humanly possible, I cut our vacation short and came back to L.A. to spend long days and nights in the studio. The band and I worked around the clock. On April 11, I put the finishing touches on the mix and mastered the track. Done.

Or so I thought.

A couple days later we got the final word: Lady Gaga says “no.”

*silent scream*

And that’s it. As of this posting, I still don’t know specifically what kind of problem she has with the song (obviously I take a few jabs at her, but y’know, it’s satire – that’s how it’s supposed to work). And I’m especially confused as to why she waited until I actually recorded the song (at her insistence!) before saying no. It’s not like there were any surprises in the finished song that she couldn’t have foreseen by, you know, READING THE LYRICS.

A conventional release for the song and video would have also raised a nice chunk of change for the HRC – an organization which I have to assume Gaga supports. Hopefully, if fans enjoy hearing the song online, they’ll make a donation anyway.

My parodies have always fallen under what the courts call “fair use,” and this one was no different, legally allowing me to record and release it without permission. But it has always been my personal policy to get the consent of the original artist before including my parodies on any album, so of course I will respect Gaga’s wishes. However, given the circumstances, I have no problem with allowing people to hear it online, because I also have a personal policy not to completely waste my stinking time.

So I uploaded the song to YouTube, and will be making free mp3 downloads available on weirdal.com shortly. Hope you enjoy it.

Man, I wish you all could have had a chance to see the video we were going to do for this thing. It was going to be BEYOND AWESOME, and disturbing on many levels. Oh well.

Anyway, I realize that this may be way more information than many people would care to know about the whole situation, but I just wanted to set the record straight before any crazy rumors started. There’s really nothing more that I have to say about it now, so hopefully I won’t have to be answering questions about Lady Gaga in interviews for the next 20 years.

I know this news is disappointing to many of you. Believe me… nobody is more disappointed than I am.

Thanks for listening. I’ll keep you posted.

Your pal,
Al

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Weird Al is wrong.

His stuff does not fall under fair use.

The court differentiates between parody and satire. His stuff is satire.

aria

Former Moderator
Weird Al is wrong.

No, the Supreme Court case that determined this was the 2 Live Crew parody "Pretty Woman". Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc., look it up. It's parody. Next player.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
legal semantics aside it makes her look like a cunt for disallowing it

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Weird Al is wrong.

I think Weird Al has a better idea of what his stuff "falls under," than you do.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Weird Al made a parody of Lady Gaga's "Born This Way", and she rejected it.

As Al points out, he doesn't need permission because it's Fair Use, but he gets it out of respect and won't put something on an album unless he has permission (still, given the circumstances of the story, he still put it online).

Video and story from Al's own blog:

It's more or less spot on of Lady GaGa. You'd think she could laugh it off and say: "Fine Weird Al, go for it." I mean, you know you've arrived when Werid Al wants to parody your stuff. Heck I guess he hit the truth then.

A TRUE person who gives a rats ass what the masses think of them, wouldn't have cared and gone along with it, maybe even showing up in a cameo for the official video or something. This proves (to me anyhow) she's really just an attention whore who doesn't really LIVE like she portrays nor dresses.

That makes me a little sad. I'd still fuck the bitch if the opportunity presents itself, while Love Games plays in the background and we have mirrored ceilings and walls and four TVs playback the recorded fuck slam. ---HELL THAT COULD BE A VIDEO!

but we all know now that she's at her core, a prude.

what a perpetrator. what a bitch. :annoyed:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
No, the Supreme Court case that determined this was the 2 Live Crew parody "Pretty Woman". Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc., look it up. It's parody. Next player.

I am familiar with the Campbell case.

With this song, you can make a case for fair use (since it can be construed to criticize on Lady Gaga). But not all of Weird Al's songs are Parodies (as his post claims).

I probably should have listened to the song first.

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
That makes me a little sad. I'd still fuck the bitch if the opportunity presents itself, while Love Games plays in the background and we have mirrored ceilings and walls and four TVs playback the recorded fuck slam. ---HELL THAT COULD BE A VIDEO!

i'm not even trying to be a dick but is it physically impossible for you to make post without sex talk in it?

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
i'm not even trying to be a dick but is it physically impossible for you to make post without sex talk in it?

I have in the past. But in all honesty. I doubt it.

