Batman Arkham City (10.18.11)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Are there alternate costumes for Catwoman?

3 costumes presently for Cats.

Current comic version (w/goggles)
Animated Series Catwoman
Long Halloween Catwoman

I don't know of those are available to me because I have Animated Series Batman and DKR Batman or if those are Catwoman's default outfits.

But there you go. So at least three.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Humm.

Current comic version (w/goggles) - eh
Animated Series Catwoman - blah
Long Halloween Catwoman - blaaaaah

I was hoping for something a little more classic. Weird to think that given three choices, the current look would be the one I like most. But I do think the video game makes the current costume look a lot better than the comics do.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Okay, so...

Having played this for the last few hours, I can safely say that it's game of the year tier.

It's that good of a game.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Okay, so...

Having played this for the last few hours, I can safely say that it's game of the year tier.

It's that good of a game.

Pretty much, frak I can't believe I just watched a top Batvillain die for pete's sake

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
the character models are really really beautiful. Not just catwoman and talia, but everyone. The Penguin is like Bricktop from Snatch. Grundy is massive. Everyone is perfect looking.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
The animated series skin is exclusive to GS? I might stop by and pick it up just for that. Hopefully the code is in the package along with Catwoman. I was going to hold on this but I don't want to have to pay for the costume I want later. Also,anybody watch Year One yet? It's on PPV and I was debating on dropping the five bucks for it.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Year One is really good but perhaps a bit too faithful to the 'Batman: Year One' comic book in terms of plot and not faithful enough in terms of visual aesthetic.

The comic was written to accomodate the monthly schedule of a comic book publication. Even the graphic novel has these 'break points' that feel like natural dividers in the story.

The movie has it all run together, and even though the events are really well done it feels too compressed at times. I'm also not a fan of the 'classic DC animation' look. I would have preferred something with the noir style lines and color palette of the original graphic novel. It's all a bit slick for an adaptation of Batman: Year One, and needed to be a little more rough and seedy looking.

Overall, still worth watching.

Hope the DKR adaptation looks more like the original comic. I know it might be expensive, but it would just look a lot more better and 'feel' more proper. Look at the faithfully rendered cutscenes for the PSP version of FF Tactics. What Tactics fan wouldn't want to see a whole FFT movie that looked like that?

Last edited:

Curt

apostate
Was able to finally put a few hours in last night. I LOVE IT. (so far)

I also was really impressed with the music, it's very inspiring/powerful.

3D is working solid on the PS3. (it also has a cheap non 3DTV glasses solution) Although just like the 3DS it might be distracting for long periods of time, I think I will play bits of it with it turned off.

It's good being Batman.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Played the game for just over 4 hours last night and it's amazing, so far my only gripe is Bats is kind of difficult to control in tight spaces.

Aside from that everything else is 110% kickass, character models, environments, dialouge, cut scenes, combat everything.

I think the coolest thing so far has just been going out and traversing the city, it really has an impressive amount of detail and atmosphere.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Played the game for just over 4 hours last night and it's amazing, so far my only gripe is Bats is kind of difficult to control in tight spaces.

Aside from that everything else is 110% kickass, character models, environments, dialouge, cut scenes, combat everything.

I think the coolest thing so far has just been going out and traversing the city, it really has an impressive amount of detail and atmosphere.

You mean in fights when you get crowded and three thugs try to hit you at the same time? Hits come out a bit faster. But you can use the free flow to move your player to the other thugs, getting distance from the pile-up quickly. I would suggest that, as well as the melee timing bonus so you can get takedowns quickly.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I just now got around to renting the first one through Gamefly. Is there anything special that carries over from a previous save or something, or can I just ditch the first one for now and get into City, and just resume Asylum later?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I just now got around to renting the first one through Gamefly. Is there anything special that carries over from a previous save or something, or can I just ditch the first one for now and get into City, and just resume Asylum later?

Nothing carried. Both are great games. I felt more stress in City though, because despite the larger milieu, things are timed, or at least feel that way.

Marek

Banned
The reason I played the original was bc several members here said it was their favorite game ever based on how enjoyable the first playthrough was.

I might buy this title just to play on my friends xbox...

Freeflow is the shit. Best fighting system in any beatemup Ive ever played.

I love the challenge levels too, theyre fucking insane.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You mean in fights when you get crowded and three thugs try to hit you at the same time? Hits come out a bit faster. But you can use the free flow to move your player to the other thugs, getting distance from the pile-up quickly. I would suggest that, as well as the melee timing bonus so you can get takedowns quickly.

Nah, I mean literally there were a couple of small spaces I had to navigate and the controls made it akward. There was an area where you had to slide under something but it was so small that you barely had enough room to strart running plus it was at an akward angle so I ended up just bumping into the wall.

Not a big deal but just annoying.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
So I've been trying to figure this out. Was there a lead platform or better version of the game. I've got both a 360 and PS3 so either one would work. Anyone know or are they pretty much both the same?

Curt

apostate
So I've been trying to figure this out. Was there a lead platform or better version of the game. I've got both a 360 and PS3 so either one would work. Anyone know or are they pretty much both the same?

I think most of the trailers and promos we've been seeing are probably from the PC.

PC is clearly the way to go (if you can make it to Nov 15). Then likely PS3, then 360. (The PS3 has slightly better 3D performance than the 360 so that's why I went with it)

Check out those Dolla billz.

And this:

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/exclusive-physx-in-batman-arkham-city-a-first-look
BatmanArkhamCityPC-Tessellation.png

Just read you get Arkham City for Free if you buy a GTX500 card... I was thinking of Gettin my SLI on so that's sweet!

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The reason I played the original was bc several members here said it was their favorite game ever based on how enjoyable the first playthrough was.

I might buy this title just to play on my friends xbox...

Freeflow is the shit. Best fighting system in any beatemup Ive ever played.

I love the challenge levels too, theyre fucking insane.

I won't tell people not to play AA, because I am one of the people who said it was the best game of the generation at that point. AC is better, however. It's not like the argument between Batman Begins and TDK - this is a bigger game than AA, with more characters, more challenges, side challenges that you don't need to do. I finished the game and was only 30% complete. Now I'm cleaning up the rest of the challenges.

Marek

Banned
I won't tell people not to play AA, because I am one of the people who said it was the best game of the generation at that point. AC is better, however. It's not like the argument between Batman Begins and TDK - this is a bigger game than AA, with more characters, more challenges, side challenges that you don't need to do. I finished the game and was only 30% complete. Now I'm cleaning up the rest of the challenges.

How long did it take you to beat AC?

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Bought the game last night but I didn't have time to start it up, looking forward to playing tonight.