PGM / IGS Information Thread and PRICE GUIDE

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
That's awesome, Jim. How is it, compared to say League Bowling?

Thanks for sharing - I haven't seen many screenshots of it.

Also, updated the OP to include "Puzzli 2 Super"; an apparent sequel to Puzzli 2. I haven't seen any sales (as I just randomly saw a label of it in other image searches) so i'll keep my eye out to guage value.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Thanks, Mike. I forgot to add what I paid for it, re: price guide update. It's a Bill Berger eBay special, so the price started a little high...but I got him down to $80 shipped w/ Make an Offer.

I love this game! The character animations are priceless. The girl self flagellating for missing, and the guy who eats a pin are highlights. League Bowling is one of my favs, so I went in expecting to be underwhelmed by VB.

Control is spot on-I never felt cheated by the physics either. I was able to Virtua Bowl in the same style as my real life bowling...that is to say: 1) line my player up far left 2) toss the ball medium speed toward the right corner 3) put tons of spin/hook on it to swing the ball back into a Strike zone.

I'm having a hard time getting tapatalk to load a vid. I'll try and get one up on YouTube this week.

While combing GameFaqs I came across a review that said there is a strip (!) bowling option, lol. If I can ever get two turkeys in a row, I'll see for myself.

Last edited:

luggal

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I was looking to replace my bad PGM1 mobo a while back. My memory might be fuzzy but I recall some descriptions referring to a newer version or revision of the board. A quick search didn't turn up any examples and no mention on the wiki, system16, etc..

Are there different versions and are there any benefits having one over another?

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
I was looking to replace my bad PGM1 mobo a while back. My memory might be fuzzy but I recall some descriptions referring to a newer version or revision of the board. A quick search didn't turn up any examples and no mention on the wiki, system16, etc..

Are there different versions and are there any benefits having one over another?

I'm not positive on revisions but I know this for certain. There are different runs - the earlier versions have a darker red shell and the plastic is heavier, has a bit of "textured" feeling to it. There is a revision with a much lighterweight plastic, it's a bit brighter, and smoother. Everyone of these lighter plastic models i've had has either had a coin-cell battery (some look like home-mod, some look factory); or has had the battery removed entirely. As far as performance - no idea if one is more reliable than the other.

ALSO:
I'm making a large order, or maybe "heavy" is the appropriate word, from HKLegend. I'm able to add one more midsize item to the box at no additional shipping - i'm going to grab an extra Knights of Valour 3 Full Set for PGM2 which includes Cart + PGM 2 mother board + 1 x card reader + 10x game memory card. You'd still pay shipping from me to you (about $12-15 depending on zip) but you'll save the $35 from HK to US so about $20 savings. It'd be $178 plus shipping from me to you, so figure around $192 total. If interested hit me up today as i'm finalizing the order tonight.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Unable to update OP and haven't updated the price guide in 8 months, so...here goes:

PRICE GUIDE and GAME LIST:
prices last updated 9.22.14--->5.6.15)
Blazing 3 in 1 / Shiny 3 in 1 / Flashy 3 in 1 - (unknown) - $50
China Dragon II / Dragon World II - Puzzle / Tile - $20
China Dragon 3 / Dragon World 3 - Puzzle / Tile - $25
China Dragon 3 special / Dragon World 3 Special - Puzzle / Tile - $25
China Dragon 3 EX / Dragon World 3 EX - Puzzle / Tile - $30
China Dragon 4 / Dragon World 2001 - Puzzle / Tile - $35
China Dragon Pretty Chance / Dragon World Pretty Chance - $40
Demon Front - Run n' Gun - $95
DoDonpachi 2 : Bee Storm - Shmup - $160
DoDonpachi Dai Ou Jou Black Label (conversion) - $210
EspGaluda (conversion) - $210
Happy 6 in 1 - Card and Tile - $50
Ketsui (conversion) - $240
Killing Blade - 2D Fighter - $60
Killing Blade Plus - 2D Fighter - $85
Knights Of Valor - Beat 'em up - $50
Knights Of Valor 2 - Beat 'em up - $75
Knights Of Valor 2 : Nine Dragons - Beat 'em up - $90
Knights Of Valor Super Heroes - Beat 'em up - $80
Knights Of Valor Super Heroes Plus - Beat 'em up - $110
Knights Of Valour Plus - Beat 'em up - $75
Martial Masters - 2D Fighter - $80
Oriental Legend - Beat 'em up - $55
Oriental Legend Super / Oriental Legend Plus - Beat 'em up - $80
Oriental Legend Super Special / Oriental Legend Super Plus - Beat 'em up - $100
Photo Y2K - Puzzle - $20
Photo Y2K 2 - Puzzle - $30
Puzzle Star - Puzzle - $85
Puzzli 2 - Puzzle - $75
Puzzli 2 Super - Puzzle - $NA
Spectral vs Generation - $190
The Gladiator: The Road Of Sword - Beat 'em up - $120
PGM Motherboard - $80

PGM PCB Format:
Demon Front - $80
DoDonPachi DaiOuJou - $400
Espgaluda - $325
Ketsui - $650
Oriental Legend 2: The Journey to the West - $500
Spectral vs Generation - $75
The Gladiator - $80
Virtua Bowling - $50

PGM2 (assumes with motherboard and other peripherals)
DDP DOJ Tamashi (White Label) - $350
King of Fighters Ultimate Match 98 - $350
Knights of Valour 2 - $210
Knights of Valour 3 - $220
Oriental Legend 2 - $210
Puzzle of Ocha - $NA

PGM3 w/mobo and peripherals
Knights of Valour 3 HD - $425

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Nice update. Is there a specific place to buy the conversions?

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Nice update. Is there a specific place to buy the conversions?

There is - but the person who makes them is not highly regarded in all circles and I think the general consensus is to try and buy existing copies as opposed to having him make more. When folks first bought them - most thought he was using very common / very low value Dragon World / Photo Y2K carts, etc. However, apparently the conversions require use of the better games; Martial Masters, Demon Front, Knights of Valour...

So, ideally you would post a WTB first to acquire an existing conversion cart.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
There is - but the person who makes them is not highly regarded in all circles and I think the general consensus is to try and buy existing copies as opposed to having him make more.

THIS!!

Or, just make an extra "effort" and buy the real PCB ;)

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Oh ok. Thanks. I was planning on buying a knights of valour, which version is best? I was leaning towards knights of valour super heroes plus, but haven't played all the other versions

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
He charges like $240 euros for shit like Ketsui and you have to provide the cart. $100 cart + $240 euro, might as well buy the real pcb. Plus his work is shit according to fox.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
He charges like $240 euros for shit like Ketsui and you have to provide the cart. $100 cart + $240 euro, might as well buy the real pcb. Plus his work is shit according to fox.
From what others have said, I agree. I'll most likely go the pcb route. I do want to get a copy of oriental legends, knights of valour, and possibly killing blade. I just need to know which versions of each are best, since I don't plan on getting all of them

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
In most cases the last iteration is the better game - mostly additional paths, more characters, boss rushes, etc.

KoV2 Nine Dragons and KoV Superheroes Plus would be the 2 to have if not getting them all. Oriental Legend Super Special and Killing Blade Plus are the defining games in those series.

I'm working with my PGM contact now as he just got another pile of carts in and is giving me dibs - i'll probably have a GB in the ZDTF tonight.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Nice. I've never played killing blade or spectral vs generation. How are these? From the YouTube vids I've seen, SvG looks more polished in terms of graphics, but I haven't found any feedback to actual gameplay

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Umm, well, in full disclosure, there are significantly more versed fight-hounds on this board than myself, so my opinions on them should be taken in that context.

Killing Blade is decent - controls are not as smooth as Martial Masters. It has an interesting set of characters including a dude who uses katana blades as legs. The plus version introduces something else, and w/o popping it in, I can't recall if it is a tag system, or an alternating plane system...I can check tomorrow if no one else chimes in...I completely forget.

Spectral v Generation has very nice sprite work and it plays relatively smooth. I quite like it - though most hardcore FG fans do not. I don't recall the music or sound effects being anything particularly special.

Martial Masters is always my go-to if i'm playing a fighter on PGM. Again, for me, the word "smoothness" is sort of that thing determines if a fighter is going to be enjoyable. No input delay, no slugishness or clunk, attacks are on point (not phantom), everything aligns (controls / sprites / sounds), etc. It feels a lot like Garou to me (and others, I know) in it's fluidity.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I have martial masters, and agree it's a great game. Killing blade al ways looked like a game that was rushed through production, just wanted to give it a chance.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I have a PGM. I was lucky enough to receive it from a friend/long term member from another forum (Merlin from NGFL).

I received with it, pretty much, all the titles I was interested in (re: KOV series, OL series, KBlade series, Gladiator, MMasters & Demon Front). It also came with SvG, however, I think it's pretty garbage, personally.

A note about the KOV titles:

KOV & KOV Plus are quite different from KOV Superheroes & KOV Superheroes Plus.

I'm a bit conflicted by them, because although the earlier two games have LESS characters overall and gameplay is improved in the latter two, the original "vanilla' versions are actually longer/bigger games, as far as I can tell.

