Pandora Box 3 Multi-Game 520-1 PCB

Looks like the PB3 has a unique serial to each board that pairs the SD card. Since the number isn't printed anywhere and my card is completely kaput I might be shit outta luck
Told you this was likely to be the case... so I assume you ended up getting it downloaded successfully?

Kiel2040

n00b
Hi guys just got my PB3, but the controllers doesnt work. I can get the thing coined up but the sticks and buttons dont respond. My cab is an old JAMMA standard when I got it, it had a Snow Bros 2 pcb and then I got a MVS1 board with a multi cart and all works fine. Do I need one of those mvs adapters or maybe somthing with my JAMMA wires?

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Hi guys just got my PB3, but the controllers doesnt work. I can get the thing coined up but the sticks and buttons dont respond. My cab is an old JAMMA standard when I got it, it had a Snow Bros 2 pcb and then I got a MVS1 board with a multi cart and all works fine. Do I need one of those mvs adapters or maybe somthing with my JAMMA wires?

The answer you are looking for is somewhere in the first 31 pages of this thread.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Lol.

Short version: it's probably the grounds in your harness.

Kiel2040

n00b
like you said it was the ground wires, haz to daisy chain 27 with F and 28, now all works fine!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Good job figuring it out with my weak ass hint. :D

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I have the ground issue on one of my cabs...the one I wanted to use it in of course.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Use an adapter or rewire it. I think you can rewire no problem dude.

I'll either rewire or add one to the gun I ordered.

I'm working on my Dynamo when I have free time. It's not a big deal, just the way my lucks been lately. :lolz:

Redguard

New Challenger
You guys should check out forum member lantus360's video review of the Pandora's Box 4:

This video alone has convinced me that a MAME PC is the way to go. A cheap used PC or cheap refurbished one fron newegg or Walmart will do a better job than the PB3 or PB4.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Do you have an original PB3? Do you have a Jamma MAME rig? If you don't then you don't know what you're talking about. I have both, so for ease of use the PB3 is awesome, I can swap back and forth with any PCBs and the PB3 like it's just another PCB. Jamma MAME it's a rig, lots of stuff going on, wires, left and right, hardware left and right. If you don't want to spend under a 100 dollars for a convenient tool like this I understand, I also get that a MAME Jamma rig is awesome, but damn I feel the PB3 is just so convenient. Now if you have nothing for PCBs and you're looking at the PB3 as your only vial to play games in a Jamma cab then you're better off with a MAME Jamma rig, I mean you can't expect a little investment to be the end all be all device.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
That youtube review lantus330 did was confusing. At times it seemed he was reviewing the emulation, at other times it seemed he just didn't like the games? For example, the sound effects in Golden Axe have always been that loud.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
That youtube review lantus330 did was confusing. At times it seemed he was reviewing the emulation, at other times it seemed he just didn't like the games? For example, the sound effects in Golden Axe have always been that loud.

Nah the sound effects for Golden Axe are definitely way louder on the PB3 than they should be.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nah the sound effects for Golden Axe are definitely way louder on the PB3 than they should be.

I own a legit board, they are the screaming volume that they should be.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
BTW, the JNX PB3 jamma adapter is all sorts of awesome!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, it's built much better than the actual PB3!

mikemann

Quiz Detective
So not sure if I should start a new thread or not regarding this, but since I originally posted here with feedback...I'll continue.

A month or so ago, I ordered the King of Air vertical PCB and was told by the seller it did in fact support CGA. When it arrived it did not. I was then told that it was an error and a CGA was coming, they would exchange it. Well it arrived today and I am really quite impressed. I played for about 30 minutes real quick today and here's what I found -

PROS

- No adapter was needed to make this work, no ground issues...worked directly off my JAMMA harness.
- The boot sequence is short and to the point. Not nearly as obnoxious as the PB4
- The menu is actually very pleasing IMO. It's a short game list which is nice and it looks good.
- FREEPLAY actually works properly! Shocking I know. It even works correctly on the few games I tried with continues as well.
- Autofire is an option. Although it does not play well with CAVE games that have a secondary shot that is activated by holding the button down like - DP, DDP or Guwange
- Setup button can be depressed at any time and be loaded. Not just at bootup like other multiboards. Very nice to see finally (Most of the settings out of the box you will want to change (ie - freeplay, exit to menu, autofire, game select mode)
- If you change the settings to menu for exit, when you hold down P1 start it will actually pause the game and give you a choice to exit or return to the game. Another nice feature.
- I did not test removing all the games and having it boot to a single game, not sure if it's possible? But you can configure it to remain in the game after your credit is over and not return to the main menu. I think that is an important feature.
- PSYKIO games like Strikers and Gunbird seem to play really well.

CONS

- Volume levels still vary and are a little all over the place.
- About half the games have some noticeable scaling. It seems to be more obvious and present in the games that allow the screen to scroll horizontally as well as vertically. Sadly most of the CAVE games I tried you can see it.
- One of the games I was most excited about - Thunder Dragon 2 seems to play great but is missing all the speech sounds and possibly more. :(

Honestly all in all, with the prices of vertical SHMUPS this seems like a steal of a board. Some of these titles I feel like I will never have the opportunity to own. I'm really impressed. I obviously need to spend more time with it. But first impression is it's the best chinese multiboard I've ever tried. I've had the PB2, PB4, Blue Elf 619 and 412 and 60 in 1

I own several of these titles including DonPachi, I can tell it's not 100% by any means but I'd say for the $100 cost it's definitely worth it. :)

Last edited:

mikemann

Quiz Detective
Some screenshots, ignore the cutoff at the bottom, I just did not bother to adjust the screen...lazy

Attachments

• IMG_2370.JPG
    IMG_2370.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2371.JPG
    IMG_2371.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

mikemann

Quiz Detective
And just for fun, comparison shot King of Air on the left, DP on the right.

Same cab, monitor, no adjustment made to the King of Air afterwards

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 119

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Thanks for all the great info Mikemann. Do you have a link to the correct king of air that should be purchased that works with CGA?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Does it have Daioh? If it does, is it the 6 button version?