Whats the consensus on Neo Dev games?

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Im curious on peoples opinion on some of these aftermarket games. They seem to go for big money and seem to be quite difficult to get straight from Neo dev tem, especially AES versions. Has anybody picked any of these up?

Caplet

Cheng's Errand Boy
I don't have the proper Neo Geo versions of any of their games, but I own Last Hope: Pink Bullets, Fast Striker, and Neo XYX on the Dreamcast. They're all competent games, especially the latter, which nails the old Toaplan vibe perfectly. I've thought about selling a bunch of my Saturn/PS2 shooters in order to snag a Neo XYX AES cart, I like it so much.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Neo XYX and Gunlord are the best games they've made, hands down excellent games. The others, well I dunno, I wasn't a fan of Fast Stirker and I think Last Hope is OK but not a must play. DUX and the sequels are so subpar.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I haven't played one that I truly don't like. They can be impressive visually at times, but theyt all have a common detractor that my friends and I agree on: They definitely feel homebrew. There's something unpolished about them and they feel hastily slapped together and unfinished sometimes. Some of them have very little sound effects and the music is all Eurobeat, so I hope you like that. You'll be hearing a lot of it. They have this distinct ('Euro'?) feel to them that feels like an Amiga game. It's hard to describe, but you'll notice when you play them. In contrasts sharply with other games on the system. That my be a good or bad thing, depending on your tastes. Some of the Neo Dev games make a lot of use of the "video" effects similar to what you see in Blazing Star. They look impressive, but they're just video. I have a particular gripe about Neo XY---you can play it in vertical mode, but it only displays in one direction and there's no screen flip option. It's upside down on my Astro City, and I'd have to rotate the monitor to play it (which I'm not going to do) and that's fucking bullshit. They should have thought about this. Pretty much every JAMMA board has a screen flip option. Major oversight.

On the other hand, even though it's basically video poker, Knight's Chance feels much more complete and blends in with the rest of the Neo library well. It's a pretty strong effort. I wish that guy would make some more games...

So in short, I think they're neat, but think hard before buying one. You're paying $500 for what is essentially an Amiga game.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I love Turrican and I can tell you that Manfred Trenz wishes the Amiga could do the things Gunlord does on the Neo/DC. They do not feel like Amiga games at all. My problem with NG DEV is that they still have a hard time dealing with gravity/movement, sans Gunlord, that game moves flawless. The only MVS game I would consider getting is Gunlord, everything else just go with DC, no reason to spend the money on a cart when you can pay a fraction of the cost to try it out and then if you like it get the cart.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I love Turrican and I can tell you that Manfred Trenz wishes the Amiga could do the things Gunlord does on the Neo/DC. They do not feel like Amiga games at all. My problem with NG DEV is that they still have a hard time dealing with gravity/movement, sans Gunlord, that game moves flawless. The only MVS game I would consider getting is Gunlord, everything else just go with DC, no reason to spend the money on a cart when you can pay a fraction of the cost to try it out and then if you like it get the cart.

To me, they feel like pretty amiga games. Other people on these forums have said that as well.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Im curious on peoples opinion on some of these aftermarket games. They seem to go for big money and seem to be quite difficult to get straight from Neo dev tem, especially AES versions. Has anybody picked any of these up?

Are you looking to make an investment?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Nice games but too expensive for me on cart. I bought the DC version of Last Hope and played some other games, they're cool and all but not hundreds-of-bucks cool.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Nice games but too expensive for me on cart. I bought the DC version of Last Hope and played some other games, they're cool and all but not hundreds-of-bucks cool.

Well, sadly the entire market for gaming on Cart platforms is "hundreds of bucks cool" these days, and there is no getting around that fact. Just try getting a complete SNES game like R-ype III The Third Lightning or he MegaMan series or even Aero Fighters on SNES in great condition in the box with the inserts and shit. It's "hundreds of bucks cool" just for he god damn BOX in most cases on ebay. This is just the way of cart systems now and it's becoming more and more of an increasingly expensive hobby. Pretty soon, all cart games will be "thousands of bucks cool", or you'll all be playing the fucking roms instead. My humble advice is, get them now while they are only "hundred of bucks cool", before your forced into paying the "thousands of bucks cool" in the coming few years. This is just my observation of the cart market on the whole. It's getting insane, but if you want zero loading times, and the old nostalgic feel of what the cart consoles gave us, you have to pay the price, or go the way of the feeling of bad ports with bad loading time on top of it, OR even worse, Emulation and Roms, which I cannot stand.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Well, sadly the entire market for gaming on Cart platforms is "hundreds of bucks cool" these days, and there is no getting around that fact. Just try getting a complete SNES game like R-ype III The Third Lightning or he MegaMan series or even Aero Fighters on SNES in great condition in the box with the inserts and shit. It's "hundreds of bucks cool" just for he god damn BOX in most cases on ebay. This is just the way of cart systems now and it's becoming more and more of an increasingly expensive hobby. Pretty soon, all cart games will be "thousands of bucks cool", or you'll all be playing the fucking roms instead. My humble advice is, get them now while they are only "hundred of bucks cool", before your forced into paying the "thousands of bucks cool" in the coming few years. This is just my observation of the cart market on the whole. It's getting insane, but if you want zero loading times, and the old nostalgic feel of what the cart consoles gave us, you have to pay the price, or go the way of the feeling of bad ports with bad loading time on top of it, OR even worse, Emulation and Roms, which I cannot stand.