From playing all four of them continuously when I got them, I found the original and plus to be CONSIDERABLY longer games. There's quite a lot of 'game' missing from the leaner sequels. Whether this was a developer choice (presumably?) or a memory limitation vs the other content, I played all 4 in order - front to back - and although I enjoyed more characters and gameplay improvements in the Superheroes versions, I missed a lot of the levels and length missing from the standard KOV's.

I haven't got KOV2 yet, but couldn't resist playing KOV2 9D before getting hold of it. 9D, objectively speaking, is quite probably the best 2D beat em up I've played to date. It feels like what SNK would have made as a beat em up in the Last Blade/Garou era, if they had been more capable with that genre.

Gladiator is also very good, but I still prefer the KOV series over it, overall.

Last edited:

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I've been slowly collecting the games that look good to play, and was wondering if any of the puzzle games are any good. Are any worth getting?

Stacey Adam

New Challenger
This has me intrigued....Have been off the boards and out of the arcade scene for about 9 years. Played out on the Neo Geo titles and this seems like the perfect system for a supergun and my home theater. Only a handful of games that I would really want and I won't break the bank like last time. (Had to sell my neo 29 candy cab when money got tight)
I'll have to keep an eye out for the next group buy also.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
I've been slowly collecting the games that look good to play, and was wondering if any of the puzzle games are any good. Are any worth getting?

The Dragon World games are "ok", if you're into tile / mahjong type games. I can appreciate the sprite work, particularly in Dragon World Pretty Chance, but the gameplay itself does very little for me personally (and I think most others as well as they only do $20-25/ea).

Puzzle Star is very good to excellent. Board layout looks like Baku Baku, except you load your icon from the side and can choose between any of the rows. Has mission mode and head to head. There are a few decent gameplay videos on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3gDRZGb0gc

My go to puzzle game on PGM is Puzzli 2. It plays similar to Puyo Puyo, but upside down a la Aqua Rush. Extremely cutesy sprites and music to match. Head to head is done very well and is addictive. Youtube vid (skip ahead to 15 minute or so mark to see some gameplay): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdX3-52v8fE

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Does anyone know the type of connector used for the PGM 3/4P breakout cable? I want to make a cable so I can hook up a couple Neo controllers for 4-player. I'd rather not spend $30 on one of the cables just to destroy it.

Stacey Adam

New Challenger
FYI...the smallcab website now shows they have The Gladiator cart in stock. From what I've read it's one of the rarer ones to find. Hope that someone on this forum looking for it get's it.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
The Dragon World games are "ok", if you're into tile / mahjong type games. I can appreciate the sprite work, particularly in Dragon World Pretty Chance, but the gameplay itself does very little for me personally (and I think most others as well as they only do $20-25/ea).

Puzzle Star is very good to excellent. Board layout looks like Baku Baku, except you load your icon from the side and can choose between any of the rows. Has mission mode and head to head. There are a few decent gameplay videos on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3gDRZGb0gc

My go to puzzle game on PGM is Puzzli 2. It plays similar to Puyo Puyo, but upside down a la Aqua Rush. Extremely cutesy sprites and music to match. Head to head is done very well and is addictive. Youtube vid (skip ahead to 15 minute or so mark to see some gameplay): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdX3-52v8fE
Puzzling 2 looks great! Definitely will keep my eye out for it.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
Does anyone know the type of connector used for the PGM 3/4P breakout cable? I want to make a cable so I can hook up a couple Neo controllers for 4-player. I'd rather not spend $30 on one of the cables just to destroy it.

James made mine for cheap, I'd ask him (though iirc he's not quite using a perfect connector - can't check right now, I'm at work)

Stacey Adam

New Challenger
Anyone out there still making consolized PGM's. (Saw the one on ebay...exploring my options). I'd like a tidy little set up for my movie room.

If you know anyone willing to part with their's or ideas of other forums I may have better luck with let me know. I could really use one for an upcoming event.

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Basic PGM questions

I got me myself one of those Yaton PGM sets consisting of a motherboard and DDP II and I have some questions in general about the PGM.

The language of the game is determined by the cart, right? Or can it be adjusted in the test menu?

How to distinguish the region of the cart? And how many 'regions' are there? For example I found picures for a Chinese labeled Martial Masters, a Chinese labeled with Japanese subtitle (shin i-ken) and one with English label. Are there any more regions?

And finally about that fourth button: Since I use an MVS-wired supergun with a JAMMA to MVS Adapter from jammaboards.com this should work right away without any modification, right? Pin 25 on the parts side of the adapter is going right through, which is the optional 1P fourth button.