Everdrive GBA Group Buy

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
354   0   0
Can someone enlighten me on the difference between this everdrive and the EZFlashIV that's been out for ever? They both load the games into memory and play them off the chip like an original right? or am I wrong? Curious as I might be down for one of these, just wanted to know the difference as I used to have the IV.

Everdrives have always had easier setup, better interface, and better rom compatibility. I've owned an EZ Flash IV and it was a bit buggy and very slow loading roms. The interface kinda sucked too. It was passable, but just bad enough to make me want the real carts again.

I've never regretted getting an Everdrive, except the NES one (and I actually think it was a Chinese bootleg, as it's also the only one I didn't get directly from krikzz).

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Blah blah blah, sux it gaies. Krizz give me one neener neener

+1 for jibba jew

Not saying that at all. If he's going to give me one, then I'm not going to buy one. If he's not going to give me one, then I wan't to get in on this deal. I don't want to give the OP a firm "yes" and then have to pull a Whisp.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I'd be interested depending on the details. Not having to lug around a dozen GBA games on a trip would be great, that, and probably the only way I'll ever get a Mega Man Battle Network compilation on one cart ;)

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Everdrives have always had easier setup, better interface, and better rom compatibility. I've owned an EZ Flash IV and it was a bit buggy and very slow loading roms. The interface kinda sucked too. It was passable, but just bad enough to make me want the real carts again.

I've never regretted getting an Everdrive, except the NES one (and I actually think it was a Chinese bootleg, as it's also the only one I didn't get directly from krikzz).

I have the Famicom Everdrive and it runs perfect like all the rest. Definitely gotta be careful if you get them from anywhere but Krikzz and a couple of other official resellers. The bootleggers have gotten very good at replicating the look of real Everdrives, except those are buggy and turn to shit once you try to update the firmware.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was told on another site the set price was $99 for it. Not sure if that was direct or from something like stoneagegamer.com though. If you assume it's $99 from krikzz then STG is going to be probably $20 higher or more since they're never the cheapest option. If the price is correct I was quoted, I'd probably be in for a group buy depending on the cut. If it were saving $10 probably not though as I'd take speed over a 10% off slice.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
37   0   0

I believe the GBA Everdrive will drain the battery less than the EZ Flash IV as well. I can't seem to find the post on Krikzz's forum, but I remember reading a post he made about the power draw and the new Everdrive being more efficient.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I second this entirely from personal experience having come across 2 of those ez-flash 4's. They're slow, the molding is also crap and you need to use tweezers pretty much to get the memory card out of it. The menu isn't streamlined or fun to use, I replaced it when I last had one that sucked a bit less. Another that suffers from slow, boring, clunky and even having to hit reset just to get saves stored on the NES side is that powerpak so many suck up to, had that too, never would recommend it. Everdrives though are solid, the programming guts get updates, great menu, quite a bit faster (memory card a given here), saves right like a native game pak. They may cost more than the ghetto stuff, but you don't put up with the annoyance and bs of every day painful use.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
354   0   0
I second this entirely from personal experience having come across 2 of those ez-flash 4's. They're slow, the molding is also crap and you need to use tweezers pretty much to get the memory card out of it. The menu isn't streamlined or fun to use, I replaced it when I last had one that sucked a bit less. Another that suffers from slow, boring, clunky and even having to hit reset just to get saves stored on the NES side is that powerpak so many suck up to, had that too, never would recommend it. Everdrives though are solid, the programming guts get updates, great menu, quite a bit faster (memory card a given here), saves right like a native game pak. They may cost more than the ghetto stuff, but you don't put up with the annoyance and bs of every day painful use.

Totally forgot about the terrible cart shell it has! Yeah, it has a vise like death grip on that little micro SD card, it's nearly impossible to remove. Very flimsy molding too.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I'm in. Disappointed I missed out on the GB group buy. I'd like to eventually pick one of those up as well.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Won't this work with GB ROMs?
I'm betting no, since the GBA doesn't enter GBC mode unless the shape of the cartridge pushes a switch in, that's why the GBA carts have those notches by the contacts.

There's GB/C emulators on GBA if you must.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I'm in, but like everyone, pending price. It'll more than likely to be sold with the case.

Also:

KRIKzz said:
Just tested EverDrive-GBA power consumption, and results pretty impressive.
original game: 52.3mA (Spyro 2)
everdrive-gba: 56.1mA
another farmous flashcart: 93.9mA (and peaks over 100ma durinl loading)
I tested whole system power consumption (console + cart). GBA-SP were used for testing.
Cartridge design is not completed yet, so, in final product numbers may changed

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Thanks for posting the power consumption info, goombakid. That was the post I was looking for.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Won't this work with GB ROMs?

Natively no, it just can't, none of them will.
Just use this: http://www.dwedit.org/gba/goombacolor.php

I used this on those shitty ez-flash4's I had, and before that I had this flash2advance device I think it was, usb into a dock, put the cart in there and add/remove games into the internal chip (didn't use sd media.)

It's fantastic. Goomba Color is a GBC emulator/simulator, since the GBA has the z80a in there which the GB/GBC uses, it bypasses that lockout toggle using emulation then just uses I believe native system calls to fire up the game as if it were like on a real old GBC. Just like on a GBC once you're beyond the menu and boot to that 'Nintendo' *ping* boot screen you can pick your color choice (down+B I believe is black and white) and old GB games will look normal, stuff with GBC pre-sets will do that, and GBC unique games will run just like on a GBC. All this in a convenient goombagba.gba file with a nice little menu to config stuff and pick your game from (much like PocketNES.) I used to keep my entire NES and GB/GBC library on my flash kit I had so I could play on the go. There's even a PCE(TG16) emulator that will even handle ISO's of CD games so I had at some point Draculax and Ys Book1+2 running on the thing.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I'm betting no, since the GBA doesn't enter GBC mode unless the shape of the cartridge pushes a switch in, that's why the GBA carts have those notches by the contacts.

There's GB/C emulators on GBA if you must.

You just blew my mind. I had no idea there was a physical switch.

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Sweet, so looks like lots of interest! If you haven't already please subscribe to this thread, because I'd like to minimize time between announcement and actual order. As soon as details surface, I'll try to work up a total quote and get as many orders in over say a 48 hour window, then close the order so we can get higher on the list. I'd like to make this as easy as possible, so make this a bundle, Everdrive w/ shell and a MicroSD. What do we think about 32GB capacity? This would add about $10, then $6 for USPS flat rate small, so whatever Retrogate sells them for, we just add $16 to the price? Let me know what you guys think