nobody talking about how folks in Colorado can legally buy weed?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It's an odd concept that different states in the same country, with no borders between them, could have such different rules and expect to be able to police them. If it's legal in one state then access is pretty much a free for all now I would have thought?

Not that I imagine access to weed in america was ever in any way difficult.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
If it's legal in one state then access is pretty much a free for all now I would have thought?

depends on how the surrounding states want to deal with it; since Colorado sits right in the middle of the US, it's surrounded on all sides by other states so there's likely going to be a fair amount of outside traffic coming in to purchase

some of those surrounding states could choose to monitor the borders and do random checks much like they do here in Massachusetts when our residents head into New Hampshire to purchase fireworks (this is typically only a big deal near the 4th), but again, it's all up to each respective surrounding state to do as they please

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It's 30% more expensive to buy the same weed recreationally than it would be if you bought it with a medical card, so I reckon most here will continue to buy through their friends with red cards. Everyone here knows at least ONE person with a red card.

It's a great step forward but now we need to dump the ridiculous taxes and lower the legal age.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Don't forget that despite whatever CO does marijuana consumption/possession/growing is still against federal law.

DEA can swoop in whenever they want. All it will take is for the political winds to change.

Famicommander has a good point though. I saw an image of a receipt online that was supposedly for the first legal purchase of weed in the state. First thing I noticed was how much the tax was. It was around 21% which is a pretty stout tax.

Of course that gives me hope that the Federal Government will wisen up, look at how much tax revenue CO is getting, and then move to legalize on a national level.

I hope CA legalizes soon.

EDIT: Also I posted about this in the war room in the civil rights thread :emb:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Don't forget that despite whatever CO does marijuana consumption/possession/growing is still against federal law.
Well, that's what the feds say anyway. The Tenth Amendment says the feds shouldn't have shit to say about it. Plus states have the power to nullify unconstitutional federal laws, and have in the past. That pretty much died out with Grand Dictator Lincoln's war to prevent southern independence.

The whole bullshit that "federal laws supersede state laws" only applies to the powers delegated to the federal government explictly by the Constitution.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Tangentially related: Smoking weed makes you a prohibited person for the purpose of purchasing a firearm in the United States (even "medical" marijuana.) Lying on the 4473 [Federal Background check form] is also a felony. ATF has already opined that merely having a medical marijuana card or prescription may make a person prohibited from owning arms.

Maybe there will be some interesting court cases coming down the road. Maybe not. I hope people get their heads out of their asses and we see more shit somewhat deregulated. People deserve to make their own decisions about their life, even if they lead to disastrous consequences.

PS: fuck CO for legalizing weed but simultaneously enacting new draconian firearms laws. For civil rights it's like one step forward two steps backward.

Well, that's what the feds say anyway. The Tenth Amendment says the feds shouldn't have shit to say about it. Plus states have the power to nullify unconstitutional federal laws, and have in the past. That pretty much died out with Grand Dictator Lincoln's war to prevent southern independence.

The whole bullshit that "federal laws supersede state laws" only applies to the powers delegated to the federal government explictly by the Constitution.

Yeah, except we all know how that line of reasoning ends: BATFE, DEA, FBI, and DHS roll up on you, your friends, associates, and anyone you've ever even fucking made eye contact with. They shoot first, ask questions later.

PS: LOL @ Grand Dictator Lincoln. I'm gonna steal that phrase.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
That is the nature of government. The negation of the rights of the individual is the only logical and only possible outcome of government.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I know it's legal to grow now in CO - but does CO law allow for individuals to sell to others in limited quantities? I know you can give weed to anyone 21+

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
at $70 for an 1/8th, there isn't much to talk about.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

That's a lot of money. Beer is so cheap from shops that brewing your own is financially pointless (though still fun), whereas growing your own weed if it's perfectly legal will probably become as common as homebrew used to be, the money saved will be massive. This could quickly move the whole thing from a legality of drugs question to a tax avoidance argument which is a good thing because while everyone is arguing about that instead of about banning it again smokers can get on with their lives in peace.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
prices will likely come down once more shops open up

although i would still be perfectly ok with paying higher prices due to the variety of higher-quality strains

edit: should probably add that i don't smoke (anymore) but i do believe firmly in the legalization of it so this is a good thing

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Most medical shops sell it for anywhere from $15-45 an 1/8th.

And like I said, everyone in the whole state knows at least one person with a medical card. Hell, my dad even has one.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I know it's legal to grow now in CO - but does CO law allow for individuals to sell to others in limited quantities? I know you can give weed to anyone 21+
As far as I know you need a government license to sell at all, not just to open a shop. But you're right; you can gift it.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I do not see the sales going up as the price makes it prohibitive.

GAMEFAN

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Proof that Colorado is boring as fuck. When people are having fun, drugs are the last thing on their minds.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Fuck weed, do cocaine or LSD.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member

Well, I haven't got stoned for a couple years now, but what I remember reading about this recreational ganja business that someone age 21+ can grow up to 4 mature plants. As far as I know to SELL (keyword) you must either be a medical "caretaker" or have a recreational cultivation/distribution license and rules about that can vary by county.

For instance, the county I live in, Larimer, has not been real big on marijuana of any kind. Before the vote in 2012 there were ZERO medical marijuana dispensaries in the county, people with red cards were going to a small town in Boulder County (Lyons). In 2012 Larimer County residents voted to reopen medical dispensaries, and as far as recreational marijuana is concerned, they're taking it slow, I read recently that recreational sales will be limited to unincorporated areas of the county and that they will only be granting a total of eight recreational distribution licenses. Fort Collins is the only municipality in the county that is willing to open up recreational dispensaries inside town limits, and that's only after "enough time has passed to determine the impact on the community". All the other towns in Larimer have already placed bans on those businesses opening within city limits.

IMO, that's such bullshit, without a legal place to buy it close to home, they'll either buy it in another county and pay taxes there or buy from an illicit dealer (read: shitheads). Loveland in particular already has a lot of problems with gangs, and banning dispensaries will only help the gangbangers.

But meh, ultimately I don't really care that much, I don't smoke the stuff, all I really want is to see the tax revenue for public schools and roads.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I give CO credit for stepping out and legalizing, but those prices aren't going to put the home-dealers out of business.

Seriously. I imagine weed smokers to be surrounded in animal turds, breeding ecoli, and smelling like homeless people.

lol Solid placement, in the same recreational class as spray paint huffing.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well, I haven't got stoned for a couple years now, but what I remember reading about this recreational ganja business that someone age 21+ can grow up to 4 mature plants. As far as I know to SELL (keyword) you must either be a medical "caretaker" or have a recreational cultivation/distribution license and rules about that can vary by county.

For instance, the county I live in, Larimer, has not been real big on marijuana of any kind. Before the vote in 2012 there were ZERO medical marijuana dispensaries in the county, people with red cards were going to a small town in Boulder County (Lyons). In 2012 Larimer County residents voted to reopen medical dispensaries, and as far as recreational marijuana is concerned, they're taking it slow, I read recently that recreational sales will be limited to unincorporated areas of the county and that they will only be granting a total of eight recreational distribution licenses. Fort Collins is the only municipality in the county that is willing to open up recreational dispensaries inside town limits, and that's only after "enough time has passed to determine the impact on the community". All the other towns in Larimer have already placed bans on those businesses opening within city limits.

IMO, that's such bullshit, without a legal place to buy it close to home, they'll either buy it in another county and pay taxes there or buy from an illicit dealer (read: shitheads). Loveland in particular already has a lot of problems with gangs, and banning dispensaries will only help the gangbangers.

But meh, ultimately I don't really care that much, I don't smoke the stuff, all I really want is to see the tax revenue for public schools and roads.

So wait - shitheads aren't running the licensed dispensaries too?

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
So wait - shitheads aren't running the licensed dispensaries too?

Fair point. There was a picture in the news article about day one of recreational sales, the picture was of 2 employees of a dispensary in Denver, I swear I could smell the body odor through my computer. At least THOSE shitheads are selling taxable product.