Which KOF's are worth checking out?

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
After reading this thread: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?1061-Best-King-of-Fighter/page4

It seems like 98 is one?

I have KOF 13 for 360, I like it so far. Which of the older ones should I check out next?

Considering I'm just checking them out, its probably going to be Wii VC since the cost of entry is low. (If I like the game, I'll put it on my Neo-Cart Wish List...)

Would it have been better for me to necro that thread?

Thanks.

BodyHammeR

I quoted Rot., He Went in DRY!
I would start with 98 and go from there if you feel the need for more (:

kingau

Kuroko's Training Dummy
by far KOF 98 is the best and well balanced, after that is KOF 2002.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
98 is awesome. Although I prefer Dream Match 99 on DC. 95 has a special place because I played the shit outta it on Neo CD.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Just load them up in an emulator and try them all out for a little while.

Every single one has something fun and unique to offer.

94 because it's the first.
95 for the bgs.
96 for the boss team.
97 for orochi stuff.
98 for ex terry, sports team, and polish.
99 for awesome bgs, my favorite athena, and weird terry movelist.
2000 for being the last snk kof.
2001 for crazy striker gameplay.
2002 for gameplay system.
2003 for tag teams.
11 for more crazy tags and tung fu rue.
12 for counter hit craziness and sweet new sprites.
13 for being amazing.
14 will suck.

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
The Wii does have '94 to '98 in a collection, amazon has it fairly cheap.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Although most are worth at least some of your time, 99 has to be one of my favourites simple for the BG art alone, but you can't beat 98 if you're playing with someone.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Aside from the Neo-Cart or the DC port. Is it better to get the Orochi Wii collection, the VC version, or the XBLA '98 remake?

BodyHammeR

I quoted Rot., He Went in DRY!
Aside from the Neo-Cart or the DC port. Is it better to get the Orochi Wii collection, the VC version, or the XBLA '98 remake?

I only have experience with the AES cart (owned) and the MVS arcade version (back when arcades were still a thing)... no experience with any of the so-called modern ports...

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
I only have experience with the AES cart (owned) and the MVS arcade version (back when arcades were still a thing)... no experience with any of the so-called modern ports...

Ditto on that. My best guess is to go for the XBLA port because historically, Microsoft's ports of Neo, Saturn and Dreamcast titles have been spot on.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Personally, I could live happily with just KoF2k2.

'95 for broken fun
'98 for people to play against (I don't see that much in it though tbh)
2k2, my favourite for an extensive system with lots of options, and I like the cast.
11 for a completely different take on KoF with tagging in/out shenanigans. Fun game.
13 for arguably the best 2d sprites ever, and good enough gameplay I guess. Not a huge fan, but compares very favourably to the other FGs released these days at least.

I haven't really dabbled in the UM versions.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Personal favourites:

96 - Awesome music, the first KOF with the signature gameplay the series is known for. Not a bad character lineup either.
97 - Awesome presentation (made like a TV show), Amazing new characters (New Face and Special Teams) and the additional of the Advanced mode.
98 - A refinement of KOF96 and 97 into a complete package. Most balanced title.
2000 - My favorite KOF title with Strikers. Best presentation and lineup.
XI - Great title too, and the new characters like Oswald, Elizabeth are great additions too.

Didn't like 2K1 and 2K2, due to the horrible art and music quality. That said, 2K2's gameplay is said to be very good.

jtucci31

n00b
Just load them up in an emulator and try them all out for a little while.

Every single one has something fun and unique to offer.

94 because it's the first.
95 for the bgs.
96 for the boss team.
97 for orochi stuff.
98 for ex terry, sports team, and polish.
99 for awesome bgs, my favorite athena, and weird terry movelist.
2000 for being the last snk kof.
2001 for crazy striker gameplay.
2002 for gameplay system.
2003 for tag teams.
11 for more crazy tags and tung fu rue.
12 for counter hit craziness and sweet new sprites.
13 for being amazing.
14 will suck.

Cool list, thanks! I have 96 on the way from JP and figured I'd be good for awhile, but I may be looking at others for some fun comparison/variety in my KOF gaming.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
'95 for broken fun

what's exactly broken about 95?.aged and plays rough doesn't mean it's broken. in that logic,games such as fatal fury 1,2,special and samurai showdown 1 are all broken.

kof 95 does play rough in comparison to the later titles.but it's a all round solid fighter that's comparable to the first street fighter alpha.

kof 95 > 99 > 01

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
They're all worth checking out, but few are worth owning. '94 though '98 and 2K3 for me.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
you can't go wrong with any of the king of fighters games.even the worst ones are better then most fighters out there.you should play them all and see which one you like the most.

like most have already said. kof 98 is the most balanced in the entire franchise.move set,roster,stage back grounds and soundtrack are top notch.most kof games excel in one department but lack in the other.where as kof 98 has it all.

my personal favourite has to be kof 97.it's basically the same as 98 but has it's own charm,and the game with the smoothest controls out of the entire franchise.

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
'96 is my favorite. The music is awesome and it was a great improvement from 95.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Get '98UM and '02UM on XBL.'98 is the end of the Orochi Saga and '02 is the end of the Nests saga. If you like one title over the other then maybe check out the other titles in the saga to get more story or whatever.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It really depends on who you love to play. If you are a Terry fan, KOF96 hands down. Best moveset.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
I always loved the style of 96-98.

It was very Japanese in design without pandering to the usual Otaku tropes which is prevalent in fighting games today.

Even the music during that era was amazing. Arashi no Saxaphone 2 (OST) is still my favourite KOF track.