CRT Fetish Thread

Dragon89o

New Challenger
It's better when you can show off multiple monitors that are turned off and not being used than it is to show off one good one while playing a game. Duh.

Thats what the thread is for =].

Of course it's a thing. It's also why these things went from being worth nothing to being worth hundreds of dollars for a little 14" screen, with most people not being able to acquire one now.

Yeah, I wanted to get them for trade bait for other monitors but I don't know how likely that will be based on their models. They don't seem to be highly desirable plus I'd have to find someone trading a model that I am actually looking for.

I think we need to do an intervention on Dragon89o :D

Haha... it's funny because it's true... I think I'm going to pass up the two monitors in Canada. If they were models I were interested in I'd be more likely to go for them. I even looked up the cost of a visa for Canada because I was considering it lol. I just ended up spending so many days off in a row either getting monitors or tv stands every week for over the last month when I'v been working 6 days a week. I think I'm gonna just end up sleeping instead. I will take a picture of my current basement set up later today hopefully to show what it looks like now... lol. It's not finished I'm selling a few things off but its kind of nuts.

Just picked up this 32" beast today. Seller had listed it as a PVM-2950Q so I was expecting ~115 lbs not the ~185 lbs this PVM-3230 weighs in at. Pretty stoked to have found such a large monitor in my area, it's a significant upgrade from my 19" 80s PVM.

Yeah, that would end up becoming my main monitor based on what you have. Show pictures after you get a tv stand and your set up going. I'm interested to see it's final resting place.

View attachment 36537

Have to say even though it's turned off it's a good looking monitor.

Thanks man! I was a bit wary about getting a >20" display after reading about PQ issues on larger monitors, but those fears were eliminated after hooking up the NES. :buttrock:

PQ Issues? And that applies to any monitor that tends to be larger then 20'?

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Have to say even though it's turned off it's a good looking monitor.

PQ Issues? And that applies to any monitor that tends to be larger then 20'?

Supposedly 20" is the sweet spot for picture quality on a PVM, but I'm not so sure now that there's really any truth to that.

One thing to consider though is you could have a 600 line 20" monitor or a 600 line 32" monitor - if they have the same line count you could say the 20" monitor has the better PQ for the size?

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Just picked up this 32" beast today. Seller had listed it as a PVM-2950Q so I was expecting ~115 lbs not the ~185 lbs this PVM-3230 weighs in at. Pretty stoked to have found such a large monitor in my area, it's a significant upgrade from my 19" 80s PVM.

View attachment 36537

what a beauty. Good taste in music as well

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Thanks guys! It seems pretty similar to the 2030/2530 but the 3230 has 650 lines versus 560 on the former two.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Thanks guys! It seems pretty similar to the 2030/2530 but the 3230 has 650 lines versus 560 on the former two.

Bigger and better! I think this monitor is the extent of the size I would want a monitor to be. Great pickup.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Bigger and better! I think this monitor is the extent of the size I would want a monitor to be. Great pickup.

Yeah this thing is a behemoth. I don't think I would want any bigger either. I decased it today and fine tuned the geometry, couldn't believe the hcenter pot is on the inner right side of the cage, very hard to get to, whereas everything else was easily accessible outside the cage.

It's pretty awesome that other monitors like the 2950Q got a special OSD service menu for geometry, that's really the only thing the 3230 is lacking. Not a huge deal though, shouldn't have to mess with geometry again for a long time.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
So here is a little bit of an update on my set up. There is still a lot to change but I thought it would be fun to document the process to remember. I finally got a tv stand to support the weight of the the Mitsubishi Megaview. Before I was able to get enough people over to lift it onto the tv stand we were using the tv stand as a bench to sit closer to the monitor haha. Keep in mind 3/5 of the monitors/tvs displayed will end up being sold or moved along with 2/4 of the tv stands. I will be moving the BVM on the far left onto the right wall where the Mitsubishi tv that is on the black tv stand. Getting rid of the Consumer level Mitsubishi and the tv stand it is sitting on. The JVC and Sony PVM I will end up moving into a different room or eventually selling. The final result will end up having the BVM next to the Megaview.
So my next step on a day off which wouldn't be for about three weeks unless I do it after a work day if I am not tired. So I will need to get some safety tools to do that process if you guys want to maybe walk me through it. I'm going to buy rubber gloves, rubber ended screw driver, and probably a rubber mat to stand on since the process will be done in my basement which is carpet. Also the next step which I will probably start this weekend/week is ordering the cords for ps1, ps2, gamecube, and xbox to get some rgb content uploaded on here since non of my Nintendo consoles are modded for rgb yet.

