Official Neo Geo Connoisseur Disc Curators Thread

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I like the way the dust sits on the box.
What's your wife have to do with this?

Back OT, here is my current NGCD collection which I intend to pare down to just the essentials.

ADK World
ASO II
Bang Bang Busters
Baseball Stars Professional
Baseball Stars 2
Brikinger
Burning Fight
Crossed Swords
Crossed Swords II
Cyber Lip
Dunk Dream
Flying Power Disc
Football Frenzy
Ghost Pilots
King of Fighters '97
Last Resort
League Bowling
Magical Drop 2
Magician Lord
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Mutation Nation
Neo Geo CD Special
Ninja Combat
Ninja Commando
Power Spikes II
Pulstar
Puzzle Bobble
Raguy
Rally Chase
Riding Hero
Savage Reign
Sengoku 2
Sonic Wings 2
Sonic Wings 3
Stakes Winner
Super Baseball 2020
Super Sidekicks
Super Sidekicks 2
Super Spy
Top Hunter
Top Player's Golf
Twinkle Star Sprites
Viewpoint
Zintrick

Last edited:

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
Another point I forgot to mention was that the Neo Geo CD has the best a/v quality of any Neo Geo system. The Neo Geo CD has the best quality RGB output of any system I have seen.

And I don't know if you saw my other post above, but again, this site has a ton of the info you're looking for:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://neogeocdworld.info/&prev=search

Just click through all the links on the left side. Translated from French but it's mostly pretty straightforward.

Better RGB quality than an AES 3-5 board recapped? And thanks for the link, I’ll check that out as well.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Better RGB quality than an AES 3-5 board recapped? And thanks for the link, I’ll check that out as well.

I've never seen that specific AES but, like I said, Neo Geo CD has the best RGB quality of any system I've ever seen.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I still play NTM preferably on the CDZ, since it saves everything & offers Scotland. A perfect place to practice Pulstar, the ost/ast discussions are priceless, too. Back in the day, it was the Neo-Geo Volkswagen: They said it couldn't be done to fit a Giga Shock fast into that RAM and...

Spoiler:
great-volkswagen-ads-basketball.jpg

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
Thanks for this thread, as my debut in this forum was based on a question about the CD and CDZ.
I'd like to ask: Is the Metal Slug 2 slowdown the same on CD as on cart?

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Thanks for this thread, as my debut in this forum was based on a question about the CD and CDZ.
I'd like to ask: Is the Metal Slug 2 slowdown the same on CD as on cart?

But x is far better than 2.

madman

Do fellow disc enthusiasts prefer the connoisseur pad or a more traditional stick like the AES or Hori while playing optical format entertainment discs? I use my Hori stick 99% of the time, but I know there are many fans of the connoisseur pad.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Do fellow disc enthusiasts prefer the connoisseur pad or a more traditional stick like the AES or Hori while playing optical format entertainment discs? I use my Hori stick 99% of the time, but I know there are many fans of the connoisseur pad.

I really like the original pad, But I built a pair of custom fight sticks with Sanwa JLF's and gold leaf buttons which I tend to use more to save wear on my pads.
Plus I like using a stick for most Neo games.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Stick with the stick. The connoisseur pad is best left in the box, preserved for future generations as an example of how not to manufacture a controller.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Late to the party on this thread, now i'm seeing it.
Because i'm not a lover of fighting games the neocd is actually a very nice little system for me, bought mine back in 1999-2000, and haven't really ever had a problem with it, loading times can be a wee bit of a pain with some games but with the collection i got it ain't a deal breaker.
The serial number of mine is 0082171, i've no idea why the serial numbers are that important but hey there you go.
I like the kidney stick myself.

IMG_20181103_200608632.jpg
IMG_20181103_201002921.jpg
IMG_20181103_201247930.jpg
IMG_20181103_201611163.jpg

cat

dat turf masters tho...

How hard is that to pick up nowaday's ???, i paid about £70 a few years back.
The english version of baseball stars seems desirable to the ngcd Connoisseur's as well.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The english version of baseball stars seems desirable to the ngcd Connoisseur's as well.

