Side Scrolling Beat-em ups

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Burning Fight is pretty good if you don't compare it to Final Fight. People are way too hard on it.

Mutation Nation still plays pretty good, and has that 80s vibe for sure.

Sengoku 2 and 3 are both good games. I hated on Sengoku 3 for a long, long time, but I've finally warmed to it. It's still no fun to play straight through, but if you go for the how-far-can-I-get-on-a-credit style of play it can be a lot of fun. Sengoku 2 is arguably the best beat-em-up on the system. It's not perfect, but it's probably the closest the Neo ever got to a CPS style beat-em-up. Will cost you a pretty penny, though.

Robo Army is cool-ass looking. Love the art style, but the play bores after a while.

The original Sengoku and Ninja Combat are not my style. Both are a little too old school. If you have nostalgia for Ninja Combat like a lot of the folks around here do, then you'll probably love it. The first time I played it was in 2000 or so and I couldn't see what the fuss was all about. Definitely needed to grow up playing that one to appreciate it. ;)

Overall, there are some decent, but not great, brawlers on the Neo. Sengoku 2 or 3 are arguably the best, but if you are into the old school Sega style beat-em-ups, you'll probably really dig Burning Fight and Mutation Nation, and they're both decently priced.

Edit: Doesn't really count as a beat-em-up, but worth mentioning: Aggressors of Dark Kombat [GanGan] is a beat-em-up style fighting game that is hard as nails, but has a lot of that beat-em-up feel. You pummel people with weapons you find around the stage and move around the screen like in a beat-em-up.

Definitely not everyone's favorite. Heck, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they loved the game, but it does look pretty awesome, and plays pretty unique. I'd try these out on MAME and see what tickles you. With the way NG prices have gone, we're far into the try-before-you-buy era. ;)

Last edited:

Hide

Banned
There is definitely nothing on the Neo which comes close to SOR2.
Like someone said earlier, SOR2 is the pinnacle of Beatemups.

Burning Fight sucks. the hit detection sucks balls.
Mutation Nation isnt bad.
My personal fav is Sengoku 2, and also Ninja Combat, for the nostalgia.
Sengoku 3 is fine for the fancy combos, but too boring for me.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Burning Fight ain't much either, just think of Final Fight but a whole lot worse.

Burning Fight is as similar to Final Fight as any other city themed beat 'em up. I still don't understand why every time the game is mentioned peopleare inclined to say "LOL, it's like Final Fight!".

If Burning Fight had a different name and Ryu wore green instead of Red people wouldn't say anything about the game.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Burning Fight is as similar to Final Fight as any other city themed beat 'em up. I still don't understand why every time the game is mentioned peopleare inclined to say "LOL, it's like Final Fight!".
If Burning Fight had a different name and Ryu wore green instead of Red people wouldn't say anything about the game.
I can't say I've played Burning Fight in 2-player mode, but in one-player mode, it's nowhere near in the same league as Final Fight.
The arcade version of Final Fight is often considered the best scrolling beat-em-up of all time. Nothing on the Neo matches it, although Sengoku 2 and 3 are good.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I can't say I've played Burning Fight in 2-player mode, but in one-player mode, it's nowhere near in the same league as Final Fight.

1-player vs. 2-player is irrelevant. Of course it's not in the same league as Final Fight. I don't even like the game!

I'm just saying that Burning Fight doesn't share any of Final Fight's core mechanics or it's play style. It does share a few superficial similarities though, obviously.

If Fatal Fury 2 had the word Street in the title people would be calling it a SFII rip off as often as Burning Fight gets called a FF rip off.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
1-player vs. 2-player is irrelevant. Of course it's not in the same league as Final Fight. I don't even like the game!

I'm just saying that Burning Fight doesn't share any of Final Fight's core mechanics or it's play style. It does share a few superficial similarities though, obviously.

If Fatal Fury 2 had the word Street in the title people would be calling it a SFII rip off as often as Burning Fight gets called a FF rip off.
Fatal Fury 2 copies a lot of elements from Street Fighter 2, it's just that they are changed a little, so you don't notice they've been ripped off.

Superspecs

n00b

Playing devil's advocate here but... it looks like a Final Fight rip off to me :P

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
I only have Sengoku 1 but it was the first neo geo game that i played in the arcade when i was young so it has a nostalgic factor to make it more fun ! I never tried sengoku 2 or 3 but with all the comment it look fun to play !

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Edit: Doesn't really count as a beat-em-up, but worth mentioning: Aggressors of Dark Kombat [GanGan] is a beat-em-up style fighting game that is hard as nails, but has a lot of that beat-em-up feel. You pummel people with weapons you find around the stage and move around the screen like in a beat-em-up.

Definitely not everyone's favorite. Heck, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they loved the game, but it does look pretty awesome, and plays pretty unique. I'd try these out on MAME and see what tickles you. With the way NG prices have gone, we're far into the try-before-you-buy era. ;)

I don't know if I'd say I love AoDK, but I really like it. It probably gets more play in my cab than any Neo fighter other than KOF 98, SamSho II, Breakers Revenge, or Waku Waku 7. Top 5 ain't bad.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Especially the maze part. Keep going round 'n round in the elevators. XD

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
You guys that keep saying SoR2/Final Fight are 'teh bestest eva' brawlers really, really need to expand your horizons a little bit...

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Here's one I'm pretty fond of that doesn't get much love: Magic Sword

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You guys that keep saying SoR2/Final Fight are 'teh bestest eva' brawlers really, really need to expand your horizons a little bit...
Then what would you say are the best scrolling beat-em-ups, if they're not Final Fight and Streets of Rage?

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Best SOR is SOR 3 jap version where in a case you fight against a tough shemale. Great fun. Final Fight tough on SNES isn't bad but has no more than 3 enemiies on screen at the same time. Turtles in Time is the best beat em up on SNES imo

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Best SOR is SOR 3 jap version where in a case you fight against a tough shemale. Great fun.

Final Fight tough on SNES isn't bad but has no more than 3 enemiies on screen at the same time. Turtles in Time is the best beat em up on SNES imo

Tough Shemale? Ash is all man, obviously.

Also, unlike every other SNES beat 'em up (barring ghost chaser I think), Final Fight 3/Tough one of the rare instances where 4 enemies can show up on the screen a few times in the game.

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I don't really know good ones for the Geo tbh - apart from that I did enjoy Ninja Baseball Batman

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster

Also, unlike every other SNES beat 'em up (barring ghost chaser I think), Final Fight 3/Tough one of the rare instances where 4 enemies can show up on the screen a few times in the game.
Are you sure about that? I can't say as I have not finished the game.
Do you know how to change routes?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member

Do you mean 4 enemies, plus both player 1 and 2's sprites?

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member

Exactly the best Beat'em up is Might final fight on the nes, and why play around with the inferior Snes version of Final fight, When Final Fight CD blows it away.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Are you sure about that? I can't say as I have not finished the game.
Do you know how to change routes?

LOL

Do you mean 4 enemies, plus both player 1 and 2's sprites?

I rarely play beat 'em ups with two players (nor do I use the cpu partner gimmick in Final Fight 3). I'm not sure if 4 enemies show up with both player sprites present. Let me find out..

Last edited: