GameCube component cables WTF?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
You may not be able to use GC discs and controllers on the Wii Family Edition or Wii U, but all of those consoles still have full support for running Gamecube games, that's an inherent feature of the PowerPC chips used in them, each one is built on top of the other (Wii built on top of GC, Wii U built on top of Wii).

Just softmod your Wii or Wii U, install Nintendont, put some GC disc images on your SD card (or HDD) and away you go. You'll have to use virtual GC memory cards and Wii Classic controllers though.

The Wii Mini is the same except it's so locked down, it's currently impossible to soft mod it.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Asking about these for my friend, is there a way to fab up custom Gamecube component cables? Jesus the "official" ones are stupid expensive. Has to be some alternative instead of spending over a hundred on these.

There's a decoder built into the plug that hasn't been replicated, but the cables are a joke, and are only that expensive because of collectors. I've been really into Gamecube this year, and been playing almost exclusively on my Wii, as load times are faster and some titles run slightly smoother, plus you can actually use cheap factory component Wii cables. Best of all worlds, imho.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There's a decoder built into the plug that hasn't been replicated, but the cables are a joke, and are only that expensive because of collectors. I've been really into Gamecube this year, and been playing almost exclusively on my Wii, as load times are faster and some titles run slightly smoother, plus you can actually use cheap factory component Wii cables. Best of all worlds, imho.

The hardware in the cable has been duplicated, I posted a link earlier in the thread.

Doll fucker.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I wonder when the plug and play one will be available.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
There's a decoder built into the plug that hasn't been replicated, but the cables are a joke, and are only that expensive because of collectors.

Actually that's not 100% true

http://gamecube.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_gc_video_display.php

"Can't I just use a Nintendo Wii? The Component cables are so easy to find for that system!"

Ah... well, no you shouldn't use a Wii, for 2 important reasons:

1.) The networking functions for GameCube games do not work on the Wii.
2.) The Component signal for the Wii is worse than that of the GameCube.

That's right, the Component output signal for the Nintendo GameCube is actually better than the Wii.

video_05.jpg

This image comparison was taken from a thread over at shmups.com forums. While it can be argued that the Wii screenshot is out of focus, notice the shadow edges on the gold metalic areas of the Wii screen. There is clearly some sort of filter being applied to the 480p output from the Wii.

If you're a whore about getting the best picture quality for a system like a lot of people here are then yeah go for that component cable. Yes it's a lot of money but you'll be hard pressed to find any other type of hookups that'll give you the highest quality image for your Gamecube. The main reason the cable is so costly is it was only really sold in Japan but you could get it in the U.S. from ordering directly from Nintendo in the U.S. as most stores didn't carry the cable at retail outlets.

Also the cable hasn't been replicated yet. There have been work-arounds to get the cube to display images at component levels but it usually involves hacking your cube to get the right connections to make it work. Most people don't want to bother with the shit and the idea of cracking open your system to franken-mod it to display higher image quality isn't worth it to some people.

I bought my cable from scruffy here on the forums and I've not regretted it since.

Edit: You might want to have your friend check the back of his Gamecube also. Later models removed the Multi-Out port on the back so you'd only be left with connecting composite *yuck* or S-video from there.

Last edited:

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
Nintendo has a decoder chip built in the cable, there are no third party ones

cable-board.jpg

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Edit: You might want to have your friend check the back of his Gamecube also. Later models removed the Multi-Out port on the back so you'd only be left with connecting composite *yuck* or S-video from there.

Those Gamecube systems have "DOL-101" on the label underneath. It might just be the lamest revised console Nintendo has ever released.

NERDtendo

Igniz's Servent
10 Year Member
I have the component cable for my GameCube set-up and it looks great. I love it.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Those Gamecube systems have "DOL-101" on the label underneath. It might just be the lamest revised console Nintendo has ever released.

No I think the winner goes to that last revision of the Nintendo Wii.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Well, the DOL-101 isn't far off, it's a Gamecube with only stuff taken away, like the Digital AV port and the Serial 2 port, it also blocks older Action Replay discs.

But yeah, the Wii Mini (RVL-201) is the worst. It has so much stuff taken away, it's practically useless. Yeah, it'll play Wii games, but it's missing the Wii Shop Channel, Gamecube support and let's face it, the Wii is only truly useful after it's been softmodded.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
There are a few GameCube games that won't run on a backwards compatible Wii. The Wii's GPU is lacking support for some of the lower resolutions that a handful of games use. The two Mega Man Collections are the ones I'm aware of.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
There are a few GameCube games that won't run on a backwards compatible Wii. The Wii's GPU is lacking support for some of the lower resolutions that a handful of games use. The two Mega Man Collections are the ones I'm aware of.

That's not true at all. The Mega Man collections apparently boot into 240p when put in progressive scan. On the gamecube, you would have to hold down A to make the game boot in progressive, but on Wii it willwauto boot into progressive. If played on a component tube tv or pvm, you shouldn't have a problem. I've played MMX Collection on a Wii on a pvm before.

Last edited:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
You could get a euro gamecube plus modchip plus scart cable. Probably cheaper than a component cable.

Once you have that, realize a wii would have been good enough.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
That's not true at all. The Mega Man collections apparently boot into 240p when put in progressive scan. On the gamecube, you would have to hold down A to make the game boot in progressive, but on Wii it willwauto boot into progressive. If played on a component tube tv or pvm, you shouldn't have a problem. I've played MMX Collection on a Wii on a pvm before.

I have the Game Cube component cables as well as a launch Wii and can confirm that the two Mega Man Collections work fine in both interlaced and progressive with the GC but not at all with my Wii. Same thing with a friend's Wii, but we both have launch models. Maybe Nintendo fixed it with a later hardware revision-I dunno.

EDIT: I researched this, and apparently the Mega Man Collections will run on a backwards compatible Wii if you go into system settings and switch it to interlaced display mode. The games won't work in the Wii's progressive mode. I've always run my Wii with component & progressive set so this was news to me.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
S-video is just fine on Gamecube. No need to spend stupid amounts of money to make it look slightly better.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
S-video is just fine on Gamecube. No need to spend stupid amounts of money to make it look slightly better.

I have the component cable from launch. It's worth stupid money now, but the difference between 480i over s-video and 480p over component is more than just "slightly better". The Wii with its inferior component output is the way to go for most people.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

Just as with the PVM craze, most of these folks are just chasing the dragon. They talk a big game, but can't tell the difference between wii and cube component. Just play the fucking games and stop worrying about the slightly sharper graphics.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
I have the component cable from launch. It's worth stupid money now, but the difference between 480i over s-video and 480p over component is more than just "slightly better". The Wii with its inferior component output is the way to go for most people.

yeah but PAL games dont support 480p

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

Some people like myself were willing to pay for that upgrade. I didn't pay as much as some people did for that cable thanks to scruffy but you have to consider that this site as many other places have people buying shit for their systems to even get a minor bit of performance.

This video explains a lot about the Gamecube and how to get the best picture out of it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The reason I'll stick with s-video is I can use it with the Cube, 64, Snes and modded top loader. Less wires at the back of my tv.

If the component cables were reasonably priced, I would grab a set.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I have GC component cables and first party Wii component cables, on the Wii I've noticed a bit of ringing and some chroma smear, on my PVM. I haven't done an A/B comparison vs the GameCube but there's room for improvement for sure. To be fair the Wii's output is not what I'd call bad.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Some do, but it's just a fraction of the whole library.

PAL GCN games don't run in progressive scan. Holding the B button on startup on supported games gives you the option to run in 60Hz, but it's still interlaced.