Bloodborne March 24th: Now I finally need a PS4

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
That's more or less the point.
Except for Demons Souls, your character in these games is NOT a professional soldier, they're some random shmuck.
Also, if you like faster weapons, try daggers and small parrying shields/daggers or twinblades in Dark Souls 2.
They're significantly faster than other weapons.

You can also go for fist type weapons or claws, and in Dark Souls 1 and 2 it's 100% possible to play the entire game barehanded and do flurries of hits.

Also I think it's worth mentioning that they were not going for fluid ninja gaiden combat. I like ninja gaiden, a lot, but I really think they wanted a more realistic approach to using weapons. I think they did well. There is no need to do some ninja backspin slash in a fight. They keep it simple. Slash multiple times while managing stamina, or light light strong and exhaust your stamina. The simplicity is what makes it great.

I for one think the controls are tight.

If you're on 360 I have a level one character at end game I could play with you. And my little brother is on every single day. I also have dark souls on steam and ps3. PC and xbox are the best versions.

I also have demon's souls and plan on beating it again after bloodborne if you want to meet up.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
As far as the load times go, I just read that Fromsoft is going to release a patch to lessen them. Good news indeed.

This game is a little bit easier that Demon's and Dark souls, I can confirm that.

The machinegun miniboss/hunter on top of the tower kicked my ass more than the first two bosses.

The only thing I dont like so far is the mandatory grinding for blood vials/estus flasks.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
As far as the load times go, I just read that Fromsoft is going to release a patch to lessen them. Good news indeed.

This game is a little bit easier that Demon's and Dark souls, I can confirm that.

The machinegun miniboss/hunter on top of the tower kicked my ass more than the first two bosses.

The only thing I dont like so far is the mandatory grinding for blood vials/estus flasks.

Becomes much less of a problem later on. Plus remember you can store up to 100 in your storage which will automatically fill your total whenever you die which is nice

Edit: just note though at certain points in the game they raise the prices of all shop consumables so it never gets overly cheap to buy them

Last edited:

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
My friend preordered this for me as a Bday gift through Amazon. And it didn't ship until launch day. Getting it today. Can't wait. Probably going to lose some sleep tonight...

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
EG, have you played both bayonettas? They sound like your kind of deal, and are amazing games to boot.
What youre describing with combat on demons/dark is what makes it great. Weapons and armor are all taken into account for animation and rely on particular stats in order to feel more fluid. Even the moves and animations will change given what you have equipped. If you approach these games imagining you only wear or use what you need, and build stats around that you will have much more fun.
Want to wield a 2H sword in one hand, better level up strength, want to be a badass with a dagger or fancy sword, level up dexterity for example. If you stick to these principles and commit to a build, its that much more fun on your next playthrough to try something completely different. These are games where you experience solitude, dread, victory, and accomplishment. Finding help and working together to win or being invaded and stalked, its extremely dynammic and anyone who hasnt stuck these games out is missing the best gaming experience in decades.
#Dr Pringles4lyfe

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Also I think it's worth mentioning that they were not going for fluid ninja gaiden combat. I like ninja gaiden, a lot, but I really think they wanted a more realistic approach to using weapons. I think they did well. There is no need to do some ninja backspin slash in a fight. They keep it simple. Slash multiple times while managing stamina, or light light strong and exhaust your stamina. The simplicity is what makes it great.

I for one think the controls are tight.

If you're on 360 I have a level one character at end game I could play with you. And my little brother is on every single day. I also have dark souls on steam and ps3. PC and xbox are the best versions.

I also have demon's souls and plan on beating it again after bloodborne if you want to meet up.

Thanks, I'll look you up on XBL when I'm ready to roll. I can definitely use all the pointers I can get.
EG, have you played both bayonettas? They sound like your kind of deal, and are amazing games to boot.
What youre describing with combat on demons/dark is what makes it great. Weapons and armor are all taken into account for animation and rely on particular stats in order to feel more fluid. Even the moves and animations will change given what you have equipped. If you approach these games imagining you only wear or use what you need, and build stats around that you will have much more fun.
Want to wield a 2H sword in one hand, better level up strength, want to be a badass with a dagger or fancy sword, level up dexterity for example. If you stick to these principles and commit to a build, its that much more fun on your next playthrough to try something completely different. These are games where you experience solitude, dread, victory, and accomplishment. Finding help and working together to win or being invaded and stalked, its extremely dynammic and anyone who hasnt stuck these games out is missing the best gaming experience in decades.
#Dr Pringles4lyfe
Yes, I love both Bayonettas. I'm a big fan of titles like that, I've played and have most of the mainstream titles on the genre but I'm always open to recommends in case I'm missing out on anything. This is probably my favorite genre (dunno what the genre is called to be honest) from the last 2 generations. Ever since I played Ninja Gaiden on XBOX, I'm always eager to play more games like that.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
So does anyone else think this game (concept wise) is starting to look like a Victorian era version of The Evil Within?

