20 years ago today, it was.....

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
MORTAL MONDAY! September 13, 1993. Maybe one of the biggest gaming events that filtered into the mainstream in the 90s. What were you thoughts or memories during that time? Were you into Mortal Kombat or could care less about it? Here is one of the ads I remember seeing alot back then:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
My thoughts at the time were, "Thank God I have a Genesis so I can fucking rip some heads off tonight!"

jon713

Camel Slug
Waiting for my mom to get home so we could go to toys R Us.

I got it for both snes and gen systems, I was a spoiled little sh*t.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I remember if you bought the SNES version you got fucked and wish you had bought the genesis version instead.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
My thoughts at the time were, "Thank God I have a Genesis so I can fucking rip some heads off tonight!"

Word. I remember when I first got the game nobody knew the blood code. After a couple weeks one of the kids in my school got it, and shit got real.

Last edited:

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I didn't get it on release, but went with a friend (and his mom) to Kay•Bee toys on Mortal Monday - fag wore his MK hat...which I was jealous of at that time. I myself didn't receive MK until Christmas of '93 - :(

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I didn't have the cash to buy at the time but I rented the shit out of the Genesis game, and later bought the SNES version (game genie blood FTW, and it was cheaper.)

Mortal Kombat II though, that was the first time I really saved my pennies to buy anything, and I kept calling every store in town until I finally found a Sears that had one in stock. And it was glorious.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
To this day, I still remember both A, B, A, C, A, B, B and Down, Up, Left, Left, A, Right, Down codes. Once that game came out on consoles, the Mortal Kombat cab at our corner candy store was soon replaced with an Addams Family pinball machine.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
To this day, I still remember both A, B, A, C, A, B, B and Down, Up, Left, Left, A, Right, Down codes. Once that game came out on consoles, the Mortal Kombat cab at our corner candy store was soon replaced with an Addams Family pinball machine.

And then things were good.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Mortal Kombat II was a bigger deal for me. I bought MK1 a few weeks after it came out, but MK2 I got on release day. Everybody was sold out right away, but nobody knew a music store (Camelot Music) had a bunk load of them. Good Times.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I actually did not have a Sega Genesis when MK1 came out. Had to buy the SNES version. That basically pushed me to track down a used Genesis Model 1 and got that MK1 later. We did buy MK2 on the SNES though when it came out.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
:down::up::back::back::A::forw::down:

Ah Mortal Monday. What great memories.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member

This... in addition to starting my Sophomore yr of high school with a gf. Man that was dumb.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I was in kindergarten....

Played the snes version everyday before school.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah I was 8 but and was only vaguely aware of it because of Gamepro. I still ended up with a copy on my Genesis that same year via my sisters boyfriend at the time. That is until my Mom caught me playing it and banned it from the house lol. We gave the appearance of him taking it back and from then on I was super careful.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I was entering my senior year in HS. I got the Genesis one because the SNES was had no blood in it. I think as soon as the Sega CD one came out, I opted for that instead.

I logged more hours playing MK2 than MK1.

wildo2ne

Tarma's Gun Polisher
14 at the time, did not really care for Mortal Combat I was doing the Dragon Warrior Thing.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
14 at the time, did not really care for Mortal Combat I was doing the Dragon Warrior Thing.

Ugh, then why the fuck did you decide to post in this thread? You aren't contributing.

...Anyways, I was saving my money for Mortal Kombat so I could get it on release day but I didn't have enough when the time came. Then, about two weeks later I had enough money to buy it, but before I could I was injured at school... broke both my fucking wrists in a fall!

Needless to say, I was fucking devastated because i was looking forward to getting my copy so bad.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Memories... My roommates and I like the SNES version better because of the more vibrant color, even though it was censored to hell. I remember playing over 100 matches on one night, I think I got 7 diamonds (or something) in the bonus round. Great game. MK2 on SNES was even better but we didn't enjoy it as much as the original.

Then I got a Neo Geo AES and Samurai Shodown 2....

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Mortal Kombat II was a bigger deal for me.

Same here, I was really into the various flavours of Street Fighter at the time, MK just seemed very gimmiky even to my 12 year old eyes. When MK II came out though it was a different story because the game play itself was very good. There was more to it than just the fatalitie, we used to play the arcade version in a dedicated cab at a shop that sold Basketball cards (remember that craze!!) When the SNES version hit I remember saving up my pocket money (allowance as you guys say) and buying MK II pretty early on, eventually traded it in along with a bunch of other snes games for an N64. A big mistake in hindsight! :D

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
My parents wouldn't let me get it. I had to secretly rent it from Blockbuster years later.

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
The game scared me as a kid (I was a wuss, I know). I remember walking into the arcade, seeing TONS of people around this arcade machine, I walked up to see what it was, and I saw Raiden get knocked into the pit....I was traumatized, and stayed out of arcades for most of that summer. I remember the side art creeping me out too. I remember finally renting it for SNES and thinking it wasn't so bad. Then again, all the violence was basically taken out. Now I think the first one is the best out of them all. And still have an open challenge with Brandon Dicamillo (From CKY and Viva La Bam) to play aginst him. Maybe one day...

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I used to play it in the arcade often but didn't care to have it on gen or snes. back then I had my aes & got games often for it(so was more into the neo)