Laptop Shopping

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
self necro bump. that sounds like some weird fetish.
totally forgot about some of those names already..... bobak must have realized this is too much drama. even for him.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think Bob left because of something wasabi said, can't remember. Maybe Bob realized he outgrew the place or wanted to focus more energy on his family, who knows.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
just get a fookin chromebook, imo. that is what i use 95% of the time i'm on a laptop.

I had thought about that, I even remember a few years ago when they were more en vogue if I would get away with just getting a Surface with one of those keyboard docks. Are those still a thing?

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
I had thought about that, I even remember a few years ago when they were more en vogue if I would get away with just getting a Surface with one of those keyboard docks. Are those still a thing?

yep. it sounds like you are only doing things in a browser and in the google ecosystem so it seems like a natural fit. they've added android app support and you can still run linux on top of chrome os, if you need.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Wait, who died?

I got rid of my 10+ year old PC recently and switched to a Raspberry Pi4.

Most of the time I’m on NG.com on my phone.

I do have a Win 7 laptop that I use sparingly. It’s basically got some backups of RPG .pdfs, and my meager sample (.wavs) collection.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
As far as talking about price, if you're talking about accessing the web, all you need is 64bit OS, 8 GB RAM, SSD and a dual core CPU. The retail market is quite competitive so you'll end up picking which one looks better, if you like x company's logo more than the other and the warranty terms.

Laptops all suck dick on purpose and every one I had couldn't be serviced because there's always some very specific part that always fails and is expensive to replace, etc. If basic's post is true then don't even consider other manufacturers.

That is because you've only be buying the over-engineered retail market products. At least with those, you can easily find donor parts on the secondary market, despite the fact that parts with common wear/faults will be more expensive (like Dell/HP hinges). If you ended up buying high-end whitebook or enterprise notebooks, it will be better in the long run, but finding replacement parts can be difficult.

Of which, I'd recommend Microstar whitebooks, Clevo and Compal models. I personally use a Microstar and a Lenovo as my primaries. I'm ridiculously cheap when it comes to notebooks, or else I'd be using a Clevo.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
They are, and for what you need they're pretty good. I have a Lenovo Yoga from early 2017 and it's pretty good. It won't be able to play super hardcore games on it, but for YouTube, emails and wanking it does well.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
They are, and for what you need they're pretty good. I have a Lenovo Yoga from early 2017 and it's pretty good. It won't be able to play super hardcore games on it, but for YouTube, emails and wanking it does well.

Ah, a fellow Yoga wanker.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Old dead thread, but so are my computers.

Ran my Lenovo Y550p into the ground a year or two ago. It had been my primary computer, as I'd stopped using a desktop around 2007. I still have a drawer full of obsolete laptops that I cycle through for some reason.

I'm back to using a desktop for more intensive stuff now, though I've still got a bad habit of trying to stretch hardware past its life cycle. I finally replaced the AM3+ board with an AM4 a week ago, but not before I tried to replace the FX-4100 with an FX-8150 that the AM3+ mobo throttled to 2.8ghz since it wasn't designed for 125W TDP. It started as a prebuilt but I think at this point I've replaced every component aside from the optical drive.

My "power" laptop now is a cheapo Walmart Motile 141 (that's the one with the Ryzen 3200U) that I got during one of their sales. It's mostly okay, though I wouldn't pay the $369 they've got it listed for at the moment. You get what you pay for. A dead pixel popped up for a few days early on which seems to have revived (going on several months now), and I've had a couple of unexplained freezes, but it's fine for cloud-based work.

lithy

20 Year Member
I haven't bought a new one yet, I replaced the screen for $25, the 2009 Gateway 10.1" netbook lives on.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Laptops should have IPS screens these days. Lenovo still makes a few good laptop models.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I haven't bought a new one yet, I replaced the screen for $25, the 2009 Gateway 10.1" netbook lives on.

I'm afraid to ask what the specs and OS are on that.

lithy

20 Year Member
I'm afraid to ask what the specs and OS are on that.

1.6GHz Intel N270 Atom Processor
1024MB DDR2 533MHz Memory
160 GB SATA Hard Drive, Integrated 0.3 Megapixel Webcam
10.1-Inch SD WSVGA High Brightness LED-backlit Display, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

It currently has Windows 10 on it, although it is stripped as barebones as I can get it. I did put another 1024MB of RAM into it, but no more slots now, so that's about all I can do for it. On Screen #2, Keyboard #2, and Battery #4.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I don't know if it's the penguin or the libertarianism, but I'm surprised Lithy doesn't use Linux.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
1.6GHz Intel N270 Atom Processor
1024MB DDR2 533MHz Memory
160 GB SATA Hard Drive, Integrated 0.3 Megapixel Webcam
10.1-Inch SD WSVGA High Brightness LED-backlit Display, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

It currently has Windows 10 on it, although it is stripped as barebones as I can get it. I did put another 1024MB of RAM into it, but no more slots now, so that's about all I can do for it. On Screen #2, Keyboard #2, and Battery #4.

I have an HP Mini 1000 with an N270 and I find it unusable with Windows 10. MX Linux still releases for 32 bit architecture and is pretty user friendly. Much faster performance if you're willing to give it a shot. I've also got it running on an Inspiron 9100 from 2004 (uses a Desktop Pentium 4).

Edit: Check it:

Screenshot_2020-09-17_10-41-31.png

Last edited: