Darksoft's Next Project

Which Multi kit would you like to see next?

• Taito F3 Multi

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Neo Geo Multi

Votes: 79 73.8%
  • System 246 Multi

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
I don't believe this, Neogeo is winning????.... JK, of course it is, this is NG forums after all..oh well, I wonder if those who voted are aware of those chinese multi carts, or MVS /AES converters... seriously, F3 should be winning, system 246? who owns one of those anyways.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I wonder if those who voted are aware of those chinese multi carts, or MVS /AES converters...
Those Chinese multi-carts are the reason a lot of us voted Neo Geo.

I own the 161-in-1 and would ditch it in a heart beat for something that would let me load quality roms. And what do mvs/aes converters have to do with anything?

Last edited:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I am surprised the Neo is not winning by more. This pool is too polluted by other genre nerds. Gotta get a quality everdrive-esque cart here for the tried and true Neo.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
*this isn't a knock...I have no idea the skills involved in what darksoft does*

My "wish" with these items is that they were full-blown products. Not just the meat, but also the dressing. Meaning - I don't want to repurpose an F3 or MVS shell all beat up w/o a label, etc. For me (and others?) part of the whole experience is the whole package, the feel, the visual, of the product. It's a reason I don't have interest in the CPS3 or CPS2 - I want the whole package and I know i'll pay the premium for something that is clearly new, never used, original creation. I fully understand the fabricating of a new shell, labels, artwork, kit boxes, etc is a ton of extra work, but I just think it's worth it. Without, all the extra aesthetics - it only feels half done. The programming work is obviously the hardest and most important part - I get that, but here we are pondering which he should code next with all these options - it seems like they'll all eventually be done, but wouldn't it be cool if it was just one at a time, completely dedicated to it, full-on new everything - pcb's, chips, shells, pin connectors, labels, artwork - etc.

/odd rant

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
And what do mvs/aes converters have to do with anything?

It has to do that converters let you play MVS games on the AES, and, unlike first world countries where MVS games are going up in price for the last few years, here in this banana republics from the south part of the globe, mvs carts still can be had for pennies, hence I don't need chinese multi carts nor everdrives to get my Neoegeo fix.

Last edited:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
It has to do that converters let you play MVS games on the AES, and, unlike first world countries where MVS games are going up in price for the last few years, here in this banana republics from the south part of the globe, mvs carts still can be had for pennies, hence I don't need chinese multi carts nor everdrives to get my Neoegeo fix.

I'll send you a ducket and you can send me some motw and pulstars... Keep the change

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Garou, got it about 2 weeks ago, for 600 uruguayan pesos= $23 USD , about Pulstar, never seen it for sale here, but if by any chance I come across a copy, I can assure you that it will be very cheap, off course that if I decide to sell afterwards, I will flip it for 5 times that price.:D.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
*this isn't a knock...I have no idea the skills involved in what darksoft does*

My "wish" with these items is that they were full-blown products. Not just the meat, but also the dressing. Meaning - I don't want to repurpose an F3 or MVS shell all beat up w/o a label, etc. For me (and others?) part of the whole experience is the whole package, the feel, the visual, of the product. It's a reason I don't have interest in the CPS3 or CPS2 - I want the whole package and I know i'll pay the premium for something that is clearly new, never used, original creation. I fully understand the fabricating of a new shell, labels, artwork, kit boxes, etc is a ton of extra work, but I just think it's worth it. Without, all the extra aesthetics - it only feels half done. The programming work is obviously the hardest and most important part - I get that, but here we are pondering which he should code next with all these options - it seems like they'll all eventually be done, but wouldn't it be cool if it was just one at a time, completely dedicated to it, full-on new everything - pcb's, chips, shells, pin connectors, labels, artwork - etc.

/odd rant

I doubt you're the only one that feels this way. I know I pay extra for my other flash carts, they come pre labeled, cases with instructions, stickers, the works. There's always people which will deem it a waste and those who don't. What it comes down to is a separation of concerns. If you look at how Krikzz does his Everdrives, he just deals with the boards. It's up to the vendors to find solutions to the complete package problem if they wish, or they can sell them as board only. What I suspect is that darksoft probably would rather not worry himself on that side of the action and just keep focused on the technical details. There really isn't a storefront for darksoft's solutions, and with the labor intensive work of hand soldering and testing the boards along with developing them, expecting a consistent stock is probably not likely either. The best possibility I see would have someone else offering the "frills" and even then, the cost of providing that service isn't likely worth it for the one trying to fulfill and coordinate it.

