Recommended soldering iron.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Hi guys,

I'm just about to start getting into soldering. The main thing I will be doing is working on modding consoles, building cmvs / repairing cabs...etc

I'm going to be going on an electronics course. But for now I'm going to be practicing my soldering. What would be a half decent solder station to begin with? I don't have any experience in this area.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,Rich.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
+1 for Weller. I've got a Weller similar to the one linked, but it doesn't have digital temp display, just a knob. Temp control is a must have.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
here go the hakko vs weller wars.... AGAIN.

Can't go wrong with both .. just buy the one on sale with best price atm.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Cheers guys, is there anything else I will need aswell as the solder station to get me started?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Best pick up one of those 3rd hands too...
Any suggestions beyond the tried and tested version?

Those things are shit.

What you want is this:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11784

11784-01.jpg

I bought mine over 2 years ago and have literally assembled hundreds of rgb cables and pcbs with it. It's fantastic and due to it's design, it allows you to get creative with how you use it and you can even add on a couple more arms to it to allow for usage flexibility. Highly, highly recommended.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Weller and Hakko. Both great.

I have a weller digital soldering station and it's amazing.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Forgot to mention:

Avoid lead-free solder. It's utter garbage. Unless you plan to work on modern, lead free consoles and such, don't buy it. It takes more heat to melt, it doesn't flow nearly as well as leaded solder and doesn't bond as well to things already soldered with leaded solder (like all your 80's and 90's stuff). And for someone new to soldering, lead free will be nothing but a headache.

Due to ROHS compliance I know it can be difficult to source in the EU, but if you can get your hands on good leaded solder like rosin cored Kester 60/40 or 63/37 (tin to lead ratio) you will be much better off. I would suggest .5mm or .7mm diameter solder depending on what you are doing. If you ever work on smaller components, especially SMD (surface mount), you will want to use the smallest diameter solder you can find. And if you plan to working on lots of stuff in the future, don't fuck around with the smaller packages of solder. They will cost you and arm and a leg over time. Buy the 1lb spools of the good stuff. A 1lb spool will last you for years of heavy duty soldering.

Last edited:

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Do those Weller soldering stations can be set to work on 220v? I believe all of those links posted are for 110v units while the OP is from England which uses 230v. current as the rest of Europe;

using a step down transformer with resistance based stuff is not recommended.. for both the step down transformer and the electric wiring in your home.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
I third the Hakko. The is what I bought a few months ago. I also bought the hakko FR300 desoldering gun.
I fourth the Hakko. I've used it before and it's pretty sweet how you got a little spot to clean your tip up as well.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Also how do you know what temperature you should set the soldering station at, is there an average temp or does it all depend on what your doing?

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Yeh, I will get a new one. I was thinking of getting a second hand one just to practice with as I've never done any soldering and don't want to ruin a new one.