CRT Fetish Thread

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Did Neogeo just end up losing all recent posts? There was at least another page to this thread wasn't there?

I know James was asking about buying a 13/14" monitor so I'll reiterate what I posted (more or less):

Someone else suggested 600 TV lines was good enough. I concur.

I added that it's worth looking at JVC, Panasonic, and other non-Sony brands to hopefully skirt some of the markup monitors have these days. Personally I rock a JVC BM-H1310SU for all my 240p gaming needs and prefer it over the 2 Sony PVMs I have.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Woo is pretty much as cheap and dirty as it gets. Saw a 4x8 in half, frame it up with 2x4s.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
End of the school year in a college town, is a smorgasbord of free shit. This TV was free...but not from a bailing student.

Widow estate sale. 8^(

It's the flyest svid TV I've ever had. I'm down to two consoles, and they both run svid, soooo-

a4fa7f28dbcf0468a4566c48161edb07.jpg

An oldie but a goodie
96f4a5d476ec6fcb1c0ab03294a5a8d6.jpg

Hype adjustments panel...

But the coop dee gracie:
A damn rear focus pot! Fly back control, standard?!? Never seen this before on a consumer set.
afc89d8d097cc561d654846e9d89f037.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That looks great! Reminds me of my Commodore 64 monitor but larger.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Woo is pretty much as cheap and dirty as it gets. Saw a 4x8 in half, frame it up with 2x4s.

You are making me considering "woo" to make my own with your comment of as cheap and dirty as it gets. Issue is still time and wanting it to look half decent and presentable which takes more time.

Thrift store time.

I guess so haha. Hopefully I'll find something this Sunday and make some listings. Feel like it will be hard to find something to support 300 pounds though. I guess I could have two people sit on it to see if it gives at all.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I went to craigslist when i needed to look for a stand.
Ask the person if you can do a stress test first before you decide to have people stand or sit on it.
If it feels sturdy enough then go with it. If not you can maybe go to a nearby warehouse or something.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
I went to craigslist when i needed to look for a stand.
Ask the person if you can do a stress test first before you decide to have people stand or sit on it.
If it feels sturdy enough then go with it. If not you can maybe go to a nearby warehouse or something.

Did exactly what you said and did a shotgun technique hitting up serval people but obviously things I only had an interested in and thought could maybe work. Hopefully I can have something by Sunday and upload a new photo. Give me something to lift this megaview onto so I can start to unscrew the back to clean it up. Think using a can of air will be fine as long as I dont spin the cooling fans with it?

Also which input cards should I be looking to use for the BVM-24'?

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Well to keep the thread going. Here are some updated pictures. I'm currently looking for some cheap furniture solutions to hold the tvs. Issue is the Mitsubishi is nearly 300 pounds and it's hard to find something.

I have a stand just like the one in this listing:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tv-table-entertainment-unit/markham-york-region/tv-entertainment-stand/1135223457?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I currently have a 29" CRT on it and it makes it so easy to move around. I know your monitor is about 300 pounds, but it might be able to do the job.

These com up pretty frequently around here and maybe you can find one on your local CL.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
I have a stand just like the one in this listing:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tv-table-entertainment-unit/markham-york-region/tv-entertainment-stand/1135223457?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I currently have a 29" CRT on it and it makes it so easy to move around. I know your monitor is about 300 pounds, but it might be able to do the job.

These com up pretty frequently around here and maybe you can find one on your local CL.

Yikes, I don't know how confident I would feel if it was sitting on top of glass. I did look at stands with wheels which would be awesome but my downstairs is carpet so it wouldn't be super smooth but better then not having wheels.

Plus I looked around and never saw that type of stand near me and I searched every single page but out of curiosity you want to put enough people on that until you got 300 pounds? Would you feel super confident?

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
When it comes time to clean, you can clean it like a pc. Put stops in the fans to blow them out or even unclip them and give them a proper scrub out.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
When it comes time to clean, you can clean it like a pc. Put stops in the fans to blow them out or even unclip them and give them a proper scrub out.

Figured just wanted to make sure. Plus that helps since I know and understand computers.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Yikes, I don't know how confident I would feel if it was sitting on top of glass. I did look at stands with wheels which would be awesome but my downstairs is carpet so it wouldn't be super smooth but better then not having wheels.

Plus I looked around and never saw that type of stand near me and I searched every single page but out of curiosity you want to put enough people on that until you got 300 pounds? Would you feel super confident?

Well, I think the metal frame of the table would support 300, and the tempered glass helps to distribute the weight.

Personally, I would do it, but thats because I wouldn't mind taking the risk. Also, once you get it on there the first time, there would be no need to ever reposition the monitor again, so you would be set.

Also, :lolz: I weigh 200 and would feel confident lying on my table. It would be ackward getting someone else to lye on it with me though.

For the hell of it, I'm gonna reply to the add and see if the owner can tell me how much weight it would support.

kkcloak

n00b
the crt has a certain glow that the lcd doesn't have.

hence why i fix all my screens on my arcade games, lcd doesn't look right to me.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Neo Geo newbie here, got a Neo Geo CD and an MVS coming my way soon, the first to be fixed and the second to eventually be put in a cabinet I'll be building out of a Photoplay 2000 or similar machine, once I get my hands on one of those and some other needed parts. Also a new member of the PVM club, got my hands on a PVM-8042Q, the middle of the line PVM from the PVM-802XQ series. All it lacks from the higher end one is the HR Trinitron tube, it has a regular one. Got it for 25 euros a few weeks ago, but it had one problem: It was 110V only and I live in a 230V country. Well, bought a 4-pin XLR plug, did the worst soldering ever (my wire tinning technique is still worse than Helen Keller's) with a 12V 4A brick, and got it going on the 12V line. It's not pretty but it works and it's fairly solid. Running it right now, and DVD on composite already looks quite great! Can't wait to really get into the RGB area and start to really see what this thing can do. Just need to wait for a little more money so I can get the right cables, and I can get whatever I need to fix the Neo Geo CD up (it has no video, but audio still works so the unit isn't totally dead, and I've seen in Luke Morse's video that fixing it isn't that difficult, and soldering ICs and components is something I don't totally suck at), so I can kick it back with some RGB Neo Geo! Here it's playing a Queen in Concert DVD.
HvD0Prl.jpg
I thought some CRT lovers might enjoy this :).
If you have any ideas, or constructive criticism dont hesitate to tell me.

https://teechip.com/snkpvm
Looks sick! I might grab one, still have a bit of time to do so it seems :)

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Neo Geo newbie here, got a Neo Geo CD and an MVS coming my way soon, the first to be fixed and the second to eventually be put in a cabinet I'll be building out of a Photoplay 2000 or similar machine, once I get my hands on one of those and some other needed parts. Also a new member of the PVM club, got my hands on a PVM-8042Q, the middle of the line PVM from the PVM-802XQ series. All it lacks from the higher end one is the HR Trinitron tube, it has a regular one. Got it for 25 euros a few weeks ago, but it had one problem: It was 110V only and I live in a 230V country. Well, bought a 4-pin XLR plug, did the worst soldering ever (my wire tinning technique is still worse than Helen Keller's) with a 12V 4A brick, and got it going on the 12V line. It's not pretty but it works and it's fairly solid. Running it right now, and DVD on composite already looks quite great! Can't wait to really get into the RGB area and start to really see what this thing can do. Just need to wait for a little more money so I can get the right cables, and I can get whatever I need to fix the Neo Geo CD up (it has no video, but audio still works so the unit isn't totally dead, and I've seen in Luke Morse's video that fixing it isn't that difficult, and soldering ICs and components is something I don't totally suck at), so I can kick it back with some RGB Neo Geo! Here it's playing a Queen in Concert DVD.
View attachment 36240

Looks sick! I might grab one, still have a bit of time to do so it seems :)

Interested in seeing your setup later when you get things going. Your current pictures are a bit unclear though probably doesn't do the monitor justice.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Interested in seeing your setup later when you get things going. Your current pictures are a bit unclear though probably doesn't do the monitor justice.
Yeah, that's the best my phone's camera could do, it's not a bad camera at all but trying to take pictures of CRT displays always ends up being washed out. The picture is nice and sharp, and the tube still gets very bright if I turn the brightness up, so it seems like this unit hasn't had too many hours on it. I do want to get a bigger PVM/BVM sometime in the future, but this smaller one will suit me quite well for the time being, plus it doesn't take up much space which is a huge plus.

Last edited:

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Yeah, that's the best my phone's camera could do, it's not a bad camera at all but trying to take pictures of CRT displays always ends up being washed out. The picture is nice and sharp, and the tube still gets very bright if I turn the brightness up, so it seems like this unit hasn't had too many hours on it. I do want to get a bigger PVM/BVM sometime in the future, but this smaller one will suit me quite well for the time being, plus it doesn't take up much space which is a huge plus.

What type of phone did you end up using?

Also how do people end up using such small professional monitors? I mean 20' professional monitors are rather common and you can find them a bit cheap. I think I'd rather end up using just s video on a consumer monitor with that screen size.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
"Size ain't everything"

A 14'' is perfectly fine for a single person to play on, and those 8'' models are adorable little things that make for quite nice bench monitors.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
What type of phone did you end up using?

Also how do people end up using such small professional monitors? I mean 20' professional monitors are rather common and you can find them a bit cheap. I think I'd rather end up using just s video on a consumer monitor with that screen size.
I use an ASUS ZenFone 2.

As for screen size, this monitor will be put on my desk extension once that's built, and it was cheap. 25 euros cheap. Like I said, I do plan on getting a bigger PVM or BVM down the line, but this seemed like an ideal way to enter the PVM world, so to speak.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
"Size ain't everything"

A 14'' is perfectly fine for a single person to play on, and those 8'' models are adorable little things that make for quite nice bench monitors.

Oh, no don't get me wrong thats why I mentioned 20' even 17' wouldn't feel too bad. I don't know maybe I'v become so accustomed with larger screen sizes due to LCDs. I have 3 23' LCDs for my gaming pc set up. I was considering next time maybe doing something in the 30' range.

Just saw some posting of people with like 8'-14' figured thats a bit small. No harm intended with my comment though.