Though IIRC there was the late kickstarter for Omega MVS shells...would that have taken off and/or be flexible to a neo geo multi board design, things might be different for that specific device.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Garou, got it about 2 weeks ago, for 600 uruguayan pesos= $23 USD , about Pulstar, never seen it for sale here, but if by any chance I come across a copy, I can assure you that it will be very cheap, off course that if I decide to sell afterwards, I will flip it for 5 times that price.:D.

And I thought I got Garous at a decent price...I got them at about $110 - $120 each. I have never seen a Pulstar or Andro Dunos around here either, I believe spaceship games were not that popular in the arcades here back in the day, only fighting games. You can get the whole KoF collection pretty easily, same for Samurai Shodown collection (sans V and VS), art of fighting, fatal furies, all are common around here. Funnily enough, Aero fighters is damn expensive here. You can buy one on Ebay, import it, flip it at around twice the price you paid for it (including import taxes) and that would be fair price. Go figure.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug

Jeeeeezz... Makes me wish I knew my Brazilian in-laws better considering they visit once a year or so.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Even in your BS fairy land where mvs carts are $20 each, a multicart for $300 would be a bargain.

Also, you're a fucking liar.

fluxcore

Another Striker
While I love the CPS1, the biggest concern for CPS1 is to come up with a viable replacement for the two big custom PPUs which are NOTORIOUS for failing. Every board will die to those bloody things soon enough. CPS2 is probably going to go down those tracks as well... I think this is a much bigger issue than having a multicart (games are pretty easy to convert anyway, and maybe some can work on the cps2 multi given time).

Anyway, to address the OP... Neo Geo multi please. Something that works on AES as well as MVS would be amazing (although I'd be worried it may look like quite an abortion). If it was to be double ended, maybe end caps could make it look alright.

Last edited:

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
While I love the CPS1, the biggest concern for CPS1 is to come up with a viable replacement for the two big custom PPUs which are NOTORIOUS for failing. Every board will die to those bloody things soon enough. CPS2 is probably going to go down those tracks as well... I think this is a much bigger issue than having a multicart (games are pretty easy to convert anyway, and maybe some can work on the cps2 multi given time).

There may be hope on that front http://arcadehacker.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/capcom-cps1-annoucement.html.

Out of the choice above, I'd place them AES/MVS multicart, Taito F3 then Namco 246 multi.

The F3 is a really under appreciated little hardware platform. Has some really good games on like Elevator Action Returns, Gekirindan, Darius Gaiden...and some others which were PCB only releases.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If a Neo multi cart is made, how many units will it be limited to? If it's a large run and too affordable it could ruin the market for the Neo especially if it's AES/MVS compatible. That's just me though.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
and mame ragex killed neogeo also....NO didnt happen

no matter if there is a multicart there will always be those wanting originals. it wont kill the market.

flash carts didnt kill the nintendo hand helds, the cp2 multicart didnt kill cp2.

Last edited:

darksoft

DO NOT ASK ROT, FOR ACCOUNT DELETION, WHEN HE'S ON
Can't say I'm surprised Neo Geo multi is the prevailing vote...I still voted for Taito F3 however as I feel the market for them is much harder to find. Unless you include AES...

Imagine a NEOGEO Multi with AES Support....

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
AES/MVS multicart. No way i will go for those banana carts, but i will say yes to a quality multicart without stupid boots.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
If a Neo multi cart is made, how many units will it be limited to? If it's a large run and too affordable it could ruin the market for the Neo especially if it's AES/MVS compatible. That's just me though.
Everdrives have been extremely affordable and easily obtained for years now, and prices continue to rise. SNES and PCE prices are at all time highs even. This is because most people who have Everdrives still collect for those systems. The main reasons I have Everdrives (4 to date) is to run homebrew and to save wear and tear on carts and consoles.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm okay with this, although I doubt it would have any effect on price.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member

Stupid bitch... Ban plz.

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
I would be totally down with a Neo flash cart, but no interested in a multi no matter what the quality.

As for it hurting values, Stadium Events brings in $8,000+ these days. We've had powerpacks and Everdrive for the NES for years now, and the prices are continuing to climb to an all time high.

sparksterz

Camel Slug

Yeah, that's always an argument I see, but I've never seen it happen. If anything it drives more people to explore the library and decide which games they want to collect, hopefully reduces the need market for conversions and may "sanitize" prices rather than kill the collecting market.