Starting my Hyper series for YT shooting soon - anyone want anything in particular?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Since this is THE Neo Geo site, i'll let you guys tell me if there is anything of interest you want to see.

Plan is

Intro video : hardware overview of the various iterations of the hardware. Chip overview / game cart overview / I/O board overview, talk about the fact the CPU is basically the same as the N64.

Show off what came in the kits, etc

Video 2-8 : All seven games. Still need to wire up a wheel for the two driving games but otherwise I have a fullset

For the fighting games I'll talk about the mechanics as well as the history and any ports (which is just Fatal Fury WA)

Video 9 : graphical comparison to contemporary hardware and a "what happened...why did it fail" close out vid

Just tell me what you think!

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Buriki deserves special attention in my opinion. Such a unique fighting game that many have never seen. Tons of moves and many have unique circumstances. The kickboxer for example has a follow up kick he can do only if the first kick misses, quite a few have character specific counter moves against grapplers etc.

Showing off the panel would be good, you can see how the controls were meant. You still use left hand to move your character and the right hand for move inputs, they just swapped which hand uses buttons/stick.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Buriki deserves special attention in my opinion. Such a unique fighting game that many have never seen. Tons of moves and many have unique circumstances. The kickboxer for example has a follow up kick he can do only if the first kick misses, quite a few have character specific counter moves against grapplers etc.

Showing off the panel would be good, you can see how the controls were meant. You still use left hand to move your character and the right hand for move inputs, they just swapped which hand uses buttons/stick.

I had planned on discussing the controls of Buriki in depth since it’s so unique. I don’t have a CP but maybe I can find someone who can shoot one for me. I don’t use photos from online in the videos so sometimes I am limited to what I can produce in house.

I need to capture a bit more Buriki. I can’t show the entire roster (time wise) but my primary capture was the boxing character as he “clicked” the most with me control wise

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Looking forward to it! Wouldn't mind a video on the driving wiring too.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Looking forward to it! Wouldn't mind a video on the driving wiring too.

You’ll get four of those Lolol

Not in the hyper playlist but on the “on a technicality” I do a conversion series on the driving games, just like I did with Beast Busters. They will play before the actual season on the Hyper though...kinda HYPE it up ;) bam dad joke

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
How about featuring the FFWA port? IIRC Hyper hardware was interlaced, the PS1 port was not only 60fps but also progressive.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
How about featuring the FFWA port? IIRC Hyper hardware was interlaced, the PS1 port was not only 60fps but also progressive.

I will be showing the FFWA port in the "graphical comparison" episode, putting the Hyper up against contemporary pcb's and home consoles.

Now if I could just figure out WHAT gpu the stupid thing uses. It's literally unknown per what I can find, which is a real weird scenario.

Has anyone ever come across a spec sheet? People love hearing polygon per second numbers and stuff like that

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Did you ever find somebody to send you a hyperboard to take apart?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Did you ever find somebody to send you a hyperboard to take apart?

I did not. Neither of my mobo cases will separate. Removed every screw, but they will not move. Slid a thin flat head in the grooves between the metal and slightly torqued everything...just started to slightly deform the metal.

Not sure if they are glued or over time they have fused somehow, but I did not see a way to separate the halves without a) being destructive or b) breaking my stuff

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
It's almost like, over time, with the screws being so tight that the metal has cold welded itself together

it's the weirdest thing but they will not come apart

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Have you tried the OSSC with the Hyper Neo? I have to use the Framemeister because the OSSC can't keep the sync. I use the Framemeister for all video capture anyway, since my capture card naturally won't work with the OSSC.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Have you tried the OSSC with the Hyper Neo? I have to use the Framemeister because the OSSC can't keep the sync. I use the Framemeister for all video capture anyway, since my capture card naturally won't work with the OSSC.

No I only own a Framemeister so I haven't tested anything with OSSC. Weird the OSSC wont sync though...my impression is it wasn't too finicky of a refresh rate. I don't even have to adjust my sync level settings on the Framemeister (where I had to on the CPS 2)

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Yeah, the Hyper is the only thing I've thrown at the OSSC that it won't take. I'm sending it through my RGB supergun with a Jrok sync cleaner. Works fine with the Framemeister.

