Nintendo NX for March 2017. Zelda delayed. No NX at e3. WTF

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm guessing Nintendo wants additional development time for their launch selection.

I hope so. The Wii U launch was laughable, it took another year before there was something to play besides Super Mario U.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
They don't have a choice, if they reveal the NX, then Sony and M$ one-up them on their console updates, Nintendo is fucked.

Best thing for them to do is see what M$ and Sony do, then adjust their NX to make sure the system can compete with the console updates.

This, pretty much.

Nintendo has always been a company known for delaying shit when shit gets tight. Not surprised one bit. And hey, if the delay also makes a surely good game (Zelda) GREAT, I'm all up for it. Rushing shit would cause no good anyway.

It should also be mentioned this is not the first time Nintendo has choosen to go pure Direct instead of e3, so again, not shocking.

A bit dissapointed? Sure. But what hasn't been dissapointed this generation?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm OK with just WiiU for another 5 years, just wait it out!

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
They don't have a choice, if they reveal the NX, then Sony and M$ one-up them on their console updates, Nintendo is fucked.

Best thing for them to do is see what M$ and Sony do, then adjust their NX to make sure the system can compete with the console updates.

the hardware is less than a year from being launched. I don't know much about hardware development but i assume with a project this big changing hardware this late in the game would be insanely costly and alienate third party devs.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
the hardware is less than a year from being launched. I don't know much about hardware development but i assume with a project this big changing hardware this late in the game would be insanely costly and alienate third party devs.

Yeah they won't change there hardware if Dev kits have been out for this long. However, Sony and MS may try to add things to one up them. It'll happen either way though.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Yeah they won't change there hardware if Dev kits have been out for this long. However, Sony and MS may try to add things to one up them. It'll happen either way though.

They can increase clock speed, add RAM, or do a few other tweaks if they find the current offering would be too underpowered. Its probably the reason they delayed it until March, so they have some maneuverability to respond to Sony and Microsoft. They can't fuck up again. This is their last chance.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
There's like 5 more games coming out for it and the rest are indie releases.

I think between what we've gotten so far and the Wii's library I'm pretty set with the system. I can do without a new Nintendo system for a good 5 years if not 10.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I think between what we've gotten so far and the Wii's library I'm pretty set with the system. I can do without a new Nintendo system for a good 5 years if not 10.

It's off topic, but Nintendo consoles seem to be best when they freshly dead, or near death. You can get them at their cheapest (but still brand new) and you have those cream of the crop titles all at once vs the trickle you get in real time. I may land up picking up a WiiU...but it won't be until the thing is next to dead and cheap.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I have very low expectations for the NX.

The Wii and WiiU are/were both terrible consoles. The NX is going to be vastly outpaced when Sony and MS bring out new consoles in a couple years (this is going to be a very short generation). Other than the 3DS, Nintendo is near-irrelevant and refuses to modernize.

Nintendo is a shitty company that's (hopefully) going to finally have to get out of consoles after the NX.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
It's off topic, but Nintendo consoles seem to be best when they freshly dead, or near death. You can get them at their cheapest (but still brand new) and you have those cream of the crop titles all at once vs the trickle you get in real time. I may land up picking up a WiiU...but it won't be until the thing is next to dead and cheap.

Same. I might buy a Wii U next year or whenever it's $150 or $100.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

I agree with that, except for accessories. The price of accessories seems to fucking skyrocket. Wavebirds have been $50 since about a year after the system croaked.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
They're going to pull the same shit they did with twilight princess. Develop it for a dying console, add some new features, and make people buy it for a new console, in order to sell systems.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
If this causes the Wii U to drop to under $200 I may finally pick up a Wii U.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
If this causes the Wii U to drop to under $200 I may finally pick up a Wii U.

