CRT Fetish Thread

I wouldn't say that's too expensive for that model pvm, considering how sought after it is and the area he lives. There are other factors as well like conditioning and functionality. You can use that knowledge whenever you try to haggle.

But for that specific PVM I would not offer more than $20. It might be an easy fix like just switching the settings on the menu. But it could also be something you can't fix and you end up with dead weight.

he ended up pulling the auction so he either got an offer or he fixed it himself and decided to keep it. I'm just having a lot of trouble finding a solution for my early 2000's needs. The PVM is great (though mine is a bit to small) for pre ps2 stuff and I have a 4k TV for anything HD era and up but it seems like getting the most from the ps2/Xbox/Wii is a slight challenge. maybe the ps2 doesn't but a large selection of Wii and Xbox games support widescreen and 480P and I'd like a TV to play them that way.

Right now I just have a Samsung CRT SDTV with component that I use for that purpose and its Okay but nothing spectacular. I wish EDTV's were more common. I've been looking at CRT HDTV's but as I only moved to this area relatively recently I don't have a buddy to help me move a 200lb TV so I'm trying to look at sets around 27 inches but it seems the big tubes are far more common.

I'm starting to wonder if a 480i image over component on a SDTV is the same or better then a 480p image on a HDTV anyways. will a CRT HDTV at 480p still mess with the image since its still a HDTV I assume there are still extra lines on the screen it needs to fill in or am I incorrect? Maybe I'm better off just grabbing a high end Sony SDTV?

Get one of the sony hd crts for that?

I've actually had horrible luck with Sony CRT HDTV's. before I moved out here I had a Samsung Slimfit CRT HDTV and I loved that thing. even retro systems looked great IMHO. When I moved out here I went through 2 Sony CRT HDTV's. First one I bought at goodwill and the second I got off Craigslist. The experience of transporting them home (and to the curb when they died) was horrible as it was only me any my girlfriend and neither of us are very strong. Both died on me within a few months. same issue. would work fine for awhile then the picture would go green and then die. if I left the TV off a few hours it would work again for a little then the same thing. It got progressively worse. I read it was an issue with a chip in these TV's...maybe I was just really unlucky but either way the experience really turned me off of Sony CRT HDTV's.

I had some cheapo Viso HD CRT for awhile which actually worked for well for over a year but obviously its quality was kind of lacking. It was under 30 inch as well so it didn't weigh 200lb's like the other 2. I would of kept it if it didn't start suffering the same issues and having the screen randomly go fuzzy and shutting off.

Never had many issues with either CRT SDTV's or newer LCD HDTV's but it seems from my experence CRT HDTV's have issues...then again, maybe its just my bad luck.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I want to give a big thanks to city41 for hooking me up with this sweet 8" BVM. I love it. Nice and small, easy to move around.

bvm.jpg

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
It survived! Woot!

Sorry it arrived a bit damaged. But I am glad it still works at least.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
he ended up pulling the auction so he either got an offer or he fixed it himself and decided to keep it. I'm just having a lot of trouble finding a solution for my early 2000's needs. The PVM is great (though mine is a bit to small) for pre ps2 stuff and I have a 4k TV for anything HD era and up but it seems like getting the most from the ps2/Xbox/Wii is a slight challenge. maybe the ps2 doesn't but a large selection of Wii and Xbox games support widescreen and 480P and I'd like a TV to play them that way.

Right now I just have a Samsung CRT SDTV with component that I use for that purpose and its Okay but nothing spectacular. I wish EDTV's were more common. I've been looking at CRT HDTV's but as I only moved to this area relatively recently I don't have a buddy to help me move a 200lb TV so I'm trying to look at sets around 27 inches but it seems the big tubes are far more common.

I'm starting to wonder if a 480i image over component on a SDTV is the same or better then a 480p image on a HDTV anyways. will a CRT HDTV at 480p still mess with the image since its still a HDTV I assume there are still extra lines on the screen it needs to fill in or am I incorrect? Maybe I'm better off just grabbing a high end Sony SDTV?

For running DC/PS2/GC/XBOX era games there is this guy on the shmup forums running this tv

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52511

He's ran a wide gamut of systems and the pictures look quite nice for almost everything he's throwing at it. The only thing is i'm not sure how widely available they would be but I think it would be worth to check out. Even the 2d stuff looks comparable to those sony wegas.

Very nice set up you got there lolifoxgirl. Wasnt sure what that was on the bottom left until someone else called it out.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have that TV. It does not compare with a CRT with most of the older systems, the only thing I was really happy with was the original Xbox. It's pretty fantastic for use with a XRGB mini though, although there is a slight issue with the scanlines due to the odd native resolution.

The Wii and PS2 both look better on one of my SDCRTs than on the plasma. 240p looked like ass without the XRGB.

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
That's kinda disappointing to hear.
The dude made it sound like the second coming of jesus.

