Game opinions thread (what did you play, what did you think?)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Did you play Origins before passing judgement though?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
While I 100% agree with you fully about everything you've said, it's a fucking crime you didn't mention the amazing sountrack...

The fucking base on this track had me wtfing at such a cutesy game with a badass piece like this. Also you should mention that while Yoshi's Island was a fun as hell game, The whole baby crying if you get hit isn't a thing anymore which I'm 100% fine with!

Also...

This Boss music was really good considering how cheesy the fight was. lol

Unused music:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._uploaded_lots_of_unheard_music_from_the_game

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I can't begin to describe the pain I had to go through.

The final trophy requires going through a boss-rush challenge with 40 bosses, followed by an extremely hard boss, followed by yet another TOTAL BULLSHIT boss. In a nutshell, I spent 20 hours on this trophy alone. Ffffffffffffuckkkk.

Thoughts on the game:

It felt more like a 2D darksouls than a metroidvania:

- The story is mostly unfolded through lore pieces of past events rather than being told traditionally as you play

- lots of branching quest lines / events based on your choices and the order you complete the areas in

- Dark and desolated (yet, beautiful) settings

- Very tough boss fghts

- very long game (took 50 hours to complete, not counting the boss rush thing)

I enjoyed it a lot. Just expect a very long and hard game prior to playing it. May seem too simple at first, but it gets a lot more complex as you unlock abilities and equipable relics.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Sort of breaking the rule here, but I don't know if I'll ever finish the first one and I've beaten the other two on other formats, and I want to highlight three recent releases that are all very underwhelming:

Darksiders: Genesis - the game's confusing, un-intuitive levels combined with the horrid map and the isometric camera angle make the game aggravating to play, even though the basic combat is fun. I want to like it, I want to get through it, but the last couple of times I've sat down to play it I've just ended up hating it.

Bayonetta/Vanquish Remaster - these aren't so much remasters as they are ports of the PC versions from a few years ago. Zero new assets or textures or anything. They run at 4K/60, but that's it. Vanquish is the bigger visual upgrade, but it's also aged much worse than Bayo IMO. I used to love Vanquish but now I'm not caring much for it and doubt I'll finish it again. Bayonetta is still one of my favorite games ever made, but the work on it is even more of a letdown. Unimpressive and a very questionable value proposition.

edit: both of the Platinum ports are even worse than my initial impressions. According to Digital Foundry they both run at 1440 on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, which is incredibly unimpressive. Never thought I'd say it, but this is a very bad Platinum release.

edit again: I did manage to finish Darksiders Genesis. My complaints still stand, but the last half of the game is better than the first half in that a bunch of levels are just big boss fights and the remaining regular levels are much more straightforward and logically designed. The first half, though, bad.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
EUz-HU5XsAcEe1H.jpeg

Finally! This shit had bugged me for 8 fucking years.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC / PS4 / XB1

If you played the previous two games in the rebooted series, you would know what to expect here. It improves on almost everything, especially the graphics. In some playable parts (not all), the graphics are one of the best I've seen this gen.

I still enjoyed Rise more mainly because this one lacks variety in its locations. 80% of the game is spent in jungles, while the rest are either tombs or settlements. Not that the jungle parts don't look great (they do) or share assets, but you eventually get bored from seeing the same environmental tone throughout the game.

And just like the previous two games, plenty of collectables and side quests + meh story and cutscenes.
Yes indeed, the game is really improved from the previous two games. i liked playing this game and it is really enjoyable.

orc.one

n00b
Still playing Breath of the Wild, in spite of having logged more than 250 hours into it (I believe the game itself has given up counting my time spent). Those … koroks are wily. So far, this is the best Zelda game I've played. I enjoyed Wind Waker quite a bit, but few of the others made it into my library or radar.

Since my eyes started to require cheaters, I've not played much in the way of portable games (it's tiring), but I did finally get a copy of Chrono Trigger for the DS, and am enjoying it immensely, even if I am working through it about as slowly as BotW.

I've watched R play through Breath of Fire on her Super Nt, and hope to tackle that one next.

I've also tried my hand at some Pocky and Rocky. It's incredibly charming and appealing, but turns out my button mashy approach to shooters serves poorly here.

Most of these are older games, admittedly. I can't pretend to review what dozens have reviewed before me, but these are new to me.

The Switch remake of Katamari is amazing and you need to scoop it now.

Oh, seconded, though this was the first time I actually played it. (Typically, I just watched others play.)

If you're on PC and have an RTX card you can enjoy raytracing which lifts the entire scene lighting to an amazing level.

