Favorite Nintendo 64 Game Non-first-party nintendo?

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
What is everyone's favorite n64 game that wasn't made by the first party-nintendo?

Mine would have to be Banjo Kazooie or Conkers Bad Fur Day

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
When Banjo Kazooie first came out, I was blown away.

And yes, I played the shit out of Goldeneye when it came out.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
This thread would be challenging if we were not allowed to mention Rare. That company was almost the reason to own an N64; Goldeneye, Perfect Dark (fuck the haters this game was better), Conkers, and to lesser extent the Banjo games (they were collect-a-thons...not totally my thing).

Not counting those two companies I'd say the AKI wrestling games were amazing for their time (leagues ahead of the shitty acclaim/iguana titles). Shadows of the Empire was a blast when it came out, haven't played it in nearly a decade though so not sure if it has held up. Mischief Makers has aged pretty well too, it is a game that is pretty easy to beat, but to get really high ranks is another story. I only beat it just two years ago and was blown away by how fun it was. That game makes me realize that the N64 really should have been a console for quality 2d titles. Perfect for the cart format.

Can't recall if Wayne Gretzky's 3d hockey is good anymore. Has been nearly 15 years since I played that title.

Almost everything else is forgetable

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
This thread would be challenging if we were not allowed to mention Rare. That company was almost the reason to own an N64; Goldeneye, Perfect Dark (fuck the haters this game was better)

Wait, wait.

You're saying there are people who think Goldeneye was better than Perfect Dark? At least in terms of the multiplayer that's just absurd.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Wait, wait.

You're saying there are people who think Goldeneye was better than Perfect Dark? At least in terms of the multiplayer that's just absurd.

The majority of people I talk to think goldeneye is the better game. It is genuinely hard to get people to play Perfect Dark over goldeneye.

I understand to SOME extent, PD does have all those goofy alien weapons that are just stupid, the game lags like a mofo when the actions heats up, and the stun weapons are annoying.

Still, turn off some of the weapons and you are good to go. I wish I could overclock my n64 to help with the lag issues.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The majority of people I talk to think goldeneye is the better game. It is genuinely hard to get people to play Perfect Dark over goldeneye.

I understand to SOME extent, PD does have all those goofy alien weapons that are just stupid, the game lags like a mofo when the actions heats up, and the stun weapons are annoying.

Still, turn off some of the weapons and you are good to go. I wish I could overclock my n64 to help with the lag issues.

You only know crazy people, friend.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
A few suggestions based on personal preference would include:

Doom 64
Turok series
RUSH series
Beetle Adventure Racing
Extreme G
Wipeout 64
Wetrix

And, I know I'm gonna die for it, but for all their flaws, I always ENJOYED the Castlevania games *gulp*

As Eddie already mentioned, pretty much ANY Rareware games for N64 too...

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Wetrix was and still is awesome. Mystical Ninja is pretty cool too.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Goldeneye, probably the best game I played on the N64 and the multi player was fun also. Finally Rare make a movie licensed game that does not suck.

Rare were at the height of their power during the N64 now what's happened to them after being bought by Microsoft?

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Carmageddon 64
I bought that for £6 NEW from my local town when I was a teenager. I disliked it so much, I actually spent the time, effort and money travelling back the way to take it back for a refund.

I probably broke even, but it was completely worth it...

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Was Blast Corps. made by Nintendo? That game was fun as hell and Jet Force Gemini were two of my favorites.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Blast corps. Surprised no one mentioned this, probably thebest game on the Ultra 64

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Shadows of the Empire.
Yes, yes, yes and yes. That was a little underrated; I didn't remember anyone having that game. I didn't, my friends didn't, no one that I knew had it except for my cousin. Mystical Ninja was another one like that.