So two responses I am looking for is some intstructions on opening it up and cleaning the Mitsubishi Megaview unless someone knows someone that still happens to service them near D.C. or NY. I want to take every safety precaution and not risk damaging or even scratching the plastic or glass on the monitor. Also should I be cocerned with the fact the Megaview screen while off doesn't look pitch black unlike the Mitsubishi to the left of it? Do you guys just think its dirt that is making it look like that?

Ny4w0GF.jpg

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
The color is just the tube coating they used on it for anti-glare.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
"can't-open-door...screen-to-heavy...halp...gonna-starve"

Dragon89o

New Challenger
"can't-open-door...screen-to-heavy...halp...gonna-starve"

Haha, funny that you saw that. Luckly that TV stand has 5 wheels. One on each corner and one centered so one person can pretty easily with very minimal effort move the stand to open the door. With the changes I plan to be doing to the room. That door will be accessible again. Plus we never end up using that door anyhow. Goes to nothing important.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Also the next step which I will probably start this weekend/week is ordering the cords for ps1, ps2, gamecube, and xbox to get some rgb content uploaded on here since non of my Nintendo consoles are modded for rgb yet.

GameCube doesn't do RGB out on NTSC consoles, you'll need to import a PAL console, hunt down component cables, or possibly one of those new mods that tap the digital socket will work.
I haven't gotten RGB working on my NTSC Xbox at all. I have an official SCART RGB cable for it and I get no/bad sync. I'm not sure if there's some setting I haven't noticed or if it doesn't work (properly) on NTSC consoles. Maybe someone here knows?

No issues with RGB on a PSX or PS2 though other than needing to set the PS2 RGB mode to RGB and not YPbPr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
GameCube doesn't do RGB out on NTSC consoles, you'll need to import a PAL console, hunt down component cables, or possibly one of those new mods that tap the digital socket will work.
I haven't gotten RGB working on my NTSC Xbox at all. I have an official SCART RGB cable for it and I get no/bad sync. I'm not sure if there's some setting I haven't noticed or if it doesn't work (properly) on NTSC consoles. Maybe someone here knows?

No issues with RGB on a PSX or PS2 though other than needing to set the PS2 RGB mode to RGB and not YPbPr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a GameCube component cable that was modified to output RGB and works on a NTSC cube using the digital out. Works great on the PVM!

I also have an NTSC Xbox and didn't have any issues using a RGB cable with it. It's one of the older revisions, but I didn't have to do any mods for it to work.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Why you selling some of your monitors?
Just use different systems for different monitors. Such a shame going through all that effort to just get rid of them. And dont say you have no space! I see you have plenty of space. Who needs to go outside and eat anyways when you got the best rgb monitors ever?

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Why you selling some of your monitors?
Just use different systems for different monitors. Such a shame going through all that effort to just get rid of them. And dont say you have no space! I see you have plenty of space. Who needs to go outside and eat anyways when you got the best rgb monitors ever?

1: The Mitsubishi CS-40505 is just a high end consumer level TV. The best it does is S-Video. It wasn't a horrible effort getting it but I bought it with the mind set of only using it until I found a Mitsubishi Megaview where I can do RGB. So I suspected to have it for 6 months, 1 year, or 2 years before finding a Megaview that I wanted. Didn't expect to find the exact model I wanted 2 weeks later with other people on the forums looking for one for so long.