Damn but times sure have changed. I remember waiting for hours for a single frame of raytraced imagery on SGI and DEC hardware back in the early 1990s. And waiting the same amount of time for something a tenth the resolution on a Quadra Macintosh.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
To be fair it is raytracing-lite as developers aren't including all of the possible raytracing features. If they did it would be as you said, waiting hours per frame. Alright not hours but you understand.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My friend worked on the raytracing update for Minecraft, and said you would need a beast of a computer to turn this feature on. Seems more like bragging rights than a feature.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
My friend worked on the raytracing update for Minecraft, and said you would need a beast of a computer to turn this feature on. Seems more like bragging rights than a feature.

The implementations in Battlefield V and Control are good examples of raytracing that is still playable with high end hardware.

Batman: Arkham City

I originally played it on PS3 after I had finished Arkham Asylum, really liked it but only got about halfway through...I don't know, some other game came or something and I got distracted. Fast forward to now...recently got it on PC, and wow, I really loved it. Not just a great Batman game, a great game period. Incredible atmosphere, looks amazing even by today's standards, great soundtrack, voice acting, etc. Just overall one of the best game experiences I've had in a long time.

I scored Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight during a recent Steam sale, think I paid $15 for both. I know neither one is as highly regarded as Arkham City, but I'm definitely looking forward to trying them out.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I couldn't get into it on PS4 because the FOV was giving me one hell of a nausea. I usually get it with FPS games, but even with third person games, if the FOV is too narrow, I get motion sickness (Day Gone has the same issue).

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Platinumed RE2 Remake. Required many playthroughs, so I found the infinite ammo DLC on sale ($2) and said fuck it and used it after my third playthrough. A speed run only gave me a lame ass infinite regular handgun.

One thing I noticed, that one wouldn't try while playing normally, is how detailed a zombie's body parts can get severed while being shot repeatedly. You can see the part slowly getting hollowed and guts coming out from the exact point you are targeting. Call me a sick fuck, but I find it very satisfying lol.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Finished NG+ on Bloodborne with the true ending (second time I've gotten that ending now, as the trophy glitched and didn't pop for me the first time and the two true final bosses are my two favorites in the game anyway) as well as all of The Old Hunters DLC. There are still a few annoying aspects to it, i.e. Frenzy, Micolash, The Nightmare Frontier, but there are so many positives that easily outweigh the negatives and then some. It's easily From's best game, IMO, as well as arguably the pinnacle of the genre.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Bioshock Collection:

Played through 1 and although the character animation seemed stuck in the past, the improved framerate and lighting really makes a difference. I've probably played through this game 10 times (that's not an exaggeration), but experiencing it like this was total bliss even if I felt some quality of life improvements should have been made.

Bioshock 2 has aged well. In my opinion this is the pinnacle of refinement for the gameplay of the series. I really appreciated it a lot more this time and although I think the original is more atmospheric (story and voice acting is A+ imo) the sequel is so much better in the gameplay department. Not to say the other stuff isn't done well but the sequel is more fun. This was only my second time ever playing the game.

The Minerva's Den DLC was also really impressive. I had no expectations but after playing through I feel I missed out on an awesome experience.

I don't know if I'm going to play BioShock infinite again. I actually downloaded the DLC fairly recent for my 360 and it's still pretty fresh in my mind.

I'm not sure what Bioshock 4 is going to be like but I'm looking forward to it. I know Ken Levine is not attached but that doesn't mean I won't give it a shot.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Bioshock Collection:

Played through 1 and although the character animation seemed stuck in the past, the improved framerate and lighting really makes a difference. I've probably played through this game 10 times (that's not an exaggeration), but experiencing it like this was total bliss even if I felt some quality of life improvements should have been made.

Bioshock 2 has aged well. In my opinion this is the pinnacle of refinement for the gameplay of the series. I really appreciated it a lot more this time and although I think the original is more atmospheric (story and voice acting is A+ imo) the sequel is so much better in the gameplay department. Not to say the other stuff isn't done well but the sequel is more fun. This was only my second time ever playing the game.

The Minerva's Den DLC was also really impressive. I had no expectations but after playing through I feel I missed out on an awesome experience.

I don't know if I'm going to play BioShock infinite again. I actually downloaded the DLC fairly recent for my 360 and it's still pretty fresh in my mind.

I'm not sure what Bioshock 4 is going to be like but I'm looking forward to it. I know Ken Levine is not attached but that doesn't mean I won't give it a shot.

