The people who won't let go

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Now, the neo has a library where I'd say 33% of the games at most are worth respecting it for, the earlier slugs, the last blades, kofs, samshos, you know all that stuff.

It has a certain mystique to it what with all the big carts and insane prices and all that jazz, but what I'm wondering is, has it finally become just another retro console getting mediocre homebrew releases and sad old gits fondly remembering it. Like any other 20+ yr old console?

At least last decade it still had games coming out, now it feels like a bunch of crusty old twats trying to justify why you should still be playing burning fight, I thought it was terrible when it came out, why the hell would I be playing it now?

What with the handheld thing coming out and all, and the 'lost' games, and stupid 30k prices for rare carts, and even fuckin $1000 prices for carts that were a couple hundred 10yrs ago, I can't help but feel it's just another dumb old console people get too excited about still because they can't move on.

Going to play samsho1 for the rest of your life are you? Hmm.

I'll always love the neogeo, but as I've got older I've given less of a fuck about its masterpieces which I've played to death and don't really want to anymore, high priced carts, big game cases and omg direct rom access. Arcade is where I was introduced to it anyway so the MVS will always be more important.

I fear this place and its audience is just becoming another 'those crusty guys who love that 32yr old console too much'

Last edited:

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I don't know about the overall audience for the Neo, but I know that the initial draw of a retro video game system that was (high) arcade quality, supported swappable game roms, and had a large and strong game library was why I wanted to get into the collecting and playing of this piece of history. I never had the nostalgia for it apart from advertisements of far off consoles in the backs of EGM magazines as I played my Genesis or N64. I'm thankful that I can slowly build up towards ownership of all the games I want at a price point comparable to new/used modern games in the form of MVS titles rather than all the hassle of AES Home Carts where I think your arguments hold more weight as that's more of a collector's platform then NeoCD or MVS.

And as for disparaging remarks about the community...I think people get passionate or hyperbolic easily when it comes to talking to people collecting and playing games now that lived in the era of retro systems so at least some friction between people ought to be expected when differing opinions come into play. It's really something you need to take in stride if you care to continue being involved in the community whether actively or otherwise.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
IMO the homebrew stuff doesn't show off what the system is capable of doing. It's great that people are still working on new games, but most look like they are from 1990 or 1991 at best. The homebrew carts are way too expensive. I know they cost money to make, but they'd sell a hell of a lot more copies at lower prices.

For me the Neo will always be special...the system I dreamed of owning 20 years ago. Now, it's sorta just another retro system. In some ways we are worse than the Atari guys.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Now, the neo has a library where I'd say 33% of the games at most are worth respecting it for, the earlier slugs, the last blades, kofs, samshos, you know all that stuff.

It has a certain mystique to it what with all the big carts and insane prices and all that jazz, but what I'm wondering is, has it finally become just another retro console getting mediocre homebrew releases and sad old gits fondly remembering it. Like any other 20+ yr old console?

To some extent, yeah.

But at the same time there is always going to be people newly discovering the system due to its niche appeal and original high price. Even people in our age bracket who were around back when the Neo was in its limelight, but couldn't afford it, are possible new owners.

Though with all the high prices and bootlegs floating around, it makes owning the home system almost a fools errand.

I can't help but wonder if some of these commercially produced CMVS units (like that wooden one) are helping to raise prices on MVS carts. They go from being something only usable in cabs, superguns and small time consolized units to being a real replacement for home carts. Now some of them are starting to sky rocket in price.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
It's just when you see the homebrew coming out for any retro console, you pretty much know it's 'got to that stage', oh, it's proper retro now, it's proper old.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Some of the homebrew stuff is really good, and I would be hesitant to even call it homebrew...maybe indie developer.

Gunlord looks, sounds and plays fantastic. Its better than a lot of the games on the Neo regardless of who the developer is.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I suppose, but the price should be $150, not whatever it is. They are just playing on the fact they are selling to neogeo owners, after all it's basically turrican remade.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
It's just when you see the homebrew coming out for any retro console, you pretty much know it's 'got to that stage', oh, it's proper retro now, it's proper old.

