Why do I need a PS4 Pro?

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
With the recent price drop on the PS4 Pro it has gotten me curious on what the system has to offer. So far I can't find real master list of enhanced games and I don't own a 4K TV yet as my Panasonic Plasma is doing and looking just fine. Does anybody on here who has one see any real benefits in the 1080p enhanced options?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yea, 60 fps for games that support it. Nioh runs like a dream on a pro.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Shmups SOO MANY SHMUPS just sayin ;P If you get the pro version you will be a pro at all the shmups it offers !!! ..right...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Shmups SOO MANY SHMUPS just sayin ;P If you get the pro version you will be a pro at all the shmups it offers !!! ..right...

Am I missing something, What does this have to do with the PS4 Pro?

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
you don't. we are probably within 2 years of the PS5. Just wait. It'll have a 4k player in it too.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
If you don't own a 4K TV, there's no reason to buy one. The difference you'll see is negligible on 99% of games.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
With the recent price drop on the PS4 Pro it has gotten me curious on what the system has to offer. So far I can't find real master list of enhanced games and I don't own a 4K TV yet as my Panasonic Plasma is doing and looking just fine. Does anybody on here who has one see any real benefits in the 1080p enhanced options?

The PS4 Pro is the only PS4 with 4K. But it can't play 4K Blu-rays (God knows why), so you would need a separate player for those. I would recommend an OLED TV, as they have better color fidelity and blacks than plasma, and all OLEDs are 4K these days. It depends on your budget, but TVs usually last a long time.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
If you don't own a 4K TV, there's no reason to buy one. The difference you'll see is negligible on 99% of games.

This. The TV size also has to be in the 60" range, only then you will see the difference. Games like Uncharted 4 and Witcher 3 look glorious in 4K though.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Some games updated to 60fps and better image quality from supersampling. Also better wifi chip than OG, includes optical port missing on slim. I would say if you had an OG, it's worth the upgrade, if you have a slim don't bother.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I bought a non-Pro in the summer, since I don't have a 4K TV and don't plan to get one. Seems like only a few games are updated to take advantage of the Pro, most games will look identical anyway. I read somewhere that the Pro is better for VR but I don't have any interest in that right now. But if you are interested in VR, you might want to ask those in the know.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Am I missing something, What does this have to do with the PS4 Pro?

Everything. And nothing. I am Darkman. That was everywhere and nowhere, my bad.

Anyway.

As has been said, without a 4K tv, don't buy a Pro. You'd be getting slightly improved performance in most games and supersampling in some (very few) games.

More and more games are being patched to take advantage of it, and most that are coming out now do, at least. (but you need 4K here)

It doesn't compete particularly well with the Xbox One X, though, for what that's worth.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My Regular Ps4 slim does netflix and blu-ray just fine. If I want 60fps+ I just play on my PC lol.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
If you already own a PS4, a Pro is not worth it, unless you can sell your original console for a fair price. Still, you'd need to transfer data ... why bother? It's a console for people who don't own a PS4 yet. I'm not even sure why regular model is still in production. Damn consoles these days. I'm not buying launch consoles after the whole PS4 Pro and Xbox One X deal. Early adopters got majorly screwed over. Revisions like Xbox One S or 3DS LL and 2DS are one thing, but New 3DS, PS4 and XOX can go to hell.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I read somewhere that the Pro is better for VR but I don't have any interest in that right now. But if you are interested in VR, you might want to ask those in the know.

Yes, VR is better with the Pro. The extra processing power means a better frame rate (and less nausea).

Final Fantasy XV in particular pas a Pro setting where all the textures and everything are increased on the Pro.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I heard there's some games that actually run worse on the Pro.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I absolutely love psvr on pro. It makes me wonder if vive is even worth it of of I should just wait for a better version. Imnsobhaooy with vr, and it's just gonna get better.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
The Evil Within in boost mode is great. I don't have a 4k tv and I don't regret my purchase.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
When I decided to buy a PS4 the Pro was out so I went with the Pro, it's better right? I bought it mostly for GTSport which I haven't spent much time with.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
One advantage with Pro is also being able to utilize SSD drives. It's very costly, but it can easily be swapped for future consoles, and it will make all those fast travels less tedious in open world games (loading speed varies between 30% ~ 50% faster depending on the game)

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
If you don't already own both a PS4 and a gaming PC, definitely get one.

If you already own a PS4 and don't care about PC gaming, you're better off with an XboneX.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just get a switch and call it a day.

Yes, buy a switch so you could play games that were released 3 years ago on different platforms. Its Nintendo and portable though, right? Smart

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Yep, this thread nailed down the main points already. PS4 library is awesome, Pro is unnecessary without 4K B-R support, Switch needs a library.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
If you already own a PS4 and don't care about PC gaming, you're better off with an XboneX.

How much better is the XBoneX over the XBone? Does it fix the problem where it takes like half an hour to install a game?