World Cup 2018... OFFICIAL THREAD....

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Wow! What a game!

Henry helped Belgium to do the dirty work and eliminate Brazil (France usually had this job), then probably left Mertens' top centers on the bench, till it was too late. Good man ;). On a more serious note, Pogba did miraculous work in the defense exterminating De Bruyne and Kanté is the best player of this WC so far. Deschamps is as good as I suspected, the experienced grunt he is. Kudos France!

There was one foul on Hazard by Giroud, that was left unpunished, otherwise it was a fine work by the Uruguayan referee. This could have been decisive, though.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Agreed, fantastic game. Either team looked like they would demolish England with ease, so much quality on one pitch.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hate to say it but France played like a world champ.

Now gimme my dream final France - England and let Engerlund win the cup, dammit.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Yeah, gimme that, too, or else xRotx will disappear me ;).

Great game... very open...

France defended like Trojans...

xROTx

PS. Oliverclaude... I'd disappear you if I wake up with a hangover.. let alone over a football match... geez...

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
didn't enjoy the match much, maybe the first 30 minutes but it was frustrating to see Belgium unable to resolve the situation. France was coy and efficient, showed pedigree of world cup winner like Tak said and had winner's luck added to a very dynamic and efficient defense. intelligent football won out once more.

being Argentinean, supporting England is a crime punishable by death/seppuku, but the ladz deserve a win. 1966-2018.
that said I have always liked Croatia and it's players. I just don't see them as a physically strong team, and with the 120 minute warfare that was the last match, it's nigh impossible that they can save themselves from the winning headers and ground level shots on goal the englanders have amongst their arsenal.

england france final would be beautiful, and I would secretly cheer on the bearers of st.george's cross much like andrew garfield in silence

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
this weekend is going to be pure sport.
saturday night Lucas Matthysse (my fellow countrybloke) to get his face punched by Manny Pacquiao
sunday you get world cup final
and wimbledon tennis final
too much

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
As much as I would like to see a New World Cup winner, a England France Final would be much sexier. Those Croatians been fighting their asses off though. Either way we'll see a good game.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It was a shit match. You guys don’t pay much attention to the fouls that happen I guess. Neither did the ref.

That’s not to say France weren’t great as a whole, but holy shit does Griezmann suck. Does he only perform when Saul and Koke are feeding him balls?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
France is probably the most physical team in the WC. They have skill and pace too but have really benefitted from the WWE refs :lolz: That being said, Belgium's performance was lackluster. They do much better on the counter attack but France sat back and Belgium were slow to build forward movement and unimaginative. Disappointing finish for them after some great games. I cant see England or Croatia beating France.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
It was a shit match. You guys don’t pay much attention to the fouls that happen I guess. Neither did the ref.

That’s not to say France weren’t great as a whole, but holy shit does Griezmann suck. Does he only perform when Saul and Koke are feeding him balls?

the foul on Hazard near the French goal area that was looked over by the ref was criminal. I don't understand why Belgium didn't push much harder for the ref to take issue with the incident.
in the end they wheren't hungry enough.
several french players deserve oscar nominations

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's one of the biggest sport events reaching its semifinals, the players are nervous as hell and totally exhausted. Keeping that in mind, this was a very clean game, with mostly tactical fouls that were all handled directly as such, i.e. with a yellow card. There was that one foul on Hazard by Giroud left unpunished, yes, but I wouldn't consider it a game breaker, since the game was won merely by a one goal difference, with still enough chances afterwards by both teams to change that score.

Today's teams are slower and less reluctant to put tackling to use, here I'd rather expect a dirty game. It's up to the managers to prevent that from happening, but with stakes & expectations as high, who knows how they'll guide their players.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Fouls, pfff, I'm glad the refs aren't pussies. Now let's get rid of that VAR thing and things will look brighter.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
the foul on Hazard near the French goal area that was looked over by the ref was criminal. I don't understand why Belgium didn't push much harder for the ref to take issue with the incident.
in the end they wheren't hungry enough.
several french players deserve oscar nominations

After seeing the colostomy bag of a match between Croatia and England, I think belgium just kind of knew that Infantino has a plan and no one was getting in the way of it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
After seeing the colostomy bag of a match between Croatia and England, I think belgium just kind of knew that Infantino has a plan and no one was getting in the way of it.