2) The Sony PVM and the JVC I both both with the idea of using one or both in my room. One my my computer desk next to my triple monitor set up and the other on my tv shelf next to my console stand. Issue is the 19' Sony and JVC is just a bit smaller then I expected that I would want to deal with. If I were to deal with a 19' monitor I would want a better spec one at least. So what I plan to do is maybe do a review on the two monitors so I'll hold onto them for a month or two to do so then sell them off. Plus I will be moving soonish so my next place won't have as much space.
The current TV stand shelf in my room fits a 27'. I currently have a Panasonic Tau in there that does s video and component. I'd probably end up replacing it with a similar sized PVM when I get the chance.

I am keeping the BVM, Megaview, and the NEC PC CRT. The NEC is a multisync monitor and rgb capable which is pretty cool. I want to do some comparisons with the NEC as well but I just need to find time.

Good reminder about changing the modes to do RGB. I would of probably of forgot to do that. Also I meant getting component cable, D Terminal cable, or just getting a wii with component cables and doing that. There wasn't really much of a difference between the gamecube doing rgb vs YPbPr right? I tend to be pretty hard pressed getting the best quality but I didn't see much with the rgb mod.

Also I thought the xbox nativity supported rgb or at most required a mod? Thought I'v seen it or read about it some where.

And where do you guys prefer to get your cables?
I'v heard of wookieewin on ebay from a lot of sources. Also think I have heard of retrogamingcables.co.uk?

Would it be possible to have someone customize cables to avoid using scart-bnc? To simply just get bnc straight out of the console? I figured it would cost more since no one probably has them laying around but I think if that is an option I would pay more to do so. Would like the concept of doing that. Less cables.

xsq

I'd stick with a first generation Wii for GameCube stuff... and go with the 480p component video output.

As for scart or BNC cables: Consider if you will ever want a switch to choose between systems. Most of those are scart, as are a lot of console RGB cables. And if you integrate a scart switch into you setup, you will only need one Scart to BNC cable to connect it to your monitor.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
As for scart or BNC cables: Consider if you will ever want a switch to choose between systems. Most of those are scart, as are a lot of console RGB cables. And if you integrate a scart switch into you setup, you will only need one Scart to BNC cable to connect it to your monitor.
That is true, but Extron's various Crosspoint switchers can give you the same capability(and with the ability to output to multiple monitors) at what I would call a better price point than the actual quality SCART switchers that are growing more difficult to find.

You could end up with two or three Crosspoints for the price of one of SuperG's custom SCART switchers.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
I'd stick with a first generation Wii for GameCube stuff... and go with the 480p component video output.

That is true, but Extron's various Crosspoint switchers can give you the same capability(and with the ability to output to multiple monitors) at what I would call a better price point than the actual quality SCART switchers that are growing more difficult to find.

You could end up with two or three Crosspoints for the price of one of SuperG's custom SCART switchers.

This is actually what I was going to mention in response to xsq. I was wanting to get an extron. I have a sick set up idea and it also allows me to do more inputs.

So does anyone know of someone would would be able to do good custom cables so I could just have bnc on the other end with out using an adapter?

xsq

you're right, if you want to go all out, get an extron. those things are also hawt.

as for cables: Yodd used to make these years ago, as well as wyo_4r (who is actually "wookieewin" on ebay, IIRC). There used to be a woman on ebay doing really good quality work too, but I can't recall her handle... there's retrogamingcables.co.uk of course (but they're a little on the expansive side and shipping might be high)... I'd just PM wyo and see what he can do for you, good guy. Or build them yourself... it's just cables (and perhaps a sync stripper) ;)

Last edited:

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
. There used to be a woman on ebay doing really good quality work too, but I can't recall her handle
Ebay is retro_console_accessories, and I know she's popped up on shmups under retro access before.

Currently doesn't have anything listed, but you'd need to contact her directly for custom stuff anyway.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Ebay is retro_console_accessories, and I know she's popped up on shmups under retro access before.

Currently doesn't have anything listed, but you'd need to contact her directly for custom stuff anyway.

Got links to people's ebay pages? The only person I know of prior was wookieewin and I know how to find that ebay page. I also knew of retrogamingcables.co.uk.