Loved this collection, played through the first one a month or so ago. The only thing I didn't like about the collection was that, at least on my PS4 Pro, if I click the PS button to check messages or see trophies, the game would freeze and crash about 20% of the time. Not sure if that happened with you

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Loved this collection, played through the first one a month or so ago. The only thing I didn't like about the collection was that, at least on my PS4 Pro, if I click the PS button to check messages or see trophies, the game would freeze and crash about 20% of the time. Not sure if that happened with you

I played it on the standard issued PS4 and I didn't have that problem. But God forbid if I had to open a map and try to navigate it. It chugged so bad. I feel this collection could have been a little bit better if they put more time into polishing it. I can see why it was rated low 8s and high 7s, but I didn't find anything game-breaking. Glad you enjoyed it too. If anyone here hasn't tried the collection they should go for it.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Megaman Zero/ZX Collection- Got the switch version. Playing it straight through without using much of the special features like the easy mode. All six games play really solid, they did a great job with the port of the games themselves. As for content, this thing is loaded with it. I play with the music player a lot since both series has some of the best music in the franchise especially ZX. Theres other online features i havent used much yet but I'll get there soon.

Anyways can easily recommend for fans for the franchise or genre. Especially at its $30 price tag.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Seeing ZX / ZX Advent being ported, along with Mighty Switch Force, gives me hope that we will see the DS Castlevanias on home consoles.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Everyone's Gone to Rapture

This was on PS Now so I gave it a go. This is part of the genre they call, "walking simulator". It removes the puzzles and inventory out of the classic point-and-click type stuff/Myst style games. There aren't choices to be made. It straight up wants you to experience the world it's built upon and tell a story. That's it. Nothing else.

As a game, it's complete ass. I don't think I could ever get myself to recommend this game. I wanted to love it really. There is something here to love, I promise you that, but to be able to recommend it to someone without the glaring shitstains is impossible.

What does it do well? It tells a good story and I like how it does it with the light orb thing dancing around and the dialogue. I really felt I was transported to this fictional English countryside village. The houses, the wheat fields, the local pub all reminded me of my trip to England to see a friend that worked in the North (by Kent). The graphics are good enough, though aged by 2020 standards I still found it somewhat impressive.

The voice acting is superb, the story is good (I can't say great, but damn good, hits the feels), and the music is serene and fitting. It has moments of brilliance. I can't help but shake the feeling this was a consultant or game tester away from being a better experience. It's not much of a game and I took that into consideration. I accepted the game for what it is but even then I'm just puzzled with the choices they made.

You walk at a fucking snails pace, in fact, you walk slower than you would in real life. It's frustrating as fuck. Especially when I got a bit lost and had to backtrack all the way back to where I was previously, easily costing me another hour. Later of course I find out after watching a game review there's a hidden sprint feature (hold R2 for 7 seconds), the game made no mention of this at all. Why hide this? What kind of fat smelly cunt does this shit?

Don't play it, but I guess if you're bored and don't want to get too involved with twitchy gameplay and frag fests and shit, then I guess fire it up. But for the most part, look for something more engaging and well done in the "walking simulator"/arty indie genre.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

- haven't had this much fun with a metroidvania since Dawn of Sorrow. If you're into completion lists, the game is packed with content and secrets

- Backgrounds are the main issue holding this game back from being on par with the better metroid-Castlevania's (SotN / DoS are my favourites). They range from generic to good. They are varied and each area feels distinct though.

- Still has lots of these quirky details / secrets too

- Music is great

- I wish 2D portraits were used during conversations

- Lots of ways to break the combat (haven't tried hard mode)

8.5 / 10

PS: Used to hear a lot of complaints about glitches. Didn't face any serious issues with the current build outside of crashing twice after long sessions

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

- haven't had this much fun with a metroidvania since Dawn of Sorrow. If you're into completion lists, the game is packed with content and secrets

- Backgrounds are the main issue holding this game back from being on par with the better metroid-Castlevania's (SotN / DoS are my favourites). They range from generic to good. They are varied and each area feels distinct though.

- Still has lots of these quirky details / secrets too

- Music is great

- I wish 2D portraits were used during conversations

- Lots of ways to break the combat (haven't tried hard mode)

8.5 / 10

PS: Used to hear a lot of complaints about glitches. Didn't face any serious issues with the current build outside of crashing twice after long sessions

I've been wanting to play this for a while but I'm so entrenched with other games at the moment. Thanks for the review though.

I'm currently balls deep into Hollow Knight.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I'm currently balls deep into Hollow Knight.

Still having PTSD from that last optional bit. Stressful as fuck. The Steam achievements list is even way more bullshit. I feel sorry for anyone attempting that.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Seeing ZX / ZX Advent being ported, along with Mighty Switch Force, gives me hope that we will see the DS Castlevanias on home consoles.

I missed out on both the GBA and DS offerings of Castlevania, so I would like it if they ported them over on the newer consoles so I can give them a try.