I haven't tried wii or ps2 on crts yet so i can't say much about how those system would look on a crt. I can say that both the dreamcast and wii u look fantastic on the BVMD20F1U. Probably more so than on my plasma tv, which i thought has a good display for pc, xbox360, ps3, wii and wii u. The NEC also handled the DC pretty well but I haven't tried anything newer yet.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The dude made it sound like the second coming of jesus.

It does better than other hd sets, if you don't have good crts around you wouldn't know any better. The scaler on it is good, it just has a bad deinterlacer.

Zero06

n00b
is there a easily sourceable replacement for the 25" crt's? like a specific model tv? I have a hard time believing they only put these in arcade machines.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Quick question. Is there a way to adjust to vertical position on one of those 14" PVM monitors? I'm using one with my Exidy Sorcerer (an early Z-80 based computer) and it is displaying way off screen on the top and bottom. I know the bigger PVMs have these adjusts inside the case, but I wasn't sure if the smaller ones do.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Quick question. Is there a way to adjust to vertical position on one of those 14" PVM monitors? I'm using one with my Exidy Sorcerer (an early Z-80 based computer) and it is displaying way off screen on the top and bottom. I know the bigger PVMs have these adjusts inside the case, but I wasn't sure if the smaller ones do.

Depends on the model but generally if it's not in the service menu then there's a pot for it inside. Check some of the service manuals here (not all are in the first post as I've lost the ability to edit it);

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?248672-PVM-Service-Manuals-20M2MDU-and-others

Guspaz

n00b

On my PVM-14L2, in the service menu, on the page "DEFLECTION -> RASTER V...", I see the following options:

V SIZE
V CENTER
V BLK TOP

When I got it, I adjusted the horizontal/vertical size/position to get the edges lined up, as the amount of overscan was uneven. V SIZE lets you grow/shrink the image, and V CENTER lets you move it up and down.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy

Press Menu, then Degauss + Enter to go into the service menu. Unlike later PVMs, you have to press up and down to see one setting at a time. The vertical adjustment settings should be close the "beginning," just before the geometry settings. I believe you have to press Degauss to write/save the settings before exiting out.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Press Menu, then Degauss + Enter to go into the service menu. Unlike later PVMs, you have to press up and down to see one setting at a time. The vertical adjustment settings should be close the "beginning," just before the geometry settings. I believe you have to press Degauss to write/save the settings before exiting out.

Basically. You have to tap degauss twice to save (it will say WRITE for a moment), then degauss + enter again to exit the menu.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Turns out it's either a 14L1 or 14N1U (I need to check). There doesn't seem to be service mode as far as I can tell. If I hold the two buttons down I can get some letters and numbers to appear, but I don't think they're options. It looks like it's displaying variables of some sort. I saw nothing to adjust geometry.

Guspaz

n00b
Turns out it's either a 14L1 or 14N1U (I need to check). There doesn't seem to be service mode as far as I can tell. If I hold the two buttons down I can get some letters and numbers to appear, but I don't think they're options. It looks like it's displaying variables of some sort. I saw nothing to adjust geometry.

They're easy to tell apart because the 14N1U only has a single input (S-Video/Composite with loop-through) while the 14L1 has two inputs (S-Video/Composite with loop-through, and S-Video/composite). If the front of the monitor has only 4 buttons (plus the power button), then it's the 14N1U. If it has 6 buttons (plus power), then it's the 14L1.

Here are the brochures that I found for both models:

14N1U/20N1U: http://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/model/665568/ssm14n1u_ssm20n1u.pdf

9L1/14L1/20L1: http://www.acuson.it/schedepdf/YibFQtbMXz_Sony - PVM9L1.pdf

We really ought to create a wiki with pages for every model of PVM, with each page having the specs/inputs, the brochure, the service manual, common gotchas, etc.

Guspaz

n00b
Errm, or rather that's the brochure for the SSM-14N1U and not the PVM-14N1U. I'll admit that I don't know the difference. Can't find one for the PVM-14N1U though.

skate323k137

10 Year Member

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
It's an 14N1U. Like I said, I don't think it has a geometry adjust menu. Hidden or otherwise.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Posted this on the shmups forums but I think it would be good here too...

Picked up two Sony GDM-FW900 yesterday on craigslist.
My first impressions so far is that she's a huge bitch. It really didn't look big in the pictures but I was lucky I could fit both in my car.

Haven't really messed with any of the settings yet but the menu seems much more easier to navigate in comparison to my BVM. Since I believe the monitor is only 31khz it can't display any of my older consoles aside from the Dreamcast and up. I would probably need to look for an xrgb 3 in order to hook up older displays. Would a HDMI to VGA adapter work with the frameister?

The pics are too big so I am posting only a few on here but will provide a link to the albulm.
As always the pics were taken by a crappy phone camera...

Album
http://imgur.com/a/2CT7D

Spoiler:
NBA Showtime

v1G1lrW.jpg

NBA 2k1

5hhyF30.jpg

Dead or Alive 2

QDd28vM.jpg

Sega Smash Pack

zyPV0aC.jpg

drxm1E4.jpg