Best Nintendo Console

Best Nintendo Console

• Total voters

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
You all know I despise the N64. You had the NES, the SNES which was basically "NES +1"...then came the fucking N64. It was a branch all its own and one I hated up until the GC came out and was the "N64 +1".

It wasn't until the GBA coming out that we got to see the "SNES +1". It was everything I hoped the N64 would have been. In my world it is NES>SNES>GBA>everything else.

The GameCube has some amazing games on it. Far more then the 64. It's worth a revisit.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
NES. You can take everything else away and just leave me with an NES and I'll still be happy.

Same here. I love the SNES but if I have to pick just one NES all day, everyday, for the rest of my life!

Edit: As for GBA, yeah the GBA is awesome but so is the DSiXL, the games are amazing, I've been so hooked with some of them. I was hooked to Aliens Infestation, Thor, The Game & Watch Collections, Ketsui. GBA also kicked ass. I have no issues with Nintendo, I think each system has its own strengths and weaknesses. I cannot think of my hobby without Nintendo, even knowing Atari and knowing some arcades before, NES was the thing that actually drew me into the world of video games. Game & Watch was my very first experience with video games, I'll always love that era and the games a lot, but it's hard to pair that up against the other systems, I feel it's too different to be in the list. Game & Watch is in a different league.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Agreed. And the N64, while even looked like crap to me initially, has not held up well at all. Awful.

dunno dude, despite the consoles down comings, i think n64 games still hold up pretty well. mario 64, the zelda games, f zero x, star fox, banjo kazooie and mario kart are still highly playable today. i personally find the ps1 to be a console that has a ton of games that hasn't ages very well. my only problem with the n64 was that it wasn't very genre friendly. most of the games are just platformers. and on top of that, there's only about ten games worth owning for the system. so it's still a flop depending how you look at it.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Same here. I love the SNES but if I have to pick just one NES all day, everyday, for the rest of my life!

I finally got my AV famicom RGB modded (james had to remove that ppu for me it would not budge) and I been playing the hell out of it. Great system for short bursts of gaming. Much to my surprise though certain carts are priced kind of nuts though. I been so busy complaining about neo prices I didn't notice games like megaman selling for 80 bucks.
I'd have to say NES for me too, although that snes is getting a lot of play with those MSU hacks on the sd2snes (rock n roll racing with cd tracks...) at my house right now.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh no doubt man, SNES is a great system as well. I'm rocking a Jamma SNES and it' well worth it for me. I like how the SNES had some really cool arcade ports, more faithful to the source than NES although the NES ports were so creative, to me some ports surpassed the arcade. Back then as a kid Knights of the Round Table was my jam on the SNES, also Super SF and F-Zero, I could play those games endlessly...Batman Returns...Turtles IV, just so much great stuff. NES also has a tremendous library, if I were to make a list of favorite games ever, I can tell you there would be at least 3 NES games in the top 10.

You can't go wrong with either system, they are both solid, the best years of Nintendo IMHO.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I can't believe I'm the only person to vote for Virtual Boy.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Gamecube for me. RE4, Mario Strikers, Pikmin 2, Fire Emblem, Baten Kaitos, and Paper Mario TTYD are still some of my favorite games today. I never had a Nes or Snes growing up. GBA would be my second pick.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I finally got my AV famicom RGB modded (james had to remove that ppu for me it would not budge) and I been playing the hell out of it. Great system for short bursts of gaming. Much to my surprise though certain carts are priced kind of nuts though. I been so busy complaining about neo prices I didn't notice games like megaman selling for 80 bucks.
I'd have to say NES for me too, although that snes is getting a lot of play with those MSU hacks on the sd2snes (rock n roll racing with cd tracks...) at my house right now.

$80 for a Famicom copy of Mega Man 1 is cray cray. I just bought one last month for $25.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Virtual Boy Wario Land is legitimately one of my favorite platformers on any system.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Just out of curiosity, what are your favorite games on Virtual Boy?