I've been this way since I was 14 man. It's on my mind literally every second of the day. A good day for me is lying around with a woman (or two or three) and sucking, fucking, kissing, slurping, and more with interval breaks. Pictures taken, video shot, playback and watch it while we all play some more, shower up together... then fetish games... then more sex. Throw in a Real Doll or two to boot (maybe). THEN FINALLY get something to eat, maybe hit up a movie or go out to an event (music venue, derby, whatever)... then go back to sexing it up for another few hours.

If I could do that 4 days/nights out of 7 I would be the happiest man in the world. I'm working on it though. And should there ever be a societal collapse. I'll be the guy who's fighting hoodlums and other opportunists, and helping others in need not able to help themselves... BUT, "helping myself" to the gracious women who just want to survive, and thus they'd willingly be in my harem of babes, all of us with weapons just at a moment's grab away, but those not on guard duty, would be enjoying TEH PLEASURES.

What else is there anyhow? All the great themes have been used up. No new continents/frontiers to explore or cultivate... video gaming is less gaming and more "Virtual Worlds" that expect 30 + hours to beat (that while cool, more often than not, I couldn't care less).

I am who I am dood. A hypersexual paramilitary stray dog grunt, super dad, and all around 1950s throwback greaser (minus the hair these days). I keep it simple, and nothing I like more than the smell of wet clean pussy, and visions of asses in my face ready for a licking and sticking will suffice. Thus it finds it's way into my articulation.

:tickled:

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What else is there anyhow? All the great themes have been used up. No new continents/frontiers to explore or cultivate...
Come on, there's still a lot of unexplored underwater stuff out there. Alternately, you could start your own space program.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Come on, there's still a lot of unexplored underwater stuff out there. Alternately, you could start your own space program.

A few months ago, he was making lots of posts about azn ladyboys.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Her saying no just adds to the amusement of the song. To me it shows her pretentiousness and how her image is just attention grabbing. Any jab at it is an attack on her image, which is more valuable than her words.

just to make this thread more amusing I'll share the Bad Romance redo I made last year in the style of Throbbing Gristle.

Its not easy on the ears.

http://soundcloud.com/calamitydown/badfuckedmance

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
She's a talentless flavor of the minute pretentious phony hack. Nuff said.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member

This is a Lady GaGa thread, it's probably the wrong place to ask somebody if they can make a post without sex talk in it. If this were the model 3 emulation thread then I think it'd be cool to ask it.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
As much as I dislike Lady Gaga's music, I always respected her for having real talent and a creative, bizarre fashion sense.

I guess that's why I'm a little surprised that she rejected Weird Al's song. I figured she of all people would appreciate a little fun without being insulted. Plus the song was going to be for a good cause. It does make her look pretentious and shallow.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I've been this way since I was 14 man.

Probably before that....perhaps you were......

BORN THIS WAY? :cool:

Srsly though, she's a gross old fag hag.

Every time someone brings her up I picture all 350lbs of Kan Yozakura in a MN suburb somewhere wearing a platinum wig and pancake make-up; using and assortment of sounding rods, dildos and ass beads on himself while Gaga's shit plays in the BG.

:oh_no:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member

Do I look like Steve Zissou to you?

I have no Submarine in which to decend into the depths
and create "Rapture" but I'll say this. If such a city was
ever built I would for one leave the surface to live there.

I hate normal.

A few months ago, he was making lots of posts about azn ladyboys.

And some of them are hella hot too. I hear "they love you long time" :tickled:

little bitches. They ain't had Action Jackson go Full Tilt Boogie on them is all.

I need to add that she's ugly as shit too, I don't know how anyone finds her attractive.

She's like any other woman. Better off rocking the warpaint and accessorizing, and flaunting what she's got. In this case she has a warped sense of style and persona (that's apparently FAKE). Is she hella hot? Nope. Is there worse out there? YEP. Would I fuck her on the hood of a car and dent it in, balls a slappin' while playfully choking her with me left hand, staring into her eyes and she blinks from the sweat dripping off my forehead as I ram it, ram it, ram it?

I'm In It To Win It. Get this party started and turn that face into a glazed donut.

half-GaGa; half-Weird Al

half-expected Merc to say something about sex in it

full-expected Merc to say something about sex in any thread

GaGa can GaGag on weiner.

She wants the attention and she gets it (from me) and everyone else.

My Johnson finds it's way into any thread. :tickled:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
:lol: your posts always crack me up

Yeah, I often find myself laughing out loud at the shit I come up with too.

It's a fucked up "gift" I guess.

I'd seriously TEACH GaGa though. She "thinks" she knows about Love Games. But she ain't met me or Action Jackson (my cock)