What Would You Think Of Licensed Reissue Carts?

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
I think clearly marked would be a must.

SNK is basically a licensing business these day right? Would it being made by "SNK" really matter rather than some third party who: 1. have exclusive rights 2. do a really good job?

The actual manufacturer doesn't matter I guess. What I mean is I would prefer SNK to be the lead and the carts to be accurate except for the print run markings.

I don't think re-releases would make me stop collecting original carts. They would just be much easier to buy and find.

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Sure why not, but only if MSV carts are produced also. There are retro arcades popping up every where. I would love to see old and new games come out for the neogeo.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I would be in favor of SNK releasing exact replicas of the rarest games, starting with Metal Slug. The ensuing drama would be very entertaining.

It would be amusing to watch nerds analyze plastics to determine if they were made in 1996 or 2019. Carbon dating for videogames.

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It would be amusing to watch nerds analyze plastics to determine if they were made in 1996 or 2019. Carbon dating for videogames.

Lol... I'm sure the noobs would figure it out.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Sure why not, but only if MSV carts are produced also. There are retro arcades popping up every where. I would love to see old and new games come out for the neogeo.

hahaha this is even LESS likely

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The penises are hard and dripping in this thread... circle jerk fantasy!

AirZonk

n00b
I think it would be a good idea as long there would be a slight difference to the reissues and the pricing wasn't too crazy. If SNK doesn't want to do it maybe get Limited Run Games on it? They have a relationship with SNK after releasing KOF 97 on PS4 and Vita.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
This. If collectors are buying up carts like Gleylancer Reissue, it would not surprise me that these would sell. It's not for me either. If I was still into collecting/playing original Neo Aes games, I would still shoot for buying the originals because that's just the way I am. Thankfully I'm not into collecting games any more. Thank you TerraOnion and Krizz for saving me money.

Basically this.

I’d buy it though

I feel like with todays technology and chips it would be cheaper to manufacture a neo cart than it was back in the day

It would be. But quantities would be much smaller, so likely prices would be equivalent or higher.

I think it would be a good idea as long there would be a slight difference to the reissues and the pricing wasn't too crazy

What would be the correct pricing?

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Let people spend their money on whatever they want. After we die it is all dust in the wind anyways. People who want to play and pay for real carts are going to do just that, and people who want to buy boots and/or reprints are going to do it and be happy as well. If you think that SNK blessed Reprints of games are going to effect your "retirement fund" of videogame collectables.... time to diversify.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Hilarious topic. This will NEVER happen!

I wouldn't say never. I think everyone said the same thing for NES, SNES, and Gameboy carts. All of that happened. Officially.

AES carts would likely still be priced at $300-600 due to low volume, and people would still buy them. How much does it cost ngdev to just manufacture? I have no idea.....

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
It's still a bootleg.

I wouldn't say never.

Both of these comments sum it up best.
Because first, yes, anything is possible. Never say never. These days the possibilities of what companies & individuals can do are limitless. With enough interest and/or enough money involved, anything can happen.
But second, no matter what was to be done, or how it was done, and no matter what the cost, nor how accurate & professionally executed, it would not be the original 1990-2004 product, and therefore by definition, it wouldn’t be the same and merely an aftermarket reproduction item.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
As long as there is something on the art and the cart label to indicate it is different than the original.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
It'd be cool but so niche I can't see it being worth it. Personally I think you have to do it from the point of view of retrospective/anniversary versions with interviews/materials that honoured the work/scenes/personalities around these games - give it context, reproduce what was good, but respect the original.

But, you know what it is: For now they'd be better off continuing and improving their port, mini console efforts and general brand awareness/marketing efforts.

You never know... once a second bunch of retro loving kids grow up there might be enough people with the disposables that want to really burn some cash on some new old games and the whole thing will be finally feasible... 20 years from now it'll be like buying a repro art piece - both cool and tragic.

But at least these games were products that were meant to be (officially) copied and distributed, which for me helps combat the 'it's just a boot' arguement somewhat (presuming it is done well)... It's not like buying a Da Vinci painting copy, more like a Duchamp urinal.

In that context it'd be kind of cool if we could somehow achieve that dream of valuing these games, but not going too bonkers over the original (copies).

Galdius

n00b
I think there would be a market for it if they released the correct titles.
Capcom approved a rerelease of Street Fighter II for the SNES and it sold very well.
Right now a sealed copy doesn't go for as much as a regular sealed Street Fighter 2 copy but it sells for more than the original retail price.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The price for sealed SF2 is artificially inflated by retards. I couldn't even get $20 for my open but complete copy of it.

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
I'd be cool with it. I don't care if they're marked special or not. I'd be ok with some marking to not fuck collectors but small and out of the way like a thin banner across the top...but if that EVER happens, they better fucking rerelease the damn console too.

The real question is would they still cost $300 - $500 a pop at launch or have a more relaxed pricing scheme. Realistically collectors would probably buy them either way but the market would again be closed off to casuals.