So I have a stack of 5 Bootleg games...what now?

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
So over the period of the past few years i've ended up with 5 bootleg and not working correctly games. Anything from audio issues, to video glitches.

What can I do with these boards? Make other boots to play for myself? I obviously won't sell them, just want to know if there is any use I could have for them?

I'll post pics of the boards of course. Here's the list of the boots I have, would be very interested if there is anything I can do with these? At this point they are garbage so it would be nice if I could have some use for them?!

The list of games is as follows:

Puzzle Bobble (3 Copies of this!)
Aero Fighters 2
Neo Cup 98

Looks to be a couple different board styles.

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
Pics of Boards:

Puzzle Bobble boot 1puzzbobble_a.jpg
Puzzle Bobble boot 2puzzbobble_b.jpg
Puzzle Bobble boot 3puzzbobble_c.jpg
Aero Fighters 2aerofighters2.jpg
Neo Cup 98neocup98.jpg

Last edited:

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
I'd love to make one into a copy of Crossed Swords 2 at the least. I figure at this point they are for parts/junk.

I'm starting the process of exploring how to do this. It's new to me, but not something that seems to hard to learn how to do. I can solder, including surface mount stuff, and am not shy about diving in to learn whatever software and hardware i'd need to do it. I figure a fun project while i'm stuck working from home.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Take a look at MVS Scans to see what other NG games use the same donor boards. Once you pick out a target game, match up the jumper settings on the donor PCBs, desolder the EPROMs, erase & reprogram them, and solder them back in.

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
Take a look at MVS Scans to see what other NG games use the same donor boards. Once you pick out a target game, match up the jumper settings on the donor PCBs, desolder the EPROMs, erase & reprogram them, and solder them back in.

I kinda thought that was the case, seems fairly straightforwarded.

Any recommend hardware for burning eeproms and clearing eproms? I know there are tons out there.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
The eraser is easy. Just check for EPROM eraser on EBay or AliExpress and you should fine one for between $10-20. The common ones are a blue plastic box with a tray in the front and a timer. That’s what I use.

The EPROM programmer is more difficult. NG carts use 42 pin EPROMs and a lot of the cheap programmers either can’t handle them, or have to program them in multiple passes. I personally use and recommend the Wellon VP-598. It’ll handle these chips plus pretty much anything else you can throw at it. It typically costs between $200-$300 for one.

That said, I can program EPROMs for you (and anyone else) for the cost of shipping.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Luckily those are all official SNK boards, so there is a lot you can do with them if you're up for the desoldering.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
You can build any game on any board as long as it has available memory and you understand the jumpers. Some games will also need roms split or merged to fit a certain board

I’ve built and played all the protons and would recommend.

Ironclad
Ghostlop
Bang2Busters
Crossed Swords 2

The rest are shit.

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
You can build any game on any board as long as it has available memory and you understand the jumpers. Some games will also need roms split or merged to fit a certain board

I’ve built and played all the protons and would recommend.

Ironclad
Ghostlop
Bang2Busters
Crossed Swords 2

The rest are shit.

Yeah Crossed Swords 2 was one I definitely wanted to do. Looks like down the rabbit hole I go...I have a copy of Ironclad already and that's a solid game for sure. I'll have to try the other two in emulation to see if I want to do those or not. Compare boards etc.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
If I knew how to build any game, I'd probably go for Ghostlop as my first choice. It's not just a good puzzle game, it's an incredible puzzle game (still can't believe it's just a proto).

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
If I knew how to build any game, I'd probably go for Ghostlop as my first choice. It's not just a good puzzle game, it's an incredible puzzle game (still can't believe it's just a proto).

Agreed, but now I have a crapload of desoldering to do! The good news is all the boards are in decent shape. The only one I think is shot is the one Puzzle Bobble boot with the PROG16 board. There are all sorts of cobbed repairs of pads and traces. I'm using that one to desolder first as a trial run to get a good system in place before I tackle all the others.

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
Someone knows a little guide/tutorial for programing or do MVS carts with eproms on oficial boards?

I have a TL866CS programer with adapter for 42 pins and jumpers to program in 8 sections/steps of the eproms 27c322

I do Genesis/Megadrive repros because see info how to do but never found for neogeo MVS.

Last edited: