The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Karou - not sure what you are looking for - explanation of the "real" name of the virus?

First called "novel coronavirus". IE, a "new" coronavirus; one currently unknown to modern medicine.
Coronaviruses are a type of virus that focus on respiratory systems. There are (7) current (in the world) coronaviruses.

Some people call it "corona" or the "coronavirus" - we all know what they mean, but from a scientific view, what we're all discussing is 1 of 7 cv's.

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) is the nomenclature assigned by the WHO in January. As more was learned about the way the disease behaves it is a close relative of the SARS disease (COV-SARS). COVID-19 since February in the scientific community has been named "COV-SARS-2". It means same thing as COVID-19. COVID-19 will be the commonplace name of the disease. COV-SARS-2 is what will show up in science journals or lab results.

SARS, a zoonotic coronavirus (CV coming from animal transmission) came to humans from the Masked Palm Civet. It is now believed COVID-19 originated from Pangolin's (and not bats or snakes) - another reason to associate closely with SARS.

------------------------------------------

I like Muhammad Ali a lot. Great showman - when focused, one of the most elusive and timely/smart boxers ever at any weight class. 21yo Mike Tyson would destroy Ali at any age. Ali is the better talker, better personality, better all-around boxer, but a 21yo Mike is the only person who could give God a run for the money. Most lethal boxer the world has known.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Ok..but was hoping for more official junk. I thought one of your posts made it seem like you are in the medical field so there for could shed light on the cause of death exaggeration hoax or some stuff..oh well whatever like everybody else I just don't like it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I am confused. Is it a bio-weapon or related to 5G or both?

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Ok..but was hoping for more official junk. I thought one of your posts made it seem like you are in the medical field so there for could shed light on the cause of death exaggeration hoax or some stuff..oh well whatever like everybody else I just don't like it.

My personal fear of COVID-19 is the same fear level I have for heart disease, seasonal flu, or a car accident. It is likely final 2020 death totals from COVID-19 will be on par with a moderate to high seasonal flu, both in the US and in the world. I personally feel a tiered response would have been much more appropriate and not caused near the economic harm.

80% of US ICU beds are in use during normal times (I assume that number is close for other parts of the world). When COVID patients take up 40% of your ICU beds, now you're at 120%, like we're seeing in New York and parts of Detroit and New Orleans. For this reason, not because of COVID on it's own, but a totality of how quickly COVID can spread and already running at 80% capacity, it was imperative to slow the spread (flatten the curve). That is happening in most places that are doing some level of distancing and precaution.

It would have been wiser, in my opinion, to restrict visitation to nursing homes and encourage those who are elderly or immuno-compromised to be given a waiver to miss work w/o retribution or finanical hardship. Whether people want to believe it or not, every reputable organization puts this at 1-3% mortality and suggest it could be much lower (no one suggests it is higher). Of that 3%, over 90% of deaths are very old, or very sick, or both. I'm not saying those people shouldn't be protected (they should) but it should have been and should still be a tiered response. The government now has vested (more than before) stake in airlines, tourism, and multiple other entities - and that is in a mostly free society. The effects on moderate democracies is staggering and it will be some years before we truly understand the financial and freedom impact of this overreaction. I don't blame Trump - he cowtowed to media, democrat pressure, and public opinion - never formulating an actual planned response, it seemed and still seems make-it-up-as-I-go. It's truly our lives being played with as the wind blows. The right wants him to about face and call off the quarantine, the left wants more of it and more stimulus. My guess is he will continue to waffle back and forth which means we get the negatives of both viewpoints. Hurrah.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Oh yeah totally, NY hospitals are filled to over capacity fighting the flu every year.
Totally normal

Every year they have to dig up mass graves and get refrigeration trailers to toss the dead in
Totally normal

The president doesn't really shut-down or open up shit.
Next week he says to open everything up and the business or governors say no what happens then?
Mostly he provides leadership and guidance.

Comparison with other viruses

For comparison, the case fatality rate with seasonal flu in the United States is less than 0.1% (1 death per every 1,000 cases).

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I like Muhammad Ali a lot. Great showman - when focused, one of the most elusive and timely/smart boxers ever at any weight class. 21yo Mike Tyson would destroy Ali at any age. Ali is the better talker, better personality, better all-around boxer, but a 21yo Mike is the only person who could give God a run for the money. Most lethal boxer the world has known.

It's only a couple minute vid. Won't take up much of your time. Give it a watch.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I don't know where this guy gets his energy from.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Oh yeah totally, NY hospitals are filled to over capacity fighting the flu every year.
Totally normal

Every year they have to dig up mass graves and get refrigeration trailers to toss the dead in
Totally normal

The president doesn't really shut-down or open up shit.
Next week he says to open everything up and the business or governors say no what happens then?
Mostly he provides leadership and guidance.

Comparison with other viruses

For comparison, the case fatality rate with seasonal flu in the United States is less than 0.1% (1 death per every 1,000 cases).

mrjmr25 deserves a better rebuttal than this for his well reasoned post.

He even talked about the impact that COVID is an additional load on a system running at 80% capacity, so your sarcasm seems misdirected.

As for that 'mass grave'...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mass-graves-covid-19-deaths/

Hmmm, 25 a day to 25 a week, a 7x increase, sounds like maybe the 1-3% rate might even be low! I would be interested to know the demographic makeup of unclaimed people, I'm assuming two significant groups are the homeless and the elderly that have outlived most other family. Two groups that are probably pretty high risk coronavirus cases.

Seasonal flu is extremely widespread, thus even at 0.1%, kills an average of 30,000 per year. We don't really do a damn thing (socially/politically/economically) about it to prevents its spread. We have a vaccine, we remind people to wash their hands, that's about it. However, even as recently as the 2017/18 flu season, the CDC estimated that 80,000 people died of flu. Do you remember that? I sure don't.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/health/flu-deaths-2017--2018-cdc-bn/index.html

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
My post was an official release from China about the origins of the virus.. but I guess it was tossed. Article is at dailymail.com

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...lab-experimented-coronavirus-source-bats.html

I have proof that they changed the title of the article and removed some of the info from the body of the article to say something different.. someone screwed up.

That shit was done from 2012-2017. Obama,Hillary.

Oh man could I go on and on and on and on.. but you'll hear about it anyways soon I hope.. as some people should be hung for Treason!

I'm interested in how you feel each time you make a wild prediction that doesn't come to pass? Like the huge news a couple of days ago that newsreaders had to take a day off to mentally prepare for, or conflicting sources saying it's from a north carolina lab then next day it's from a wuhan lab, or any number of things you've said that have either time lapsed or common sense lapsed?

Short version - is there any limit on the amount of times your sources can get things wrong before you question them or is it blind faith to the end?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm interested in how you feel each time you make a wild prediction that doesn't come to pass? Like the huge news a couple of days ago that newsreaders had to take a day off to mentally prepare for, or conflicting sources saying it's from a north carolina lab then next day it's from a wuhan lab, or any number of things you've said that have either time lapsed or common sense lapsed?

Short version - is there any limit on the amount of times your sources can get things wrong before you question them or is it blind faith to the end?

Conspiracy Man's superpower is swiftly moving on to the next ridiculous theory with nary a second thought.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Seasonal flu is extremely widespread, thus even at 0.1%, kills an average of 30,000 per year. We don't really do a damn thing (socially/politically/economically) about it to prevents its spread. We have a vaccine, we remind people to wash their hands, that's about it. However, even as recently as the 2017/18 flu season, the CDC estimated that 80,000 people died of flu. Do you remember that? I sure don't.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/health/flu-deaths-2017--2018-cdc-bn/index.html

Can you think of some reasons for why every country has taken such drastic measures to control the virus?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Is this whataboutism?

lithy

20 Year Member
Can you think of some reasons for why every country has taken such drastic measures to control the virus?

I have my thoughts, but most importantly, I would suggest that not every country has taken the same measures. I'm not arguing for no reaction, I'm arguing for measured reaction.

