Crazy Taxi & 18 Wheeler Upright Cab Questions

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I found a Craigslist ad selling the 18 Wheeler only. I'm not really interested in 18 Wheeler but the Crazy Taxi beside it caught my eye. I emailed asking if he would consider selling the Crazy Taxi and it was a definite NO. Blah, blah, blah, I made an offer he couldn't refuse for both and here we are.

So, I'll be picking both of these cabs up next week and I'm wondering what else will play in them without modification? I realize the 18 Wheeler cab will probably have to be dedicated solely to that game considering the bloody steering wheel on that thing. The Crazy Taxi on the other hand seems like it would work nicely with other driving games. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I found a Craigslist ad selling the 18 Wheeler only. I'm not really interested in 18 Wheeler but the Crazy Taxi beside it caught my eye. I emailed asking if he would consider selling the Crazy Taxi and it was a definite NO. Blah, blah, blah, I made an offer he couldn't refuse for both and here we are.

So, I'll be picking both of these cabs up next week and I'm wondering what else will play in them without modification? I realize the 18 Wheeler cab will probably have to be dedicated solely to that game considering the bloody steering wheel on that thing. The Crazy Taxi on the other hand seems like it would work nicely with other driving games. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 37547

Only game I know you can drop in and play with only having to add a couple wires would be Jambo Safari. If you need a cart I have a couple around here somewhere in sure I could let go of for cheap.

pipes

DZ would know for sure, ping him
:D

Will do, thanks!

Only game I know you can drop in and play with only having to add a couple wires would be Jambo Safari. If you need a cart I have a couple around here somewhere in sure I could let go of for cheap.

Is it a mod that would need to be constantly switched back and forth if I want to change games? I did read that the issue is with the shifter though. I might be interested in that cart. Thanks for the offer.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
If it has a Naomi 2 inside by chance you could probably drop Initial D into the Crazy Taxi cab.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Very cool Pipes! I recently got a Crazy Taxi upright and I'm pretty far with restoring it now. The Taxi cab is pretty easy to mod to enable Jambo Safari to work in there, and Outrun 2 Chihiro should be fairly easy as well... Looking for a Chihiro setup myself right now. So much fun in your future!:)

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Ok so the 18 wheeler cab. Your options with that wheel are pretty slim. If you replace the Naomi mobo with a Naomi 2 you'll have access to both the 18 Wheeler and King of Route 66 games. Due to the turning radius on those wheels, non of the other racing games will work with it.

The Crazy Taxi cab will play Jambo Safari without control rewiring, you'll just use the shifter to throw.the lasso. If you install a Chihiro, you will need to rewire the shifter and also add in the view change buttons. Keep in mind that the wheel in the crazy taxi has a slightly larger turning radius and no force feedback, but the game is very playable with it. Just toss in a brand new spring and you'll be good to go. Also, if you're buying a Chihiro, don't waste your time on the type 1. Get the type 3, and make sure it has 1gb of ram, or the pop up in OR2 is ridiculous.

pipes

Very cool Pipes! I recently got a Crazy Taxi upright and I'm pretty far with restoring it now. The Taxi cab is pretty easy to mod to enable Jambo Safari to work in there, and Outrun 2 Chihiro should be fairly easy as well... Looking for a Chihiro setup myself right now. So much fun in your future!:)

Very cool. Outrun 2 would be fantastic. I'll have to look into that for sure. You'll be getting some PM's from me in the near future that's for sure.

Ok so the 18 wheeler cab. Your options with that wheel are pretty slim. If you replace the Naomi mobo with a Naomi 2 you'll have access to both the 18 Wheeler and King of Route 66 games. Due to the turning radius on those wheels, non of the other racing games will work with it.

The Crazy Taxi cab will play Jambo Safari without control rewiring, you'll just use the shifter to throw.the lasso. If you install a Chihiro, you will need to rewire the shifter and also add in the view change buttons. Keep in mind that the wheel in the crazy taxi has a slightly larger turning radius and no force feedback, but the game is very playable with it. Just toss in a brand new spring and you'll be good to go. Also, if you're buying a Chihiro, don't waste your time on the type 1. Get the type 3, and make sure it has 1gb of ram, or the pop up in OR2 is ridiculous.

Thanks for the info. At least I can get a couple of games running the that 18 Wheeler cab so I'm happy about that. I'll definitely be upgrading to a Naomi 2.

So for the Crazy Taxi...new spring and a Chihiro type 3....gotcha! This sounds promising.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Very cool. Outrun 2 would be fantastic. I'll have to look into that for sure. You'll be getting some PM's from me in the near future that's for sure.

Thanks for the info. At least I can get a couple of games running the that 18 Wheeler cab so I'm happy about that. I'll definitely be upgrading to a Naomi 2.

So for the Crazy Taxi...new spring and a Chihiro type 3....gotcha! This sounds promising.

Gotta rewire the shifter too. If you end up doing a full conversion , the decals used on the real outrun cab shifter are actually under the crazy taxi ones.