N64 Wrestling Games

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Some of the most fun I had gaming was back in college with 4 player Mario Kart, Smash Bros and of course wrestling games.

It’s been so long but I think we only played the WCW ones...I think World Tour and Revenge.

Thinking of getting a wrestling game again. Probably will get Revenge. But I never played the WWF ones...any of those worth checking out? What are your personal favorites.

I should note that I don’t know anything about professional wrestling - everything I know about wrestling I learned from the 80s cartoon...

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Some of the most fun I had gaming was back in college with 4 player Mario Kart, Smash Bros and of course wrestling games.

It’s been so long but I think we only played the WCW ones...I think World Tour and Revenge.

Thinking of getting a wrestling game again. Probably will get Revenge. But I never played the WWF ones...any of those worth checking out? What are your personal favorites.

I should note that I don’t know anything about professional wrestling - everything I know about wrestling I learned from the 80s cartoon...

WWF No Mercy.

The only wrestling game you need to own on the N64 imo.

Me and my bro had hours of fun on that.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I had two games for the N64, the first one was Wrestlemania 2000 & the other was No Mercy. Really the only reason to own a n64.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

Get No Mercy.
WCW vs nWo: World Tour
WCW/nWO: Revenge
WWF Wrestlemania 2000
WWF No Mercy

Are all from the same developer and were released in that order. No Mercy is the most refined game using that formula. Biggest roster, most moves, most weapons, weapon permanence (they don't disappear when you drop them), most arenas, most match types, best create a wrestler, etc.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I’ll probably just pick up Revenge and No Mercy for now.

Ya I did some research after making this thread...AKI is indeed awesome...looks like they made the Def Jam games too. I thought about picking FFNY on GameCube till I saw the fucking prices, over $100...ridiculous.

Oh well, the n64 games should be good for now and looking forward to playing some n64 again!

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
If don't mind navigating the Japanese menus, Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 is deepest game in the series, even more so than No Mercy. More moves, some wrestlers have a second, "burning finisher" and so on. Great roster, before all the Japanese company's went to shit.

But you can't go wrong with any of the AKI games, all of them are perfect wrestling games, made by people who loved wrestling.

The Tōhkon Road games are okay, but New Japan always seemed to the short end of the stick when it came to games. Not bad, but no where near the quality of AKI.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
One of these games is a must for Top 10 multiplayer, easily. I think I put the most time into Revenge, but the WWF titles are excellent as well. Combing through my newly arrived Nintendo Power and World Tour brings back great memories. Do you remember how epic it was to do co-op moves in tag matches?

I think the mod scene for this engine is still active, too bad they're rumored to be unsupported on the Everdrive.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I loved WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy. I actually played No Mercy so much we were able to afford the Hoe.

Their custom character options were awesome for their time. So many ladder matches in No Mercy.