Very good point. That's why I jumped on fast striker when they reissued it, wood cart and all.

Its a shame about the snes market. Any world where bebes kids is worth more than $2 is one I don't want to live in.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

I can't justify spending hundreds of bucks on an official game these days, let alone a homebrew. The games also ain't too hot anyways and I'm not a collector with a pathological urge to own them all so I'm happy with my pedestrian ports of some NGDEV titles. It's all about the gameplay experience, not the format the games come on.

Just be a man and say no to inflated prices and collector madness.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The only reason I'm considering Gunlord is 'cause I can play it on my Cabs if I get the MVS cart. Buying the home cart makes absolutely no sense to me having the dreamcast copy. If there wasn't a dreamcast copy I would considered it though, simply 'cause Gunlord is truly that good.

I think there's plenty of potential in this people, they are doing good work, obviously there's room for improvement but I can see a future of good games if they stick around for a while.

Imagine if people would start developing for the NES again and make some sick games for hundreds of cool dollars, would you jump in? Or do you buy the game simply 'cause is on neo?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
try the DC ports, if you like them, buy a cart. Gunlord ftw...

for all the collecting nonsense: nice if you have the money.

P.S.: consensus? nub plz...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Imagine if people would start developing for the NES again and make some sick games for hundreds of cool dollars, would you jump in? Or do you buy the game simply 'cause is on neo?

That's the thing - the collectors would, no matter whether the games are actually good or not. This and the "retro" thing is why prices become more and more inflated.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I agree, I'm not a fan of this "retro" thing. I'm gonna bump the retro-douchebags thread 'cause is all I can do about this bullshit.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've never been a fan of homebrew, let the damn system die already. Also the pricing is absolutely insane.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
That's the thing - the collectors would, no matter whether the games are actually good or not. This and the "retro" thing is why prices become more and more inflated.

I think somebody IS making a new NES game from what I saw at MGC. I can't remember what it was called but it was a Castlequest-style puzzle/action game. It wasn't pretty, but actually kinda fun.

I couldn't really tell based on the display whether it was a ROM or a cart because it was running on a Retron 5, which is essentially an emulator that takes carts.

Anyway, we'll see how much the OCD hoarders will pay for that one.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I consider them homebrew developers - they all hype up their releases, then they go over like a weak fart.

I remember everyone saying that Dux was going to be this great game that was going to usher in a new era for the DC, even tho that system was long dead. That game is nothing more that a shitty R-Type clone. Last Hope (the first NG Dev game I played) didn't do much to sway my opinion of them or their games. Fast Striker bored me.

Flash forward to the Gunlord release: My first impressions were that it was a great Turrican clone, and one of their better-made games, but its just that - a clone. I don't feel that there was anything original in that game. The music was really good, tho.

Sadly, that's the case with homebrew games - not a lot of originality. That's great if you're going to make a shooter, but make an ORIGINAL one - don't rip off a game that others have already drunk from the well of, like R-type.

Homebrews are great when they flesh out a genre that's not represented that much on a console. Knight's Chance is a prefect example - tho not a game I would play personally, its great that within the finite library of the Neo theres a choice OTHER than fighters, shooters, or run and guns, and it LOOKS like a game that would come out on the Neo.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I have Gunlord & Last Hope PB homecarts. I think these two games are really sweet. Especially GL its just a well made game like it as much if not more than any Turrican game I have played. These other releases were just not my cup of tea. Last Hope PB is a lot of fun as well. Gotta give it some slack because it was their first game, well the PB wasn't just a better updated version of the first.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's refreshing to see someone who paid for those games that had actually played them. It seems most of the time when we see the carts sold they are still brand new.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
New game on Neo Geo = Guaranteed noteriety.

Their neon playdough amiga games would get lost in the sea of mediocrity (where they belong) if released solely by other means.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
New game on Neo Geo = Guaranteed noteriety.

Their neon playdough amiga games would get lost in the sea of mediocrity (where they belong) if released solely by other means.

Yeah seriously, if these games were released solely on Steam... would anyone care nearly as much? Good for them for being competent in making games, but they are just 'okay,' IMO.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
It's refreshing to see someone who paid for those games that had actually played them. It seems most of the time when we see the carts sold they are still brand new.

Hell yeah man, I play everyone of my games and a lot. I don't give two shits about insertion marks all my games have plenty of them on the carts. :-J The fact that people complain about that is just silly imo.

Last edited: