Pandora Box 3 Multi-Game 520-1 PCB

mikemann

Quiz Detective
Does it have Daioh? If it does, is it the 6 button version?

It does have Daioh. But I don't believe it's the 6 button version. I'll test tonight for you. The manual only shows supporting 4 buttons and since it doesn't present the ground issue that the Blue Elf/Pandora Box boards does I'm guessing it doesn't.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
My Pandora 3 should get here in the next few days, just to make sure I should be able to plug this straight into my Vogatek without any adapter right?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
My Pandora 3 should get here in the next few days, just to make sure I should be able to plug this straight into my Vogatek without any adapter right?

I'm not sure on how he did the supergun grounds, it could work no problem. You won't have button 6 most likely since that's usually a ground. You can easily mod your supergun.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
I'm not sure on how he did the supergun grounds, it could work no problem. You won't have button 6 most likely since that's usually a ground. You can easily mod your supergun.

Yeh I knew I wouldn't have a 6 button, I'm using a neo stick anyway but I've seen mixed reports on whether they work straight out with a supergun or not.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It works fine with mine plugged straight in with the exception of button 6, but you probably won't know for sure until you try.

mikemann

Quiz Detective
So a little more follow-up to the King of Air board. I had more time tonight and tried every game real quick. Some additional feedback -

- Daioh is definitely not a 6 button setup. Only 4 buttons are recognized by the board.

- No High Score Save (not a surprise, many of these games didn't have, none of the multiboards do it...)

- The CPS2 left hand cutoff is present on this board. You can see it ever so slightly on Dimahoo. I don't think it's very bothersome though, not like it was on the horizontal PB3

- The Toaplan games seem to be the biggest offenders on volume. They are waaay louder than most of the other games.

- I didn't notice this yesterday but really picked up on it trying each and every game, but sound bite - female announcer from KoF '96 saying "READY? GO!" is played on each game launch.

- I also discovered that five of the games on the list will not launch, no matter what settings I choose. They are : Thunder Dragon, Twin Hawk, Final Star Force, Explosive Breaker and Super-X

I've got another message into the seller to see what they say about this. Honestly those aren't deal breakers in my book, there is still 45 other games here and despite all the flaws, I still think it was worth the $100.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
So a little more follow-up to the King of Air board. I had more time tonight and tried every game real quick. Some additional feedback -

- Daioh is definitely not a 6 button setup. Only 4 buttons are recognized by the board.

- No High Score Save (not a surprise, many of these games didn't have, none of the multiboards do it...)

- The CPS2 left hand cutoff is present on this board. You can see it ever so slightly on Dimahoo. I don't think it's very bothersome though, not like it was on the horizontal PB3

- The Toaplan games seem to be the biggest offenders on volume. They are waaay louder than most of the other games.

- I didn't notice this yesterday but really picked up on it trying each and every game, but sound bite - female announcer from KoF '96 saying "READY? GO!" is played on each game launch.

- I also discovered that five of the games on the list will not launch, no matter what settings I choose. They are : Thunder Dragon, Twin Hawk, Final Star Force, Explosive Breaker and Super-X

I've got another message into the seller to see what they say about this. Honestly those aren't deal breakers in my book, there is still 45 other games here and despite all the flaws, I still think it was worth the $100.

Think i may pick one up after the holidays. Thanks again for the info

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Got mine in today. Plugged it in and I'm just getting jumbled picture, the sound works fine but the image is messed up. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.TGk2ksqh.jpg

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Tested and working on my crt ( although it has a slight look like you're underwater for lack of a better way of describing it), just can't get it to work on my pvm.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can try desoldering the pin and then lifting it. Make sure you do both sides.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I can't believe you guys are still buying these pieces of shit.

Y'all must be playing the games on them with your beer goggles on.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor

I played for a few hours last night on some of the titles I can't afford which was an OK experience but after a while all I could think was "shit I could've bought a couple mvs carts with this money". Also it still won't work with the pvm, pretty bummed on it in general.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

You got the bootleg of his bootleg. The one you had is just a blue elf in disguise. This plays cps2 stuff perfect and is way cheaper then a multi board. I still dunno why people buy these to use on SGs, but on a cab it's a cheap and serviceable replacement.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Actually, now that I look at the picture, it looks like you might have the VGA only version because that's what it looks like on the PB4 if it's outputting VGA and you try to view it on CGA. Since the normal PB3 can display both at the same time it makes me think you have the HD(VGA only) version or EXT Sync is off.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Actually, now that I look at the picture, it looks like you might have the VGA only version because that's what it looks like on the PB4 if it's outputting VGA and you try to view it on CGA. Since the normal PB3 can display both at the same time it makes me think you have the HD(VGA only) version or EXT Sync is off.

That makes since, it looks like other ext off stuff and vga works fine. That blows since it was not sold as such. I would return it but it wouldn't be worth it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
And just for fun, comparison shot King of Air on the left, DP on the right.

Same cab, monitor, no adjustment made to the King of Air afterwards

Thanks for the post, it is blurry or is it producing 240p? Hard to tell but it looks promising!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Spend thousands on getting 500 PCBs.

Or get it all done in one shot.

Who's stupid now?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Who's stupid now?

That would be you.

Dude, depending on which revision of this hardware you may get acceptable performance or you could get shit framerates and poor audio.

This ain't no high end Mame box. Hell, I would go as far as to say that a modded XBox generally delivers better performance.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
That would be you.

Dude, depending on which revision of this hardware you may get acceptable performance or you could get shit framerates and poor audio.

This ain't no high end Mame box. Hell, I would go as far as to say that a modded XBox generally delivers better performance.

I admit that I do get this dirty feeling when playing games on the PB3 or PB4 (whatever) but I still think it's worth the money. It's painfully evident most of the time that you're not getting the best gaming experience with these shit boxes but good times can still be had regardless. A good enough portion of the games are very playable IMO to warrant the cost.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I admit that I do get this dirty feeling when playing games on the PB3 or PB4 (whatever) but I still think it's worth the money. It's painfully evident most of the time that you're not getting the best gaming experience with these shit boxes but good times can still be had regardless. A good enough portion of the games are very playable IMO to warrant the cost.

I'm not saying that aren't worth the cost or anything. But people should keep their expectations in check. I don't think anyone is gonna start selling off their PCB collection because they got a "sweet deal" on a Pandora's Box board. I suppose even if just a couple games are good then it's worth the money.

What pisses me off the most is the bootlegging of an already questionable device. Seems like there are multiple versions of these things floating around and unless you buy from the exact same seller, you have no idea what you may be getting. And even then it's a crap shoot.