Mario's Tennis, Virtual Boy Wario Land, Red Alarm, Galactic Pinball, Vertical Force, Teleroboxer (even though I suck at it), Bound High (proto), Hyper Fighting (homebrew).

I don't have Panic Bomber, Nester's Funky Bowling, 3D Tetris or Jack Bros., so I don't have an opinion on those.

Overall best game I think is Wario Land, it's a quality platformer with a lot of replay value. It predates Wario Land II so it relies on helmet/hat power-ups from Wario Land 1 rather than transformations like in the Wario Land sequels.

Biggest disappointment is Mario Clash. It's Mario Bros. with a background and foreground, but Nintendo removed the ability to hit enemies from under the floor. That was the best part of Mario Bros. What we're left with is a game where you have to carefully judge distance between the background and foreground in simulated 3D in order to knock out enemies with shells. I can appreciate that it tries to use the Virtual Boy's 3D in a functional way, but I absolutely suck at it, Mario Clash is a very difficult game for the wrong reason.

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
I have never been a big SNES fan. It's not bad by any means, just very few games really grabbed my attention. I will say that killer instinct brought me back to gaming after a long break for some reason I can't remember. NES has a ton of nostalgia for me, and did a bunch for gaming in general. I think I gotta go with the GC.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I was going to get this xoom tablet for awhile then they made the wiiu, I browse the internet with it with commercials on the tv its great!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
My vote goes for the Game Boy, since this poll throws handhelds & consoles together. There's simply nothing comparable to this strike of genius, not to mention that Tetris & Pocket Monsters done more for Big N than any other title, including Miyamoto's whole CV. While the first opened up gaming to masses of adults years before Sony did, the second saved them a bankruptcy or two.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
The SNES may very well be my favorite console I've ever owned (right behind the Neo Geo, of course). NES was amazing, but SNES was everything the NES was and more.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
The SNES may very well be my favorite console I've ever owned (right behind the Neo Geo, of course). NES was amazing, but SNES was everything the NES was and more.

This. Most of us are the right age to have been wowed by the snes too.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
My knee jerk reaction was NES, but I'm having second thoughts.... SNES is pretty damn excellent. GBA is a solid third Gameboy and DS are also insane. Wii is next.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Like DZ said, if I could only have 1 console it would be the NES and that would be enough for me.

As much as I love the SNES, I'd probably pick the GBA as my 2nd fav.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Anyone who votes for any console released after SNES (handhelds are excused) needs to check themselves.

"Haha yeah I like Nintendo run by incompetents, out-of-touch with reality or their fanbase...it's fun to see the once-uncontested industry champion reduced to perennial last place for decades...it's fun because I like supporting an underdog and I don't mind paying for an entire console just to play the half-a-handful of good games that will ever be released for it..."
STFU you douchebag hipsters.

It's weird, because I still think of Nintendo as a great company that has temporarily fallen on hard times, but will someday bounce back to their previous greatness. But we have actually now passed the point where they have been losers for more years than they had ever been winners. They flipped the equation. Maybe Nintendo was always a terrible company that accidentally attained greatness in the 1980s to mid-1990s. As crazy as that sounds, it's almost easier to rationalize than a great company coming out with N64 followed by GC followed by Wii and WiiU.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
SNES by far. So many great platformers and JRPGs. I like to collect for it too!

3DS has a good library as well.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I implore everyone to not vote. Discussion, fine, but if you vote you are enabling this sick behavior.

your heart = right place

...sadly, I too caved, but I voted N64 even though Gamecube is the correct answer.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Has to be SNES, how many RPGs have surpassed Chronotrigger even today? How many 2D platformers have surpassed Super Mario World? A Link to the Past is still considered one of the best Action RPGs ever made.

NES is historically significant and has an excellent library of games, but in many ways SNES took what the NES did and made it better.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
The GBA SP was beautifully designed after the shitbox original model.

You can use a classic controller plugged into a wiimote and move the cursor using the thumb sticks.

True but many games including punchout weren't compatible with the classic controller.

Last edited: