Side Scrolling Beat-em ups

Superspecs

n00b
Hi all,

Like most people I know, I had little to no experience with Neo-Geo titles growing up due to them being so expensive/rarer than rocking horse shit but I have recently come into possession of a tidy 6-slot cab.

Anyway, I was a Sega Kid when I was younger and my favourite game of all time is Streets of Rage 2 so I was wondering what the best or notable side-scrolling beat em ups were.

Anything with 80s street punks, trash cans with turkeys in and dominatrix's gets bonus points!

Love Specs.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
you know how to google, right?

check: Sengoku Series (esp. 3), Mutation Nation, Robo Army.
Don't know if 8man and Ninja Combat count, they prominently feature projectiles...
Burning Fight is also there, but it's not so great.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
I would go with Sengoku 2 and Mutation Nation.

Burning Fight ain't much either, just think of Final Fight but a whole lot worse.

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
Mutation Nation is the best beat'em up on the Neo IMO.

I'm really hoping that NGdevTeam would make one at some point down the line. Seems like they are really hitting their stride.

Superspecs

n00b
you know how to google, right?

check: Sengoku Series (esp. 3), Mutation Nation, Robo Army.
Don't know if 8man and Ninja Combat count, they prominently feature projectiles...
Burning Fight is also there, but it's not so great.

I stumbled across Mutation Nation after googling but thought it looked a bit pants to be honest. Il check out those others though.

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Don't bother. None of them hold a candle to sor2 but then again nothing does. Its sad to think that we hit the pinnacle of the genre 20 years ago. At the time I was so excited about future side scroller beat me ups completely unaware that no one would ever make anything better.

The greatest beat me up ever? Final Fight 1 arcade version. I don't think I've ever played a beat me up this fun.

Superspecs

n00b
The greatest beat me up ever? Final Fight 1 arcade version. I don't think I've ever played a beat me up this fun.

I didnt play Final Fight until after Streets of Rage 2 so it always felt a bit shallow to me. Still good fun though!

I didnt play Final Fight until after Streets of Rage 2 so it always felt a bit shallow to me. Still good fun though!

Street of rage 2 was fun but I played final fight a lot in the arcades and that arcade experience and losing of 8$ of quarters to beat the game is a feeling you sadly can't replicate these days haha.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Sengoku 3 is hands down the best of the ones I've played on the Neo. Mutation Nation is decent as well. However, I'd still rather play Final Fight or Streets of Rage 1 or 2.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Mutation Nation mostly for the concept then comes Sengoku 2 and 3rd Robo Army which is very cute.
The king of all is Caddilacs & Dinosaurs imo

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
Don't bother. None of them hold a candle to sor2 but then again nothing does. Its sad to think that we hit the pinnacle of the genre 20 years ago. At the time I was so excited about future side scroller beat me ups completely unaware that no one would ever make anything better.

Until SoRR.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Damn, beat to da' punch. Came to say good luck finding something that will hit bone like SoR, Final Fight, or even Double Dragon II ~ The Revenge - Game Pak, for your Nintendo Entertainment System.

One thing I do like, and I think you will too is the scale of the characters. If you're used to Gennie/SNES/NES fighters, you'll appreciate them..

If you can find Burning Fight for like $10, it's worth some LOLs.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Deffo Sengoku 3. Fun juggle mechanics.

If you have a SNES, check out Ghost Chaser Densei. Only two buttons, but the fighting engine has a LOT of cool stuff you can do. It's... not very cheap to buy though. Also Japanese only.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Unlike any of the neo beat em ups, SOR2 wasn't designed to suck quarters out of people's pockets. You could grand upper the whole way through.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Its sad to think that we hit the pinnacle of the genre 20 years ago. At the time I was so excited about future side scroller beat me ups completely unaware that no one would ever make anything better.

Hey I love SOR2 too. But I don't think you've bothered to look very far into the genre if you're making this statement.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
If you have a SNES, check out Ghost Chaser Densei. Only two buttons, but the fighting engine has a LOT of cool stuff you can do.

Yes. This is absolutely the best SNES beat 'em up. Nice combo engine, juggles, supers, on the ground attacks, but 16 bit style in 1994.

Crush Roller

Rugal's Thug
I would agree with most of the above ,Sengoku for Neogeo and SOR2 is my fav Megadrive game,the slap sound when you hit someone is really satisfying lol. I own a Final Fight cab and played it as much as I could until it became faulty,I would recommend any of the Snes Final Fight versions and also Batman Returns which is very atmospheric although it can get repetitious faster than some other scrolling beaters.

housethemous

New Challenger
I really enjoy Mutation Nation and Robo Army.

Burning Fight can be fun for a couple of laughs too - but not on the same level.

DeusVult

Another Striker
sengoku 3 is the best scrolling beat em up by far on the neo, I like burning fight and mutation nation also.

but SoR2 is a classic so tough to compare against it, its a shame the neo is lacking in this area, a few more moves in the some of the games would have made all
the difference.

Superspecs

n00b
Deffo Sengoku 3. Fun juggle mechanics.

If you have a SNES, check out Ghost Chaser Densei. Only two buttons, but the fighting engine has a LOT of cool stuff you can do. It's... not very cheap to buy though. Also Japanese only.

I don't own a SNES but I do remember really enjoying Batman Returns on that system. Also, I cant believe noone has mentioned the Turtles or Simpsons konami arcade games. Still have a soft spot for those.

Sengoku 3 looks pretty mint tbh, i might keep my eyes peeled for a copy.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I've played Ninja Combat a lot, it's a pretty decent game, a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

If Burning Fight, Mutation Nation and Robo Army weren't so expensive on AES, I'd try those too. I suppose Robo Army is the cheapest.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've played Ninja Combat a lot, it's a pretty decent game, a lot better than I thought it was going to.

I have fond memories of Ninja Combat as it was the first game I ever played on MVS. I don't understand why this game gets panned so often. I find it quite fun!