PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Sounds like the ACD issue is not a matter of "if" but WHEN for people. I currently have a rev2 board and it shit the bed after about a year and a half of regular use. It seems to have something to do with the RAM used for ACD games. It becomes corrupt after reading/writing "X" number of times. And until they announce a fix, ACD games are unplayable after it happens.

I know Todd has his hands full with customer support, but they've pretty much ignored everyone on the forums that have chimed in with the same problem. I can't speak for the chats happening on discord as I'm not a fan of using that. It's honestly a little suspicious given that most tech issues will have someone other than Todd chime in fairly quick...regardless of "new product" orders taking up their time.

It's a real bummer, since I sold my Duo after buying one of these things, and I play ACD games pretty regularly...or, i did.

Fuck that blows. Was thinking of firing up ffs today.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Yep. Horrible game. I play it every now and then because ... Well I can't believe how bad it is. I'm 1000% certain a more serviceable port was possible but the short lead time from moving it from the Supergrafx to the PC CD didn't help. From what I read they had to port it fast before losing the license.

I missed this somehow but yeah it has all the tell tale signs of rushing. Just by the palette choices you can tell, they're suboptimal and sometimes outright incorrect (green comissars in the first stage boss room).

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
And you know they probably never will, and they probably won’t address your units issue.

not a good thing, as it's starting to happen to more people as they use their units more. Really seems like a "when" and not "if" ACD function shits the bed on these at some point. Unless, they know what they did and are shipping corrected units as the latest batch. No way to know as they are refusing to talk about it.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
not a good thing, as it's starting to happen to more people as they use their units more. Really seems like a "when" and not "if" ACD function shits the bed on these at some point. Unless, they know what they did and are shipping corrected units as the latest batch. No way to know as they are refusing to talk about it.

They never even took that firmware update out of beta. It'd be nice if they at least assured us they were working on a fix.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Well, it looks like they want me to send in the unit to help them figure out what the deal is. So, I'll keep this thread updated for the 4 people curious lol

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Well, it looks like they want me to send in the unit to help them figure out what the deal is. So, I'll keep this thread updated for the 4 people curious lol

Yikes to Andorra? I guess we'll see the conclusion of this saga in November ... the earliest

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I'm curious ... I have an OG modded SSD3 that's still working fine with ACD for now. Keep us updated!

TonySwish

n00b

I may not post a lot here, but I definitely appreciate you sending the unit in as I'm having the same issue.

Terraonion's response didn't exactly make me confident as a customer who has purchased all of their products. When I first submitted a support ticket (well after the thread on the support forums), they basically pushed me off to Stone Age Gamer for support when it was clearly an issue that other users are having.

I'm glad they finally realized this isn't just happening to a few units and are actually looking into it, it's a shame that it took this long for them to make an adequate response. Hopefully a fix is upcoming.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Uhhhhh, what the fuck...?

ACD games are still working on mine, but my SSDS3 has seen pretty limited use. Hope they chime in on this soon.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
So far we have 3 or 4 reports of SSDS3 units with ACD game issues. Hardly a mass failure.

However pixeljunkie is sending his to me for further testing.

Will report back what I find.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I had an arcade card game flip on me today. I play Fatal Fury Special and World Heroes 2 whenever I game on the PC engine so it's not like I was looking for this.

Anyway I was fighting Billy Kane on FFS and after the first round the background glitched out. Colors were messed up graphics were missing. After beating him though everything returned to normal.

So far everything seems to be working but just thought I'd give a heads up.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Pixeljunkie's SSDS3 was tested and it's definitely having issues with ACD games.

Sent him an email to exchange the board under warranty.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Pixeljunkie's SSDS3 was tested and it's definitely having issues with ACD games.

Sent him an email to exchange the board under warranty.

Good to hear, positive outcome for Pixeljunkie and a reflection on the company.

I’m in Australia, how does warranty work then? (Mine is not having problems, but asking out of curiosity)

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
SSDS3 Firmware update!

New UI, button layout, directory caching, seek emulation, per games bios, fixes galore and more!

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
SSDS3 Firmware update!

New UI, button layout, directory caching, seek emulation, per games bios, fixes galore and more!

Unless I missed it in the video, has there been any update to the 'In Game Trigger'? Sorry TO, but this breaks so many games I just leave it off 100% of the time anymore - it's unusable.

I know they call this an "experimental feature", but every other everdrive, hacked console, and ODE I use on a regular basis has a special keypress which gets you back to the game menu... except the SSDS3. These consoles are old as crap now. I don't like having to constantly power cycle a ~33 year old console all the time as I'm flipping through games I want to play – and that's the only way to get back to the SSDS3's menu now.

Last edited:

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Unless I missed it in the video, has there been any update to the 'In Game Trigger'? Sorry TO, but this breaks so many games I just leave it off 100% of the time anymore - it's unusable.

I know they call this an "experimental feature", but every other everdrive, hacked console, and ODE I use on a regular basis has a special keypress which gets you back to the game menu... except the SSDS3. These consoles are old as crap now. I don't like having to constantly power cycle a ~33 year old console all the time as I'm flipping through games I want to play – and that's the only way to get back to the SSDS3's menu now.

I spoke with Todd/Yodd and there has been no update to the in-game trigger. We should consider it to be deprecated. I dislike turning of my SuperGrafx as well, so that's why I bought a wireless wall power adapter. People use it for outdoor lights, but works fine on my consoles. Liked it so much I bought more and tricked out my setup so I can power on/off like a boss.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I spoke with Todd/Yodd and there has been no update to the in-game trigger. We should consider it to be deprecated. I dislike turning of my SuperGrafx as well, so that's why I bought a wireless wall power adapter. People use it for outdoor lights, but works fine on my consoles. Liked it so much I bought more and tricked out my setup so I can power on/off like a boss.

Yeah, and the CD seek emulation hasn't been updated either since the last FW rev. It's still an overall huge improvement, albeit a mostly cosmetic one. But I'll take it. The biggest confusion to me is why the unit itself doesn't have a tiny button on it to reset on the SSDS3 itself. Similar to how Krikzz does on (oh, I don't know) EVERY single device he makes.

Maybe someone will figure out a mod to add a little button at some point, that resets the power to the SSDS3 but not the console itself.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Yeah, and the CD seek emulation hasn't been updated either since the last FW rev. It's still an overall huge improvement, albeit a mostly cosmetic one. But I'll take it. The biggest confusion to me is why the unit itself doesn't have a tiny button on it to reset on the SSDS3 itself. Similar to how Krikzz does on (oh, I don't know) EVERY single device he makes.

Maybe someone will figure out a mod to add a little button at some point, that resets the power to the SSDS3 but not the console itself.

What are you talking about. CD Seek emulation is now in. The only games that aren't in sync at this point are the Sherlock Holmes games.