Been a long while since I've seen Turf Masters go for less than $400.

cat

That console is kinda dirty bro

Bit more than kinda, it's full of dust and been sitting on a shelf in my loft, i ain't touched it in a long while, i just pulled it out to take a pic, i'll get my feather duster to spruce it up.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
He's not very far into his quest yet, but Neo Alec has been reviewing every Neo Geo game in order and he notes the differences between AES/MVS/CD games where applicable:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_W1EM66_BruhDsODY4WcYolFMxqQn8ng

As for other differences
-Metal Slug 1 and 2 have an extra training mode and art gallery
-Neo Turf Masters has an extra course
-These games have arranged soundtracks:
Spoiler:

Art Of Fighting ~Ryuuko No Ken Gaiden~
Bakumatsu Roman – Gekka No Kenshi
Bakumatsu Roman Daini Maku – Gekka No Kenshi
Baseball Stars 2
Big Tournament Golf
Breakers[*]
Choujin Gakuen Gowcaizer
Double Dragon
Dunk Dream
Fighter’s History Dynamite
Futsal
Fuu’un Mokushiroku
Galaxy Fight
Garou Densetsu 2
Garou Densetsu 3
Garou Densetsu Special
Janshin Densetsu ~Quest Of Jongmaster~ [**]
Last Resort
Magical Drop 2
Ninja Master’s
Over Top
Power Spikes II
Pulstar
Quiz King Of Fighters
Raguy [***]
Real Bout Garou Densetsu
Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2
Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special
Ryuuko No Ken 2
Samurai Spirits
Samurai Spirits Amakusa Kourin
Samurai Spirits Zankurou Musouken
Shin Samurai Spirits
Shin’ouken
Master Of Syougi
Sonic Wings 2
Stakes Winner
Tengai Makyou Shinden
The King Of Fighters ‘94
The King Of Fighters ‘95
The King Of Fighters ’96
The King Of Fighters ’97
The King Of Fighters ’98
The King Of Fighters ’99
Tokuten Ou 2
Top Hunter
Top Player’s Golf
Tsuukai Gangan Koushinkyoku
Twinkle Star Sprites
World Heroes
World Heroes 2
World Heroes 2 Jet
World Heroes Perfect

-Cyber Lip has the same soundtrack but the volume levels have been corrected

Besides that, the main benefit of a Neo Geo CD is that many games are much, much cheaper than their AES or MVS counterparts. You can buy a Neo Geo CD and a copy of Pulstar for less than an MVS cart of Pulstar.

So for me the Neo Geo CD compliments the MVS very well. I have 23 Neo Geo CD games and 51 MVS games, no duplicates across formats. I almost always get fighting games on the MVS due to the load times. But otherwise I just get the game for whichever format it's cheaper and easier to find on.

These are the Neo Geo CD exclusives:
ADK World
Crossed Swords II
Idol Mahjong Final Romance 2
Ironclad (Brikinger)
Neo Geo CD Special
Samurai Shodown RPG
The King of Fighters '96 Collection
Zintrick

Shockingly, it's possible to own a Neo Geo CD as well as an MVS or AES. I bought the Neo CD first and I wasn't about to try to replace my cheap CD copies of games like Windjammers, Pulstar, Last Resort, Viewpoint, etc.

Of course the NeoSD is a great option now, but it wasn't around when I bought the overwhelming majority of my stuff. If you want to own legit games, MVS and CD is a killer combination.

Fuck, just took some time to go digging in and it’s very interesting. I knew of the arranged music and added video in some. Looks to me like earlier, non fighting games, are pretty equal though. It is interesting that some backgrounds had missing animations and assets though, most noteably in fighting games I’d get on cart anyway. I don’t care much about arranged music over the original chips, but a definite bonus for exclusives. Thanks for the direction.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member

The inner collectard in me would love to go for a English set just cause, seems like it would be tough (and expensive) based on others experiences. Nice games

madman

The inner collectard in me would love to go for a English set just cause, seems like it would be tough (and expensive) based on others experiences. Nice games

Good luck w/that. If you want to start with an English Riding Hero, Savage Reign and KOF 97 I can set you up. Best price. You buy!

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Good luck w/that. If you want to start with an English Riding Hero, Savage Reign and KOF 97 I can set you up. Best price. You buy!

Thanks- but I'm not gonna attempt it. Maybe if I had unlimited space and funds, but as of right now I have way too much as is. I'd rather spend the cash on a NeoSD

Jumpingmanjim

Cheng's Errand Boy
The best part of the Neo Geo CD is the juggling monkey intermission.

Look at the monkey! He's juggling!

famicommander

15 Year Member
For anybody that can, get the Unibios. Region switching at will, cheat menu, and it even slightly reduces loading times.

Jumpingmanjim

Cheng's Errand Boy
I wish the NeoBiosMastaCD was still available. Maybe the author could put it out as open source on OshPark like he did with the NeoBiosMasta so everyone can make one.