What did you think of the Match between Croatia and England?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
What did you think of the Match between Croatia and England?

I think that Cuney Suker shouldn't be allowed to referee games outside of Turkey. Dejan Lovren would have been carded out in the first 30 minutes with a competent referee. At the very least he would have received a card for his early antics and compelled to chill the fuck out. Second half had good play form Croatia, but this ignores the psychological effect on a team that knows that ref is bent double. England was gutted already. Lot of bad decisions. The goal from Croatia from the ridiculous high kick could have caused an injury. Like I said, Cuney Suker shouldn't officiate games.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I think that Cuney Suker shouldn't be allowed to referee games outside of Turkey. Dejan Lovren would have been carded out in the first 30 minutes with a competent referee. At the very least he would have received a card for his early antics and compelled to chill the fuck out. Second half had good play form Croatia, but this ignores the psychological effect on a team that knows that ref is bent double. England was gutted already. Lot of bad decisions. The goal from Croatia from the ridiculous high kick could have caused an injury. Like I said, Cuney Suker shouldn't officiate games.

So you think England lost because of bad officiating?

Only reason I ask is I missed almost the whole game only caught the 2nd half of extra time. I haven't heard from anyone else about the officiating.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So you think England lost because of bad officiating?

Only reason I ask is I missed almost the whole game only caught the 2nd half of extra time. I haven't heard from anyone else about the officiating.

I am on the opposite end. Once Perisic got away with a dangerous high kick that resulted in a goal, after the referee yellow carded Kyle Walker who had just been hobbled by Lovren, I decided to turn it off.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I am on the opposite end. Once Perisic got away with a dangerous high kick that resulted in a goal, after the referee yellow carded Kyle Walker who had just been hobbled by Lovren, I decided to turn it off.

I see

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Bad calls maybe, but England just lost it second half

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Bad calls maybe, but England just lost it second half

Hurricane said in an interview right after the match, that they were playing to "keep the score". Against Croatia, who is known throughout the tournament to even any score. Bad decision, indeed. But this is a excellent young team and the upcoming EC should be theirs, if Southgate restrains from the one-key player concept. England is a team as a whole, it's the managers duty to make them understand, that everyone is equally important and if one fails, the other can take on just as well.

So, England faces Belgium once more. Maybe they shouldn't have gambled on loosing the last time? Anyway, I doubt Januzaj will have his fun again, it rather looks like bench time for him. This will also be a very important test for Southgate's coaching. If he brings that baby home, the next international tourneys will be a very exiting time for England. I sense this WC's third-place play-off is the finale the majority wanted to see anyway. Let's make it happen, Gentlemen!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hurricane said in an interview right after the match, that they were playing to "keep the score". Against Croatia, who is known throughout the tournament to even any score. Bad decision, indeed. But this is a excellent young team and the upcoming EC should be theirs, if Southgate restrains from the one-key player concept. England is a team as a whole, it's the managers duty to make them understand, that everyone is equally important and if one fails, the other can take on just as well.

So, England faces Belgium once more. Maybe they shouldn't have gambled on loosing the last time? Anyway, I doubt Januzaj will have his fun again, it rather looks like bench time for him. This will also be a very important test for Southgate's coaching. If he brings that baby home, the next international tourneys will be a very exiting time for England. I sense this WC's third-place play-off is the finale the majority wanted to see anyway. Let's make it happen, Gentlemen!

Yeah. Remember 2006? Winning that third place somehow felt like we got the cup.

Some say that the match for the third is crap and some players hate it but I think it's a good chance to balance things out a bit... ...or get another blow but that's life, eh.

Please, England, do me a favour and make Belgium less relevant again.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Rot, are you ok bud? Talk to me goose.

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
the final was belgium against france....i think france will bash these croatians!!!