Is this whataboutism?

It wasn't meant to be. Coronavirus is serious, but I thought bringing a sense of scale into the conversation would be helpful to frame it. As it stands we are at 22k+ deaths and climbing. I honestly didn't not know or remember that flu season was so bad in recent memory. And again, what did we do about it? Why is the reaction is so different? Old people are considered collateral damage most years, why is this different?

It's a guy who'd be OK with a few million people dying because he's not working now.

Nah, I'm ok with the no work part.

lithy

20 Year Member
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator

Well, we all know you can't drink tap water because the fluoride is the nanotech receiver that the 5G activator pings to destroy your body's immunoresponse.

Cold, austere detachment from the human condition is a libtardtarian hallmark

Isn't this n-g.com? Thought I'd find more like minded individuals here.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It wasn't meant to be. Coronavirus is serious, but I thought bringing a sense of scale into the conversation would be helpful to frame it. As it stands we are at 22k+ deaths and climbing. I honestly didn't not know or remember that flu season was so bad in recent memory. And again, what did we do about it? Why is the reaction is so different? Old people are considered collateral damage most years, why is this different?

We don't know what the scale would be if this is not handled as seriously as we have. But we can look to countries like Italy where people don't take shit seriously, except for football and pizza, and their situation is on scale, probably worse than the USA.
(https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Cases USA:1695/mil vs Italy:2586/mil;
Deaths USA:67/mil vs Italy 329/mil)

So framing it within the scope of influenza is questionable, because we don't know enough about it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

It's the difference between thousands and millions of people dying.

The other thing is, there is no vaccine. There is no cure unless you can wait it out. And it's very easy to transmit the virus.

This virus has disrupted life for every person on Earth. It's fair to say most are upset. It'll be almost three months now that Chinese media finally was allowed to talk about it, and life is not yet back to normal. I am certainly scared how long life will take to get back to normal in America.

lithy

20 Year Member
We don't know what the scale would be if this is not handled as seriously as we have. But we can look to countries like Italy where people don't take shit seriously, except for football and pizza, and their situation is on scale, probably worse than the USA.
(https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Cases USA:1695/mil vs Italy:2586/mil;
Deaths USA:67/mil vs Italy 329/mil)

So framing it within the scope of influenza is questionable, because we don't know enough about it.

Fair enough.

It's the difference between thousands and millions of people dying.

The other thing is, there is no vaccine. There is no cure unless you can wait it out. And it's very easy to transmit the virus.

This virus has disrupted life for every person on Earth. It's fair to say most are upset. It'll be almost three months now that Chinese media finally was allowed to talk about it, and life is not yet back to normal. I am certainly scared how long life will take to get back to normal in America.

You keep saying it, but we just don't know if it is the difference between thousands and millions or if what we are doing (full closure) is having a notable impact over alternatives (suggested distancing, urge caution, wash hands, etc.) the data isn't there yet. You can suggest that millions would have died, but we currently don't know real infection rates and caseloads around the world are skewed significantly by availability of testing (and truthfulness of governments). If the mortality rate drops because lots of people who were presumed to have avoided infection (and thus would be modeled as people that could have died if infected) instead actually got it, displayed no symptoms, and now have antibodies, then the suggestion that millions would have died has to be revised downward. My understanding is that antibody testing is just starting, we may have a lot more info on this in the next weeks and certainly within the next months.

It actually isn't very easy to transmit this virus. Its droplet precaution. It isn't full hazmat suit. I know there is lots of focus on how long it can live on cardboard or surfaces or whatever because now everyone is ordering their life through Amazon, but the transmission rates drop dramatically when it isn't someone coughing in your face.

lithy

20 Year Member
It's a guy who'd be OK with a few million people dying because he's not working now.

By the by, since I was curious, it looks like about 50 million people die every year.