I'm shocked it's still $300 TBH. They'll definitely drop the price to $250 (plus a pack-in) for E3.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I've always been interested in a WiiU, but it would have to be sub-$200 and come with a pack-in game. If I was going to spend $300 on a current-gen system, it would be one of the other two (on sale, obviously.) $300 for a WiiU is a big pill to swallow considering how cheap the Wii got towards the end of its life.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Honestly now is not the time to get a Wii U.

I got mine at launch (or close to it) and I've got my money's worth out of it for sure….but the end is so near for it you know there will be big price drops/incentives in the near future.

Having said that, anyone with even a slight interest in gaming should get a Wii U. It has some of the best iterations of Nintendo's main franchises (Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario 3D World, DK Country, Yoshi Wooly World, Mario Maker, Pikmin, Xenoblade)….and a decent number of nice surprises (Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Splatoon, NES Remix, Kirby Rainbow Curse).

These are just off the top of my head..and that's like what - 16 games? That more than enough warrants a purchase in my opinion.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor

I got mine at launch (or close to it) and I've got my money's worth out of it for sure….but the end is so near for it you know there will be big price drops/incentives in the near future.

Having said that, anyone with even a slight interest in gaming should get a Wii U. It has some of the best iterations of Nintendo's main franchises (Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario 3D World, DK Country, Yoshi Wooly World, Mario Maker, Pikmin, Xenoblade)….and a decent number of nice surprises (Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Splatoon, NES Remix, Kirby Rainbow Curse).

These are just off the top of my head..and that's like what - 16 games? That more than enough warrants a purchase in my opinion.

Yeah I'd wait for a nice Black Friday bundle for those that don't have one yet. I doubt they will ever be sold new for under $150 though. The gamepad is probably pricey to manufacture and Nintendo will most likely stop making the consoles soon after the NX launches.
The recently released Nintendo Selects are awesome tho for $20. DK, Mario World, Pikmin 3, etc. Hopefully they add Mario Kart 8, Windwaker, and Splatoon shortly.

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I've always been interested in a WiiU, but it would have to be sub-$200 and come with a pack-in game. If I was going to spend $300 on a current-gen system, it would be one of the other two (on sale, obviously.) $300 for a WiiU is a big pill to swallow considering how cheap the Wii got towards the end of its life.

I feel ya, I took the dive about 16 months ago bidding on a bundle on eBay. I got the Zelda edition with the HD remake of Zelda wind waker, and two Wii style wiimotes for 230 shipped. I almost never get bargains on eBay but somehow scooped this one. I only have about 10 games but they are really good games. Don't pass on this system just grab it when you find a deal but I find myself plaything this one more then all my other consoles and hour for hour more then all my arcade games.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet

+1 Nailed it.
And that's not saying anything about the Virtual Console, or failing that the awesome homebrew/emulation stuff you can do in the Wii mode.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

That's pretty much all the great/decent games worth owning, + Pikmin, Windwaker, and Twilight Princess.

All that virtual console stuff, probably not bought by many here because they have everdrive, or the real carts.

When you think about it, compared to older consoles, it's really kind of nice to have such a small strong library. When I see other consoles like NES and SNES, I'm like "damn, there's really 50+ games I want". So in a way it seems justifiable to actually pick up all the games I want, for a decent price, and actually complete them all.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I find it pretty easy to justify the $300. In my case, I like all genres of games, and I've got 28 titles for the Wii U, all of which are solid. By comparison, on PS4, I've got 27 and XBONE, 5. Those systems have way more support, and yet I still have more games for and get more play time out of the Wii U. I like the PS4 in many ways (...and not in others), and I keep the XBONE around for exclusives, but the nod goes to the Wii U for pure fun. If you look at it from a dollars-per-hour perspective, the Wii U makes a case for itself at its price point.
Funny that this thread has turned into a discussion about whether or not the Wii U is worth the price it currently demands, because my wife was just talking about getting a second one this past weekend.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Wii U is the only current console I give a shit about, tbh. Its predecessor got me back into gaming after a long absence and the U improved on that foundation. I will continue to buy Nintendo home systems and games for as long as they continue to make them.