Studio Ghibli closes down...or don't? Hnnnrgh

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Dang.. I wonder what's going to happen to the TV series they were making..

good point, i'm glad ni no kuni released a bit ago, it wasn't the greatest rpg, but i enjoyed it, and It woulda driven me nuts to be left wondering what it would have been like if it never came out.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Can't say I'm surprised. Without Miyazaki, is there really a Studio Ghibli to be had?

This type of news story is why I hope Nintendo learns to develop other talent in house besides Miyamoto (which they seem to be). If you're main idea person(s) goes, what do you get? SNK. Just rehashing old ideas in new ways to try and continue cash flow.

Sad news.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
WTF. After all those successful films too.

My kids love Kiki's Delivery Service and I was hoping Studio Ghibli would be around making films for ages to come.

Prediction: Disney sell-off is approaching.

I know the announcement says they are sticking around as a shell to manage the copyrights (ala FASA Corp.) but I just don't see that lasting.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
This is sad, Grave of the Fireflies sad...

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
When Miyazaki retired the writing was on the wall

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Wow, this sucks, though I'd rather see them stop making movies rather than start making shitty ones without Miyazaki.

Hopefully the museum stays open. I'd love to go there if I ever get to Japan.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I doubt we've seen the last film from Goro Miyazaki though. From Up on Poppy Hill was great. I see no reason why he can't create his own studio, or join another one.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
When Miyazaki retired the writing was on the wall

He retired for real this time. I remember reading a little while back that he was retiring after his next film, then after the film came out he changed his mind and said was working on another one.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Well, so much for the Porco Rosso sequel. Shame they can't keep it going. It's like shutting down Disney after Walt passed away. They have their own unique style and it's a shame to see it's going.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Jesus christ.. this is the among the saddest news I've ever heard.. I don't even know what to do with this.. jesus..

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Man, this is unfortunate. Ghibli is the only anime studio I really gave a shit about... I always thought of them as the Japanese Disney. Shame to see them done with movies.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Wow, this sucks, though I'd rather see them stop making movies rather than start making shitty ones without Miyazaki.

Hopefully the museum stays open. I'd love to go there if I ever get to Japan.

the museum was really cool. it's not very big, I've been in people's houses that were bigger. Surreal is the best word i can think of to describe it. I went with my japanese teacher, he didnt care too much about it, but thought I'd like it. I wanna take my wife there, she's a big fan.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Has anyone seen "When Marnie Was There?" How was it? I can't find any fansub

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Well, so much for the Porco Rosso sequel. Shame they can't keep it going. It's like shutting down Disney after Walt passed away. They have their own unique style and it's a shame to see it's going.

Tarma and Eri are just going to have to wing it.