And most are proper bad.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I suppose, but the price should be $150, not whatever it is. They are just playing on the fact they are selling to neogeo owners, after all it's basically turrican remade.

That I can agree with.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I'm just a sucker for high quality 2D games on any platform. Couple that with 0 load times and you have a winner in my opinion. I never got into 3D stuff because while I was trying to that whole "uncanny valley" phenomenon discouraged me from waiting to see what was really possible. This of course is a very biased opinion as almost all my fondest memories of playing games were in 2D and you'll never catch me sitting in my man cave with a headset on kill orcs in the forest for experience points.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Coming from the same guy who constantly asked others why they weren't talking about the Neo.

At least you finally realized why.

Hawk

Crossed Swords Squire
I grew up playing it so nostalgia counts for alot! I have always wanted an arcade cab and having one that you can change games for is great. There is nothing like playing with a friend on an arcade cab to me.

I would rather play Metal Slug or Shock Troopers for 5 hours than spend 2 playing COD.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I would rather play Metal Slug or Shock Troopers for 5 hours than spend 2 playing COD.
I feel the same. Still. But i would rather play nothing at all, if the only game i owned was the super spy. Which i got two homecarts of, tbh.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I like the Neo and all, but that's not all that I'm about. Some people go way hardcore and Neo is all they'll play. I play some Neo, maybe not for a few weeks/months, then come back to it.

As for prices... I don't think it's all about "oh it's Neo so we can charge more". I think a part of it is that they don't have the capital and connections SNK did to do large print runs.

Same thing in my line of work. The PCBs we sell that have small print runs we generally charge more for. The ones that are produced in millions of units are much, much cheaper. We do condition based monitoring hardware and software for aircraft btw.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You've gotten so predictable I already knew what your post was going to be.

one year ago:
'hey guys why aren't you talking about the neo'

now:
'you guys care too much about the neo'

You're as balanced as Tonk.

I really hate when people decide to move on, now all of a sudden they need to badmouth and trash the thing and community that they were a part of. If you don't like it anymore get the hell out silently. Why do you care what others collect for and why they do I? I just got into NG about 2 months ago and have played NAM more than any of the other hundreds of games and dozens of systems..its fun...that's why I do it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Before you left you constantly told people to (vaguely) 'talk more neo'. This was a year or two ago. Nevermind the fact that the Neo was nearing twenty years old at the time and whatever was discussed about the games had already been done.

Now you're saying this:

I can't help but feel it's just another dumb old console people get too excited about still because they can't move on.

Going to play samsho1 for the rest of your life are you? Hmm.

I'll always love the neogeo, but as I've got older I've given less of a fuck about its masterpieces which I've played to death and don't really want to anymore, high priced carts, big game cases and omg direct rom access.

I just think it's a funny reversal and that you're finally catching up to the rest of us. Good for you, I guess. I don't understand who this thread is directed towards because it's not as if anyone here plays the system on a regular basis anymore, anyways.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My dad passed away and left a museum's worth of Beatles memorabilia... That's when I fully realized, there is no point to all this shit.

but I've learned to live with that, and I'll keep my bookshelf of Neo Carts.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

$150 would be nice but you need to remember that they aren't SNK pushing out 1,000 units, since they only do small runs of like 100 units of course the price goes up a lot. I think once they get in the zone with Neo games and the market catches up, they can probably make more units available and bring the cost down.

Right now they are working on two titles for the Neo, we know one of them is an Ikari type game that will control like Shock Troopers 2.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Before you left you constantly told people to (vaguely) 'talk more neo'. This was a year or two ago. Nevermind the fact that the Neo was nearing twenty years old at the time and whatever was discussed about the games had already been done.

Now you're saying this:

I just think it's a funny reversal and that you're finally catching up to the rest of us. Good for you, I guess. I don't understand who this thread is directed towards because it's not as if anyone here plays the system on a regular basis anymore, anyways.

Are you flaming me.