Luckily the Framemeister is currently the last word for capturing, so you are good to go for your series.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Yeah, the Hyper is the only thing I've thrown at the OSSC that it won't take. I'm sending it through my RGB supergun with a Jrok sync cleaner. Works fine with the Framemeister.

Luckily the Framemeister is currently the last word for capturing, so you are good to go for your series.

If you have a pvm maybe you could take the rgb our signal into the OSSC? I’ve had decent luck dealing with minor sync issues on the Framemeister using this route. I’m not 100% sure what the pvm is doing to the signal but there must be some internal sync rate massaging going on. On my CPS2 the Framemeister will skip a single frame and show a “blip” every 30 or so seconds...run the signal through my pvm and it never happens

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Interesting. I don't have a PVM though and since I have a Framemeister there's really no need to do it.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Interesting. I don't have a PVM though and since I have a Framemeister there's really no need to do it.

Normally I use my PVM to capture light gun games, but I learned via that method it helps deal with sync issues. The PVM's seem to have the ability to handle some weird non-standard sync rates, but they will output a standard sync to the framemeister

Unscientific research though...just what I had noticed

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Awesome! I’m looking forward to this. I love the HNG64 and still play a lot of Buriki and FF:WA. I wished that Buriki would have received a port back in the day just like Wild Ambition did (though a port to the dreamcast rather than ps1 would have been better). It’ll be good to see the hardware and it’s limited library get a little more exposure too. :buttrock:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I’m surprised all the games weren’t ported to be honest considering SNK took a huge loss on the hardware. You’d think they’d have tried to port them to everything just to make as much back on the loss as possible

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Agreed, though Buriki One might have had trouble finding an audience on consoles. It's better suited to an arcade setting, where it's easy to demonstrate what the game is.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Agreed, though Buriki One might have had trouble finding an audience on consoles. It's better suited to an arcade setting, where it's easy to demonstrate what the game is.

I could see that. I need to replay the game for capture as is. Not for more footage but I wanted to get some video of the controls as I play. Pop a small video in the corner over some of the gameplay to better articulate exactly how the controls work

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Just finished converting the Microsoft Precision Wheel to work with the Hyper...never again! Wire routing was a nightmare...wheel had so little empty space in it, getting everything laying down nicely and routed was a pain in the ass! So much so that I finished and haven't even tested it on the pcb yet...not today satan lolol

But seriously, I don't think I'll attempt another home to arcade wheel conversion. Beast Busters was way easier in comparison. Flight stick vs wheel...flight stick had so much spare room for cable routing

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Damn. Well, I'm looking forward to this at least.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Damn. Well, I'm looking forward to this at least.

I am editing part 4 now. Its a four parter. 1) Converting the mobo to a different I/O (end of video its not a success lol, but I left it like that to show the thinking work process) 2) finishing the "conversion" and boot testing both games 3) Brake pedals 4) wheel and test

Still haven't tested

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
0.jpg

All wired up minus the connectors into the motherboard. Still have to do some pin hunting as my I/O doesn't have the front JST connectors (which the pin out is known for) but just the I/O pcb connectors, so I am doing it visually in a bit of guess work.

All works with quick disconnect DB15 ports. So I can have a harness stored with the PCB, and the wheel + pedal somewhere else. In hindsight I wish I had made it DB9 for Pedals and DB 9 for wheel, with two quick disconnects so I could store wheel and pedal separately, but I didn't have the parts lying around and it was over $20 to order vs just using the DB15 ports I had lying around. It'll probably annoy me and ill "fix" it at some point.

Just need to wire into the Hyper and test. Another day lol. Sick of this project

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
oh and the shrink tubing on some of the wires is just so I know what my pinout is. Only had six colors of wire to work with and didn't feel like buying spools of random wire to color map it.

It's a good use of shrink tube if anyone else ever has the need. Toss a color on and you can double (or toss two colors on and you can triple) your available wire color "types" on the fly