FGW Converter Thread

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
We were talking about this in a sale thread, so to prevent any derailing let's move FGW Converter talk over here.

Basically, the FGW Converter is a board made by Toodles the Great that will convert a Saturn, Playstation, or SNES controller into standard signals for each button and direction. You can then use this for any number of applications. The most basic would be to just wire it to a DB15 connector, and you have an easy to make Saturn/SNES/PSX to Neo Geo controller converter. Or, you can use the signals to go to some other device to make all sorts of converters. Lemony made me an awesome little box that takes Saturn or Neo controllers and hooks into the Wii/Wii U's remote and works as a Classic Controller, which is awesome. On a seperate project I paired the FGW Converter with a Cthulhu to make a box that converts Saturn to damn near everything:

attachment.php

And my favorite part is that you can remap on the fly. This is especially handy on the neo, as the Saturn's button layout isn't well suited for the Neo, but you can change it to suit your taste. I use a different configuration with fighters than I do Metal Slug, for example.

The big catch is that the converter is a bare PCB. You need some skills to put it all together. If you don't feel comfortable messing with these things I'd suggest giving Lemony Vengeance a holla, he's the man when it comes to these kinds of things.

Link to SRK thread:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/145385?threads/f.145385/

Link to purchase:

http://www.godlikecontrols.com/

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
just here to cheer.

And one question: Is it possible to map the buttons in a way that A and B can be pressed separately as well as have one buttons to activate them simultaneously (A+B)? I'm asking because that would be great for the SamSho series (you'd do the same with C and D then obviously)...

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
just here to cheer.

And one question: Is it possible to map the buttons in a way that A and B can be pressed separately as well as have one buttons to activate them simultaneously (A+B)? I'm asking because that would be great for the SamSho series (you'd do the same with C and D then obviously)...

You can but you would have to use diodes.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
The big catch is that the converter is a bare PCB. You need some skills to put it all together. If you don't feel comfortable messing with these things I'd suggest giving Lemony Vengeance a holla, he's the man when it comes to these kinds of things.

Thanks for the mention man :)

I've use this handy board to convert PS/Saturn/SNES into pretty much anything. As GohanX said, combine it with other boards (like the PiWII or the MC Cthulhu) and you can adapt it into anything :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I use it all the time and works great. Only complaint I have about it is the lack of mounting holes.