• Psp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Psp-Vita

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's nuts how many of my favorite PS2 games are just ports.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Playstation 2 + backwards compatibility with PS1 = winner for me.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
PS2 has an incredible, variable library. Almost as good as the SNES.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
as a matter of fact ps2 but psone is certainly close behind and the one i spent more time with

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
PS3, easily. The PS2 library didn't really do anything for me. I never did find a game that demanded I buy the system, none of the exclusives really grabbed me. Anything else I wanted to play from that gen, I just got it on the Xbox/Gamecube. Ps3 has a bunch of stuff I really liked, and it's seamless backwards compatibility for my PS1 library is just perfect. Just pop my old library in, and it's already scaled properly for HDMI output, AND I never have to worry about Memory cards again? Sign me up.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
PS3, easily. The PS2 library didn't really do anything for me. I never did find a game that demanded I buy the system, none of the exclusives really grabbed me. Anything else I wanted to play from that gen, I just got it on the Xbox/Gamecube. Ps3 has a bunch of stuff I really liked, and it's seamless backwards compatibility for my PS1 library is just perfect. Just pop my old library in, and it's already scaled properly for HDMI output, AND I never have to worry about Memory cards again? Sign me up.

Ya i love playing PS1 games on my PS3, the fact that games save on the HD is so convenient. Ive wanted to pick up a fat 60 gig ps3 but my last fat ps3 which wasnt backwards compatible gave me the yellow light of death a few years ago, so im hesitant to get another as a result. 60 gig ps3s seem to keep their value pretty well and ive never seen one for less than 200 bucks so getting a Ps3 slim and ps2 slim would be more reliable and cheaper.

Hardware wise i would have to choose ps3, i always found it to be a really well designed console compared to the xbox 360. I might be in the minority but i greatly prefer the PS3 interface over the xbox 360. The xbox had a convoluted and messy interface , where as the ps3 has a no frills interface that is easy to use and navigate. And its not full of fucking ads. Also , i find that the Fat ps3 is one of the nicest if not the nicest looking console ever made, really looks nice piece of entertainment equipment. Too bad its a dust magnet and not as reliable as the slim model.

Game wise, i would have to give the edge of the ps1 library. 90% of the library is unplayable for me these days but theres a few timeless games that i love like Final Fantasy, GTA2 , Monster Rancher 2, Bushido blade to name a few. Dont get me wrong though, ps2 and ps3 have alot of great titles as well. Ps2 has alot of awesome 2D fighters that ive been picking up lately.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I voted PS2, because it has no problems playing its own library plus the PS1 library. I've owned a BC PS3, but they are trash; not only do they have the YLOD issue, but also the first iteration of the blue laser is crappy and is sure to break if you play too many PS3 games and/or watch too many blu-rays. Despite the clutter, owning a late-gen slim PS3 plus a PS2 is far better than owning a BC PS3.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I voted PS2, because it has no problems playing its own library plus the PS1 library. I've owned a BC PS3, but they are trash; not only do they have the YLOD issue, but also the first iteration of the blue laser is crappy and is sure to break if you play too many PS3 games and/or watch too many blu-rays. Despite the clutter, owning a late-gen slim PS3 plus a PS2 is far better than owning a BC PS3.
Most definitely my old 60gb yold last year with a game stuck in it.I ended just buying a super slim PS3 to replace it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Name a better library. Seriously, put up or stfu. If you have one, please share it.

I was a Nintendo fanboy in the early '90s. More and more as time went on, quickly closing in on blind fanboy territory. Then reality changed all around us. The entire paradigm shifted. And I adjusted to the new reality. I don't know what happened to you. If you really have convinced yourself that all Sony consoles suck, you are a joyless, soulless husk who no longer actually enjoys video games.

You and I are basically in the same boat on this one. Die Hard nintendo fanboy of the 80's/early 90's...then I died hard and saw the change going on around me. Bought at PS1 in 1996 and it provided some of the best gaming years of my life.

PS1 has a library of games I love, but the system build quality was shit. PS2 owns the record for most units sold, but that's because its system build quality was also shit.

You know, I hear this often. My original G1 PS1 from 1996 still works to this day, as does my G1 PS2. I'm not doubting they break...I've just yet to have one go on me.

On topic, I gotta go with the PS2. Even though library wise, I feel PS1 > PS2....if the PS2 = (PS1 + PS2) then PS2 must > PS1. Its no longer a topic, but it being a DVD player on launch was also huge. For $300 (or whatever it cost back in 2000), you were getting a PS1, PS2 and a DVD player. No system on the market could touch that value at the time.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Yeah, my PS2 was also my first DVD player, so that was a big selling point for me too at the time.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, my PS2 was also my first DVD player, so that was a big selling point for me too at the time.

I think it was for a ton of people. I really feel Nintendo dropped the ball on that one. The fact that you could use a PS2 as a DVD player (and a year later, an XBox) was a big selling point.

I'll gladly admit that the primary reason why I picked up a PS3 back in 2008 was that it was the cheapest, internet up-gradable Blu Ray player available at the time.

On that note, if Sony does indeed release a "PS4.5" that played 4K discs, I'll probably get one of those as well.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
When compared to the competition at the time the PS1 is the clear winner to me. The N64, 3DO, and Saturn did not have the quantity or quality games PS1 did (in the U.S. at least). PS2 had more games than the competition but I hadf more fun with Xbox and GC generally.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Same for the 360 too then, I guess? After all, the majority of the library is duplicated across both platforms...

Except the 360 build quality was crap compared to the PS3.

I went through five 360s over eight years.

I only had to buy one PS3 and it didn't have a hiccup over the four years I had it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Except the 360 build quality was crap compared to the PS3.

I went through five 360s over eight years.

I only had to buy one PS3 and it didn't have a hiccup over the four years I had it.

Yeah, this is 100% true, the 360 was a shit pile build wise. My 2008 "fat" PS3 is still kicking to this day. I easily logged 300+ hours on the thing simply playing Fallout titles, let alone other games and all of the BR movies I've watched on it.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yeah, this is 100% true, the 360 was a shit pile build wise. My 2008 "fat" PS3 is still kicking to this day. I easily logged 300+ hours on the thing simply playing Fallout titles, let alone other games and all of the BR movies I've watched on it.

yup, mainly due to rushing it out whcih caused a very poorly designed piece of hardware. I dont know anybody who still has a working g1 xbox 360..the average lifespan was about 1.5 - 2 years. The slim models seem to be much better designed. Gaming store near my house wont touch any 360s due to the hardware issues.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
yup, mainly due to rushing it out whcih caused a very poorly designed piece of hardware. I dont know anybody who still has a working g1 xbox 360..the average lifespan was about 1.5 - 2 years. The slim models seem to be much better designed. Gaming store near my house wont touch any 360s due to the hardware issues.

The original PS3 is also very poorly designed. Awful ventilation, and piss poor power supplies. Nowhere near as bad as the 360, but still saw alot of them returned back in the day.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
The original PS3 is also very poorly designed. Awful ventilation, and piss poor power supplies. Nowhere near as bad as the 360, but still saw alot of them returned back in the day.

lol yup, they had their share of problems. Mine died on me 4 years after i bought it. But it wasnt a guarantee they would die like it was with the g1 360. Those were just ticking time bombs. Wasnt just the reliability though that made the ps3 winner in terms of design, they were also much much quieter than the 360. Those early 360s sounded like aircraft engines ..loudest piece of electronics ive ever heard.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Playstation 1 for me. It was my introduction to 3-D games, there were new experimental games, and for the first time ever we were getting good arcade ports. Plus we got Symphony of the Night and of course the Final Fantasies.