PublicEnemy

Cheng's Errand Boy
Since they are moving forward era wise with the games, a Cyberpunk type Souls game could happen

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Since they are moving forward era wise with the games, a Cyberpunk type Souls game could happen

I highly doubt it.
From Software sticks firmly within either the Medieval or Victorian settings for the vast majority of their games, the only exception being the Armored Core series, which is all anime super-robots stuff.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
cyber punk is an awesome style if they don't get cheap with it.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Finally beat Pappa G, the new area seems to be moving a bit faster now that I know how to control the character a little better.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
PappaG can go die in a fire, fucking hate that boss. I finally gave up trying solo and summoned help.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
PappaG can go die in a fire, fucking hate that boss. I finally gave up trying solo and summoned help.

What lvl were you? I was at 20 and for the most part I could handle it...
Spoiler:
except for the second form, I fought his life down to literally a hit away, on at least 5 occasions.

Second area seems to moving faster and pickups are bountiful so far.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
What lvl were you? I was at 20 and for the most part I could handle it...
Spoiler:
except for the second form, I fought his life down to literally a hit away, on at least 5 occasions.

Second area seems to moving faster and pickups are bountiful so far.

Well, first i tried at level 10 not realizing he wasn't the first boss : /

Tried again at 18 but was already agitated from earlier. Co-op made the fight rather trivial but fuck it whatever.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Finished the game this afternoon. Took me approximately 30 hours. Heads up to anyone wanting to explore more, Once you complete the last boss it takes you straight to new game plus. Great game in so many ways. A touch shorter than the other dark/demon souls games but it was still solid. Im going to fire up my new game plus tomorrow and start to get more into pvp and actually see what co-op is like (soloed the game first playthrough). Also check out chalice dungeons more

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I love a game plus run. I wish that the game plus runs would also level up the difficulty to match your power. Ninja Gaiden II failed doing this. The only NG with a game plus run and yet you're back to fighting peons at the beginning.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I hope you do. I commend you for being willing to try. The thing that gets me are the Souls bashers who never played the damn game. Or tried to devil may cry mash button and gave up on the first level cause they sucked.

I was at another members house a few months ago who I won't name.. Cough "terry330 and Jon", and we were talking about dark souls and they were saying it sucks. And I said have you guys even played it? And Jon said that's that game 16-bit said the first levels impossible. And I said how can you bash it if you never even tried it?

I don't think they will be trying it. I love the guys but damn, give a game a shot before bashing it. Put in a few solid hours before you say you don't like a game.

Germy, pls. You can't level up to even fight the regular enemies in the first level...let alone get to the first boss. I gave up after dying 50 times there. Oh, and FYI, we were talking about Demon's Souls, not Dark Souls. I don't know if it's any better or not.

Also, even though I can't stand Demon's Souls, I'll still be keeping my Deluxe Edition.:D

Jon

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Souls series games DO bump up the difficulty with NG+ runs.

Usually, the jump from NG to NG+ is the biggest hurdle, with a general increase of enemy stats by about 50%, and in subsequent NG++s it increases by like 15%.
In Dark Souls 2, some armor, weapons, and spells can only be found after at least 1 NG+ cycle, and the boss fights have different things added to make them harder.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Demon's Souls first boss is SUPER SUPER easy once you know how to fight him.
Just keep all the firebombs and turpentine you find in the level, the boss and his adds are super weak to fire.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Germy, pls. You can't level up to even fight the regular enemies in the first level...let alone get to the first boss. I gave up after dying 50 times there. Oh, and FYI, we were talking about Demon's Souls, not Dark Souls. I don't know if it's any better or not.

Also, even though I can't stand Demon's Souls, I'll still be keeping my Deluxe Edition.:D

Jon

All true Jon! You should give the game a shot, or sell me you're deluxe since you're never going to play it. If you can manage to beat the first level (very easy with fire) then we could Co op through the game.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Damn, that Demon Souls deluxe is still getting like 80 bones on eBay, I'd keep it Jon if I were you. Especially considering its just a OST and mini guide.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Don't summon, summons increase her HP.
Wear the cling ring, because you're gonna get cursed anyway.
Make sure you're under 70% equip burden and learn to dodge.

Also, if you've got more than 30 Strength, get 2 normal clubs, upgrade them to +10, powerstance them, and play a drum solo on her skulls.

Clubs are godlike in Dark Souls 2.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Damn, that Demon Souls deluxe is still getting like 80 bones on eBay, I'd keep it Jon if I were you. Especially considering its just a OST and mini guide.

What's the point in keeping it if you're never going to play it?

Anyway, I'm level 38 if anyone wants to play. I'm on Vicar right now.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
All true Jon! You should give the game a shot, or sell me you're deluxe since you're never going to play it. If you can manage to beat the first level (very easy with fire) then we could Co op through the game.

How do you use fire if you don't have magic?!!

The Deluxe stays on the shelf with Catherine and other PS3 games I suck at...:mad_2:

Jon